Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you take a Model 3 with a cracked windshield on a 1200 Mile trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, here is my dilemma:

Just got a M3 LR, on our way from the dealership the windshield cracked (13 inches, drivers side from the edge). We have to make a round trip from FL to NY (1200) miles one way. We also have a 2020 M3 SR+. Do I take the LR with the cracked windshield, slight risk of it getting worse, add about 2400 miles to a brand new car or the SR+ with 34k on the odometer? One will add about 5 charging stops to the trip and one extra miles. Any advice?

I picked up a BMW from Munich, in their eurodelivery program, and toured Europe for a few weeks. Driving from Normandy south past Paris, I got hit by a rock, which started a 12" crack. I immediately stopped and found a BMW service center down an alley near Versailles. I have no idea how I found the place, because my french is very poor. Anyway, in my broken french, the BMW tech told me I would be fine to continue on my holiday, since the windshield was laminated and that it would be repaired during the shipping process to the US. I continued on my way south to Italy and Rome, stopping along the way, and eventually worked my way back to Paris, where I dropped it off at the drop-off point under the Arc de Triomphe. The windshield got replaced at the VSC in New Jersey, along with the radio, and tires! They took off the sport tires I used in Europe for 4400 miles and put on all-seasons which were the US spec. I was sorry to see those tires go.

Reactions: Big Earl
Unless the crack is in your direct line of sight, it's not a safety concern (as in, the windshield won't shatter and fall apart on you). I would get a temporarily fix if I were you, however. That involves drilling a tiny hole at the end of the crack then filling the hole and the crack with resin. This is to prevent the crack from spreading further. Most windshield shops can do that for you for like $30-50.

I wouldn't have a problem with driving it as long as the crack isn't in line of sight of the driver (nor of the front cameras if you plan on using Autopilot). I know people that drive their vehicles with cracked windshields for years without issue. As was said by another commenter, the windshield glass sandwiches a clear layer of plastic adhesive that's pretty tough, so there is no risk of the windshield coming apart or anything.

Ok, here is my dilemma:

Just got a M3 LR, on our way from the dealership the windshield cracked (13 inches, drivers side from the edge). We have to make a round trip from FL to NY (1200) miles one way. We also have a 2020 M3 SR+. Do I take the LR with the cracked windshield, slight risk of it getting worse, add about 2400 miles to a brand new car or the SR+ with 34k on the odometer? One will add about 5 charging stops to the trip and one extra miles. Any advice?

You can drive with a cracked windshield no problem.

One thing to note is, that you can get your windshield swapped at any reputable windshield shop, typically with a few days lead time and a few hours wait time (while they swap it) so you could also book it along the way. You can also get a crackstop (microdrilling) treatment to it and just go on the trip and schedule a swap swapped afterwards.

I've had several cracks in the windshields of threel different cars. On a Volvo C30 the crack got bigger and bigger until it went from one side of the windshield to the other. In the other two cases (a Jeep Grand Cherokee and an Eagle Talon Tsi), the cracks never got bigger than a few inches. My point is, you never know what's going to happen with a windshield crack, so I'd recommend getting it repaired as soon as possible.

Making an appointment for windshield replacement at Tesla will more of less cause you to drive 1200 miles or more, because that’s how far out your appointment will be anyway.

And yet, I recently (as in 2 weeks ago or so) had a cracked windshield on a friday evening, made the appointment friday night in the app for the first available which was a week away, called the SC directly when they opened and said "I was calling to see if you could fit me in because I need to use my car for work".

They said "let me check to see if the part is in stock.... yep I have one, come on down right now".

I dropped the car off, they replaced the windshield during the day monday and I picked it up monday evening. I am not the only person that has had that experience here on TMC either.

People love to pile on Tesla for for stuff, and many times rightly so, but there are also sometimes when they take really good care of people. Its just that any post saying that gets buried in the forum because no one wants to read about "I am happy" yet everyone loves to read about "FSD tried to kill me" from a poster with 1 post.

You can drive with a cracked windshield no problem.

One thing to note is, that you can get your windshield swapped at any reputable windshield shop, typically with a few days lead time and a few hours wait time (while they swap it) so you could also book it along the way. You can also get a crackstop (microdrilling) treatment to it and just go on the trip and schedule a swap swapped afterwards.

That would be the case if anyone has the OEM windshield in stock, and in the US at least I dont think there is any third party windshield available. The chances of someone beside tesla having it in stock are virtually zero. Third party shops will have to order from tesla, and some mention it takes weeks to get.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
And yet, I recently (as in 2 weeks ago or so) had a cracked windshield on a friday evening, made the appointment friday night in the app for the first available which was a week away, called the SC directly when they opened and said "I was calling to see if you could fit me in because I need to use my car for work".

They said "let me check to see if the part is in stock.... yep I have one, come on down right now".

I dropped the car off, they replaced the windshield during the day monday and I picked it up monday evening. I am not the only person that has had that experience here on TMC either.

People love to pile on Tesla for for stuff, and many times rightly so, but there are also sometimes when they take really good care of people. Its just that any post saying that gets buried in the forum because no one wants to read about "I am happy" yet everyone loves to read about "FSD tried to kill me" from a poster with 1 post.

That would be the case if anyone has the OEM windshield in stock, and in the US at least I dont think there is any third party windshield available. The chances of someone beside tesla having it in stock are virtually zero. Third party shops will have to order from tesla, and some mention it takes weeks to get.
I'm guessing the model Y windshield is the same as the model 3? That's what the insurance quote shows, even though it has the right Vin.
My logic would be to take the car with the already-broken windshield. With my luck, if I took the other car, it would also get a chip or a crack. ;)
Lol, sounds like me. I'll just stick with the SR+ for this one. The weather isn't the best, temp differences, snow, rain, with my luck the whole thing will end up cracked by the end of my trip!

Personal preference, but I wouldn't worry about driving with a cracked windshield as I have done so in the past and have survived. My question is how did it crack? If due to a defect, I would have it documented at Tesla immediately via the app.