Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you take delivery if....

Would you take delivery of a new vehicle that had a drive unit replaced?

• Yes -- it is all under warranty

Votes: 39 81.3%
  • No -- major service work on a brand new vehicle?! That's crazy!

Votes: 9 18.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered my Model X 100D a few months ago, and May 2nd was supposed to be the fateful day.
However, I received a call on May 1st, and I was notified that the car would not be ready for delivery. There was a problem, and the service center needed to look at it.

Today, I found out that there is a problem with the drive unit and that it has to be replaced.

Should I accept delivery of the vehicle after the drive unit has been fixed? It is supposed to have an 8-year, infinite mile warranty, and it is being replaced, so it _should_ be fine...

But I still feel uncomfortable taking delivery of a vehicle that has had major work done to it, like replacing a drive unit.

Is this kind of work discoverable? Will it affect future resale value?

Thanks in advance for any advice / thoughts.

It's not going to impact future resale value because it's not documented on anything a perspective used car buyer would see.

It's simply something the service center caught and prevented you from having to deal with.

I think it simply sounds bad because the drive unit encompasses so much. If it had been an ICE car you'd likely take delivery if they just replaced some bad sensor.

The actual fix may have been something as simple as a bad electronics component. Stuff we know will tend to fail early if it's going to fail.

I hear you 100%, my point is in a traditional dealership model you have no idea what work they may have had to do to the "new" car you're buying before they sold it to you... At least here, the OP knows...

Jeff
You are absolutely correct, however if I were to ever find out.......

There are just some things that I would never accept as "like new". Cars? Underwear? Toilet Paper? Kids and the things that keep you from having them?

I apologize.

• Funny
Reactions: Lu Ann
I'd take it just as leverage for concessions now and later.

I'd find a way to pin the fwd mis alignment somehow on "must have happened when you Yahoos replaced that drive unit!"

What do you mean I don't get two tesla umbrellas and coffee mugs. Least you could for me after giving me a lemon on day 1.

Nice jacket you are wearing. Does that come in XXXXL?

Last edited:
They're replacing a new DUD drive unit for another new good drive unit. I don't see any issues. It would be similar to having Apple replace your iPhone screen before taking it out the door. You won't notice any difference and I can't imagine that there would be any future impact.

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with it and I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.