Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you take a demo with 67 miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello - I just came back from looking at a M3P demo with only 67 miles on it. Exact config I'm looking for, new-ish build with Ryzen, etc. so all good on that front. I just have two concerns that I'm curious about your thoughts on:

1) The car is obviously in excellent shape overall, probably a 9 or 9.5/10 but one thing that surprised me is that there are already some very tiny chips on the rear bumper piece that sits directly behind the rear wheels. Again, they are very small and on the inside of the wheel well, but I'm crazy with this stuff. Would these even be present on a new M3P off the truck?

2) Because of the low mileage, they aren't offering any discount. This isn't that surprising given the current climate, but interesting nonetheless.

Only you can answer if 67 miles is worth it vs waiting however long to get one with 6 miles.

but one thing that surprised me is that there are already some very tiny chips on the rear bumper piece that sits directly behind the rear wheels.
If you got a brand new car with 0 miles right outside the factory, what would you do with it to prevent this from happening to your car? Sounds like completely irrelevant and normal wear and tear that won't make any difference once the car has 1000 miles on it.

I would.

In the old (ICE) days, you used to worry that the engines in demos were burnt by lots of short, cold-engine test drives that would promote early wear on the cylinders.

In the Tesla world, you don't really "burn out" the motors or even battery by quick demo drives. In fact, in your case, the car has likely not even had a charge cycle to charge up to 100% and left there - the only case I can think of abusing a new EV.

If the tires look fine, and the inside has been cleaned (I would hope so!)., I don't think there's much concern about wear within 67 miles (IMHO of course, you asked).

Yeah, these cars get lots of chips. Mostly in *front* of the rear wheels (oddly enough) which is why Tesla sells a protection film kit for the rockers and re-branded Dr. Colorchip kits for the paint.

And as others noted, unlike a fossil car, there's no amount of abusive thrashing that test drivers can do to hurt an EV other than slightly wearing down the tires/brakes.

Reactions: calidreamz808
I would.

67 miles is basically nothing, and it is not like an ICE car that you have to worry about if or if it was not ripped around when the engine was cold. As for the paint chips, well, Teslas are not known for their incredible paint quality.

Reactions: KuramaKitsune
If it's being sold as a new car, then those chips should be repaired under warranty. Assuming that is the case, yes, I'd accept it. The mileage isn't material in my book. I bought a similar car, although I got a discount on it, and some of the chrome window trim was scuffed. They fixed it, no problem.
yes, this. but only you can decide how much the chips, repaired or not, trouble you.

I’d absolutely take the demo if it’s the exact configuration you want.

Paint chips are a fact of life, and unless you plan on doing paint protection film immediately after taking delivery, a fresh-off-the-truck car will get them quickly.

Id definitely recommended doing some investigating on whether or not you’d be eligible for any incentives/rebates.

Before I ordered a brand new m3p I considered a demo (at least I think it was a demo) and it wasn’t sold as a brand new car so I wouldnt have been ineligible for the rebates and such.

My first mid range 3 had 50 miles on it when I picked it up new. Not a demo. I believe back in 2019 (Seattle area) the cars were being shipped to Seattle (possibly by rail) then driven to the service center in Bellevue for pickup. I would think of as 67 mile test and nothing major was found!! I was a bit more nervous driving away with my 2020 with only 3 miles on it. I felt more comfortable once it had a few miles on it with no issues.

Thanks for the input everyone! Just to clarify on the chips, they are in the section of the rear bumper that wraps around to the inner fender/wheel well. Basically the edge where you would mount the rear mudflaps to. Nothing crazy by any means, but again I'm super OCD.

I suppose this could happen to an even newer car with less mileage though as others have suggested. Also, I do plan on getting ceramic and PPF right after delivery if I take the car.

Hello - I just came back from looking at a M3P demo with only 67 miles on it. Exact config I'm looking for, new-ish build with Ryzen, etc. so all good on that front. I just have two concerns that I'm curious about your thoughts on:

1) The car is obviously in excellent shape overall, probably a 9 or 9.5/10 but one thing that surprised me is that there are already some very tiny chips on the rear bumper piece that sits directly behind the rear wheels. Again, they are very small and on the inside of the wheel well, but I'm crazy with this stuff. Would these even be present on a new M3P off the truck?

2) Because of the low mileage, they aren't offering any discount. This isn't that surprising given the current climate, but interesting nonetheless.
i got mine as a "new inventory" car, and when i went for pick up the odometer read FIVE miles,
the only ass that has Graced that seat has been my own, my fathers (like once lol) and the repair techs