Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would You Take Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately my Model 3 arrived to the delivery location, but it’s got a small scrape on the front bumper from transport.

I’ve communicated with my ISA communicating that I’m aware of the damage and that I want it corrected before I take delivery. I would prefer not to refuse vin since my loan with my credit union is now active.

Delivery was scheduled for this coming Friday, but I’m suspecting the entire front bumper will need to be repainted causing a delay. I hate to have a repaint for fear of the paint not matching performing like the OEM paint would but am not sure of a better option.

If the bumper needs a repaint any ideas on how long this will take? I’m not sure why they don’t cover cars in transport. Seems like a low cost measure for preventive maintenance to avoid these issues.

Attachments

• 20C20B09-910C-4022-BDFF-7AB11425971B.jpeg
    20C20B09-910C-4022-BDFF-7AB11425971B.jpeg
    382.1 KB · Views: 235
Take delivery, negotiate a credit and live with the "unacceptable" delivery scratch.

I'm not making any excuses for the poor effort in transport BUT removing the bumper and repairing it will possibly create more unseen little issues like broken clips etc. If my pearl white MX is anything to go by you're going to have small stone damage that is going to show the underlying black plastic. Yes, I even have SunTek clear wrap. It's bug proof but no rock proof.

A few hundred bucks of credit will make you feel better and buy an awful lot of Supercharging

Take delivery, negotiate a credit and live with the "unacceptable" delivery scratch.

I'm not making any excuses for the poor effort in transport BUT removing the bumper and repairing it will possibly create more unseen little issues like broken clips etc. If my pearl white MX is anything to go by you're going to have small stone damage that is going to show the underlying black plastic. Yes, I even have SunTek clear wrap. It's bug proof but no rock proof.

A few hundred bucks of credit will make you feel better and buy an awful lot of Supercharging
I appreciate the suggestion, but I have planned a Suntek ultra wrap on the front end plus a C Quartz coating. If the front end isn’t repaired it kind of defeats the purpose of the clear bra.

Our MS was driven 5 miles to our detailer after delivery. There was road rock chip getting there. Midnight Silver Metallic. The detailer cleans the car super well and then they do corrective paint work on anything they see. We had that one rock chip and a scratch we either didn't see or whatever. They did their paint work and then did our Xpel Ultimate wrap and even though we had taken pictures of where it was we couldn't tell where they worked on it. I wouldn't be too concerned. Good thing IMO to get some paint protection added afterwards though. You might want to ask your detailer if you have a lot of confidence in them if they would rather do the paint correction for that scratch.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
Maybe I should try to stay away from these boards for the next 3-5 days so that I do not worry myself over whether or not my car will have any issues (scratches, dirty finger prints on the interior lining, panel gaps, headlight protrusions, chips/scuffs/scratches in the paint, pano roof issues, etc...

I would take delivery and have your detailer fix it and send the bill to Tesla. I have used this method several times with Tesla and it worked great. I feel more comfortable having a detailer I trust do the work. If you plan to get it wrapped or coated, you can do both at the same time.

Reactions: Esme Es Mejor
They're repainting both the hood and, I believe, passenger door on my metallic blue because of paint chip/scratches/panel misalignment. Service King is who they use, and the work they do is pretty stellar. That's the faith I have to hold onto anyway.

I would take delivery and have your detailer fix it and send the bill to Tesla. I have used this method several times with Tesla and it worked great. I feel more comfortable having a detailer I trust do the work. If you plan to get it wrapped or coated, you can do both at the same time.
I spoke to my detailer. They have been highly reviewed, but they don’t do paint correction besides a clay bar polish. Their advice was if the paint is broken, Tesla needs to fix it before taking delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: EV-lutioin
I spoke to my detailer. They have been highly reviewed, but they don’t do paint correction besides a clay bar polish. Their advice was if the paint is broken, Tesla needs to fix it before taking delivery.

Did they know it is a plastic piece? (I'd understand the paint issue with metal)

I understand the ugg factor of a known issue. My personal feel, and no bearing on your choice, is that if I had to worry about ever kissing a curb/ parking lot separator , I could never drive.

Did they know it is a plastic piece? (I'd understand the paint issue with metal)

I understand the ugg factor of a known issue. My personal feel, and no bearing on your choice, is that if I had to worry about ever kissing a curb/ parking lot separator , I could never drive.
Yeah. They said that Tesla should fix it before I bring it to them. If I wasn’t spending so much money for this car, I’d probably be fine with it, but this car is over double what I’ve ever spent on a car and that’s why I’m getting PPF and C-Quartz. So for these reasons, I’m going to want the paint perfect on delivery.

Reactions: mongo
Yeah. They said that Tesla should fix it before I bring it to them. If I wasn’t spending so much money for this car, I’d probably be fine with it, but this car is over double what I’ve ever spent on a car and that’s why I’m getting PPF and C-Quartz. So for these reasons, I’m going to want the paint perfect on delivery.
Totally understandable!

That’s a good idea. I told them they were repainting it and we needed to reschedule. We rescheduled for the morning after I take delivery. I’ll call them to see what they say about this timeline.
Thank you for the tip. I called my detailer and reminded him that the delay is due to a repaint of the bumper and asked him if there needs to be time between the repaint and install of Suntek Ultra PPF. He said yes and recommended a week, so I’ve delayed the time that I’ll drop off the car. I take delivery on 5/9 and will drop off the car on 5/15. In the meantime, I won’t be doing any highway driving to try and avoid rock chips.