TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Would You Take Delivery?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by BFData, May 2, 2018.

1. BFData

BFData Member

Unfortunately my Model 3 arrived to the delivery location, but it’s got a small scrape on the front bumper from transport.

I’ve communicated with my ISA communicating that I’m aware of the damage and that I want it corrected before I take delivery. I would prefer not to refuse vin since my loan with my credit union is now active.

Delivery was scheduled for this coming Friday, but I’m suspecting the entire front bumper will need to be repainted causing a delay. I hate to have a repaint for fear of the paint not matching performing like the OEM paint would but am not sure of a better option.

If the bumper needs a repaint any ideas on how long this will take? I’m not sure why they don’t cover cars in transport. Seems like a low cost measure for preventive maintenance to avoid these issues.

Attached Files:

2. SSonnentag

SSonnentag Active Member

Since the scratch is on plastic, I'd accept and let them fix it. If it were on metal I'd be a lot more leery. Color matching won't be an issue.

They'll probably farm it out to a body shop. I've had excellent experiences with every body shop my cars have gone to, which is why I would not worry about it too much.

• Like x 2
  3. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Agreed, I'd let Tesla fix it in post. And if they can't fix it to your satisfaction, get Tesla to send a bumper to your SC and replace it.

• Like x 2
  4. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Take delivery, negotiate a credit and live with the "unacceptable" delivery scratch.

I'm not making any excuses for the poor effort in transport BUT removing the bumper and repairing it will possibly create more unseen little issues like broken clips etc. If my pearl white MX is anything to go by you're going to have small stone damage that is going to show the underlying black plastic. Yes, I even have SunTek clear wrap. It's bug proof but no rock proof.

A few hundred bucks of credit will make you feel better and buy an awful lot of Supercharging

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  5. PHd410

PHd410 Member

I'd take delivery to enjoy the benefit and joy of the long-awaited car. It's a minor imperfection that can be arranged for correction post delivery. Unless you're careful of your 3, you'll likely to have worse 'wear' after just a few months.

• Like x 1
  6. BFData

BFData Member

I appreciate the suggestion, but I have planned a Suntek ultra wrap on the front end plus a C Quartz coating. If the front end isn’t repaired it kind of defeats the purpose of the clear bra.

7. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

Our MS was driven 5 miles to our detailer after delivery. There was road rock chip getting there. Midnight Silver Metallic. The detailer cleans the car super well and then they do corrective paint work on anything they see. We had that one rock chip and a scratch we either didn't see or whatever. They did their paint work and then did our Xpel Ultimate wrap and even though we had taken pictures of where it was we couldn't tell where they worked on it. I wouldn't be too concerned. Good thing IMO to get some paint protection added afterwards though. You might want to ask your detailer if you have a lot of confidence in them if they would rather do the paint correction for that scratch.

• Like x 1
  8. MistaEV

MistaEV Member

Maybe I should try to stay away from these boards for the next 3-5 days so that I do not worry myself over whether or not my car will have any issues (scratches, dirty finger prints on the interior lining, panel gaps, headlight protrusions, chips/scuffs/scratches in the paint, pano roof issues, etc...

9. jlghertner

jlghertner Member

Get itnrepaire before you take it. I bought a car like that scratch and it bugged the hell out of me seemingly forever. You can live w your own damage but not someone else’s.

• Like x 1
  10. EV-lutioin

EV-lutioin Active Member

I would take delivery and have your detailer fix it and send the bill to Tesla. I have used this method several times with Tesla and it worked great. I feel more comfortable having a detailer I trust do the work. If you plan to get it wrapped or coated, you can do both at the same time.

• Like x 1
  11. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

They're repainting both the hood and, I believe, passenger door on my metallic blue because of paint chip/scratches/panel misalignment. Service King is who they use, and the work they do is pretty stellar. That's the faith I have to hold onto anyway.

12. BFData

BFData Member

I spoke to my detailer. They have been highly reviewed, but they don’t do paint correction besides a clay bar polish. Their advice was if the paint is broken, Tesla needs to fix it before taking delivery.

• Informative x 1
  13. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Did they know it is a plastic piece? (I'd understand the paint issue with metal)

I understand the ugg factor of a known issue. My personal feel, and no bearing on your choice, is that if I had to worry about ever kissing a curb/ parking lot separator , I could never drive.

14. BFData

BFData Member

Yeah. They said that Tesla should fix it before I bring it to them. If I wasn’t spending so much money for this car, I’d probably be fine with it, but this car is over double what I’ve ever spent on a car and that’s why I’m getting PPF and C-Quartz. So for these reasons, I’m going to want the paint perfect on delivery.

• Like x 1
  15. mongo

mongo Well-Known Member

Totally understandable!

16. BFData

BFData Member

Tesla just called me. They’re going to bring it into the body shop for repair. I’m glad this is happening and it’s getting fixed before delivery.

• Like x 2
  17. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

Good to hear.

18. SMAlset

SMAlset Well-Known Member

You should check with your detailer as to when now you'll be able to get it wrapped. Can't do it on fresh body work paint.

19. BFData

BFData Member

That’s a good idea. I told them they were repainting it and we needed to reschedule. We rescheduled for the morning after I take delivery. I’ll call them to see what they say about this timeline.

20. BFData

BFData Member

Thank you for the tip. I called my detailer and reminded him that the delay is due to a repaint of the bumper and asked him if there needs to be time between the repaint and install of Suntek Ultra PPF. He said yes and recommended a week, so I’ve delayed the time that I’ll drop off the car. I take delivery on 5/9 and will drop off the car on 5/15. In the meantime, I won’t be doing any highway driving to try and avoid rock chips.