Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you trade in Model 3 for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RoBoRaT

PoPeYeD'SaiLoRDuDe
Nov 22, 2018
NorthSoCal
I have a 2018 LR AWD Model 3,
1 year old with 42K miles (almost out of warranty). The car has been great for daily 160 mile commute.

Essentially paid $46.5K after incentives back in Dec 2018, and $5K for Autopilot/FSD.

I thought to keep the car until it's dead, but the Model Y is tempting.

Would you trade it in for a Y?
I really need a good excuse to convince the wifey. :confused::)

20200124_202551.jpg

I placed an order for model 3 knowing the model Y is on the way, and was considering a model Y initially. Y had 280mi range pushing 300, it looks like a Prius, and currently does not come with optional 3rd row ( I am told). I will wait a couple of yrs and add the model Y when they increase the range (400 perhaps), the 3rd row, and will know for sure if it really looks like a Prius.

Reactions: RoBoRaT
I placed an order for model 3 knowing the model Y is on the way, and was considering a model Y initially. Y had 280mi range pushing 300, it looks like a Prius, and currently does not come with optional 3rd row ( I am told). I will wait a couple of yrs and add the model Y when they increase the range (400 perhaps), the 3rd row, and will know for sure if it really looks like a Prius.

It looks like a fat 3 with features of model X rear. I can't picture it looking like a Prius.

400 miles will be nice. In a year, I won't be commuting long like I do now, so even low 300s will do.

Reactions: fallen888
It’s always a matter of personal taste and necessity. I’ve always preferred the look of the Model S compared to the X, and the Model 3 suits me perfectly. Love the looks and it’s nimble to drive spirited. With a Thule Motion XT L roof box I have plenty of storage for long trips and passengers when required. So for me, no thanks! I don’t like the rear end of the Y at all (nor the X).

It’s always a matter of personal taste and necessity. I’ve always preferred the look of the Model S compared to the X, and the Model 3 suits me perfectly. Love the looks and it’s nimble to drive spirited. With a Thule Motion XT L roof box I have plenty of storage for long trips and passengers when required. So for me, no thanks! I don’t like the rear end of the Y at all (nor the X).

From YouTube videos the rear end looks like a Prius to me.

I'm sure it's going to be a great vehicle. There are so many positives. But there are a bunch of reasons to keep your Model 3:

Cost: factor in added cost, no federal tax credit, depreciation, etc.
Longer range and better performance (both acceleration and handling) for the same trim level
Have to repurchase all of those accessories I'm sure you've bought for your Model 3 (I know I've put in at least $3K and a good amount of time adding accessories)
Is your Model 3's premium internet connectivity grandfathered in?
I can't imagine a big increase in joy level over a Model 3

Cost not being an issue, we would definitely trade in one of our Model 3s for a Model Y. But cost IS certainly a major issue and the Model 3 is go great, we don't see upgrading, at least initially. Now if they release a Model Y with a bigger battery and longer range, that would push us to probably upgrade.

I'm sure it's going to be a great vehicle. There are so many positives. But there are a bunch of reasons to keep your Model 3:

Cost: factor in added cost, no federal tax credit, depreciation, etc.
Longer range and better performance (both acceleration and handling) for the same trim level
Have to repurchase all of those accessories I'm sure you've bought for your Model 3 (I know I've put in at least $3K and a good amount of time adding accessories)
Is your Model 3's premium internet connectivity grandfathered in?
I can't imagine a big increase in joy level over a Model 3

Cost not being an issue, we would definitely trade in one of our Model 3s for a Model Y. But cost IS certainly a major issue and the Model 3 is go great, we don't see upgrading, at least initially. Now if they release a Model Y with a bigger battery and longer range, that would push us to probably upgrade.

All good points, and I agree. I appreciate your perspective.

Nope; don't like SUV

Trading my Model 3 for a Y is exactly what I am going to do. Order placed.
The Model 3 is the first sedan I've owned in 30 years so look forward to not having to borrow my wife's larger car to carry stuff.
While I love my 3 I'm going to appreciate many of the improvements with the Y. Not having a center cross beam overhead is just one example
besides the powered liftgate and who knows maybe a heated steering wheel. My wife will also appreciate getting in the Y as reports indicate this will be easier.
And the fact my Tesla stock which I bought in 2012 mitigates the cost to upgrade doesn't hurt either:)

Then just get the 5 seater, use the 3K for recliners - and give me the 2nd row seats.
I'll put jn my garage. It'll be good for sitting while putting on/off shoes. ;)
I was wondering in fact if the 7 seat floor would be different than the 5 seat floor,
because the 7 seat should have some kind of space under the second row for the feet of the 3rd row passenger?
But that just speculation. In fact is there any floor difference for the Model X between the 5, 6, and 7 seats?