Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you trade your Roadster in on the new Roadster?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't own a Roadster but I had one as a loaner for a couple of days when my Model S was in for service. In many ways I loved the Roadster but it felt a generation or more behind the Model S and it felt sluggish compared to my P85D. So a Roadster with all of the latest technology and Maximum Plaid mode would be awesome! It should be able to top the P100D in specs.

The current roadster is rapidly entering the classic category, representing an important step in automotive history. You either love it for its unique driving experience/"low" tech environment and excellent manual steering handling character or not. There are faster cars now such as p100d, and that will be replaced by faster and better handling cars with improved ESS etc. Speed seems to be rapidly declining as a unique differentiator, it is more the entire driving experience.

New roadster will be a completely different type of car. I personally hope tesla makes a model 3 / roadster that has outstanding steering feedback and be competitive in that arena with the likes of bmw/porsche and even the current roadster. We all know all the other aspects will be fantastic. If so, yes a new roadster may be in my very far future after a performance AWD 3 for daily use...but the current roadster will likely always have a home in the garage.

Reactions: dhrivnak
>>The current roadster is rapidly entering the classic category, representing an important step in automotive history.

While I agree with this, I'm really disappointed in the current market. Cars just aren't selling. And the asking price has dropped substantially over the past year. A year ago I was thrilled to get my car for the low, low, price of 'only' $70,000. Today I would be lucky to get $60,000 for it, if any offer at all, because cars are sitting at that price unsold for months and months a time.

Frankly, I think it may be a situation with the economy that may be affecting resale value on nearly all specialty non-daily driver cars. Maybe nobody feels like they have enough money to spend. I'm not sure, but it's a little disappointing.

John, I really do agree, I notice the same. Price may go up, may go down (but likely not crash much). It just may be way, way too early for the general collector's market. We may be still firmly within the ev enthusiast market. If Tesla failed and the ev market never took off, then the roadster would be an interesting blip of automobile novelty. The ev market is clearly taking off and facts are facts regarding the roadster's place in history... there is little argument on the facts, it just may be a decade or two before the general automobile enthusiast market really cares. We can enjoy until then, and may not even sell then. As with all "collector" cars, one should purchase because you really like the car, so if the price bottoms, you still can enjoy the car :) The real issue is if it is a short term purchase and after 3.0 battery, etc, it may be difficult to recoup the investment to purchase a replacement car when one decides to sell the roadster. Collecting a couple of cars in the past, the phrase you routinely hear: "I had one of those, I should have never sold it!". (One could also argue for the first gen HEVs: Insight and Toyota Prius as a good piece for a collection of automotive electrification, definitely game changers)

Hard to imagine trading the original Roadster in, as long as it's supported. I prefer its lines over S/X/3. It's historic. The "low tech" / spartan aspects add to its uniqueness. Will have a Model 3 for new tech conveniences.

Rather than a supercar/hypercar, it would be interesting if a new Tesla convertible aimed more broadly. If based on Model 3 platform (w/ lighter body), might it start at a moderate premium over the Model 3/Y? A bit like the Miata with retractable hardtop vs. the Mazda 3, but in Tesla's world: $50k (base) to $100k (high end). Still specialized, still Max Plaid, but more accessible.

It will be interesting to see if the new Roadster is more of a mid-range vehicle like a Miata, or if they go after the high end of the market at $100k+. They should have no problems making a version that is the fastest car on the road - given that one of the main competitors is a larger Tesla Model S.

It will be interesting to see if the new Roadster is more of a mid-range vehicle like a Miata, or if they go after the high end of the market at $100k+. They should have no problems making a version that is the fastest car on the road - given that one of the main competitors is a larger Tesla Model S.
Based on Elon's comments that they are reserving the fastest version of their drivetrain (Maximum Plaid - Spaceballs reference) for the next Roadster I strongly believe it will be in the $150k+ range. To be another step above Ludicrous implies that it will be quicker (0-60) than all but a handful of super/hypercars.

Based on Elon's comments that they are reserving the fastest version of their drivetrain (Maximum Plaid - Spaceballs reference) for the next Roadster I strongly believe it will be in the $150k+ range. To be another step above Ludicrous implies that it will be quicker (0-60) than all but a handful of super/hypercars.
I think you are right but that Maximum Plaid quote is from July 2015 - in the most recent mention buy Tesla of a new Roadster, which may have just been a tweet from Elon, there was no mention of extreme performance - just that it will be a convertible, in response to a question tweeted to EM.

I think you are right but that Maximum Plaid quote is from July 2015 - in the most recent mention buy Tesla of a new Roadster, which may have just been a tweet from Elon, there was no mention of extreme performance - just that it will be a convertible, in response to a question tweeted to EM.

Am thinking only top-of-the-line gets Max Plaid. For Model S, the base 75 kwh has 5.5 sec 0-60 whereas P100D w/ Ludicrous is 2.5 sec. Then Electric GT's stripped P100D gets 2.1 sec and gives Tesla a number to beat...:rolleyes:

Makes me wonder what ground-up sports car on Model 3 skateboard could do, especially if built for lightness. Maybe it will just overlap the S/X price range using a whole bunch of carbon fiber.

But I still imagine they will make more of the new Tesla convertible than the ~2500 original Roadsters, which is part of the reason to keep the original.

I think the new Tesla Roadster will have more of a supercar look and definitely cost more than the highest performance Model S, currently the P100D. The Roadster would have to cost more because Tesla has reserved Maximum Plaid, a step above Ludicrous, for the Roadster. What hurts the Roadster is - and this is just my opinion - that people are waiting on the next Tesla Roadster with a more exotic body. I am, but still like the looks of the old Roadster. Elon Musk has already admitted Tesla's first Roadster was a disaster. But, to date, there is no viable alternative sports EV available from any car maker. They are coming in the next few years. I think at that time the market will address the desirability of the original Roadster.

My father is a docent at a car museum. Maybe the thing to do is donate it. Most people who own Roadsters can probably use a tax write off which might be about as good as a sale. And you could still visit the car.
A tax write off will only provide the value of your marginal tax rate. At most, you'd get 39% of the cars value. The average Roadster owner would probably get a tax dedication of about 25% of the cars value, but then you might be in AMT territory.

In short, you don't donate for the tax write off. You have to value the purpose of the organization.

... What hurts the Roadster is - and this is just my opinion - that people are waiting on the next Tesla Roadster with a more exotic body. I am, but still like the looks of the old Roadster. ...
I don't think it is just the exotic body, I think it is the acceleration and also the "bells and whistles" like the screen and other technology. I haven't driven Roadsters a lot but on the loaner that I got from Tesla the acceleration was nowhere near as good as my P85D and that is even before I got the Ludicrous upgrade. I keep my eyes open for Roadsters on the market but I think it is far more likely that I will wait until Tesla introduces the new one, but that could still be many years away.

I don't think it is just the exotic body, I think it is the acceleration and also the "bells and whistles" like the screen and other technology. I haven't driven Roadsters a lot but on the loaner that I got from Tesla the acceleration was nowhere near as good as my P85D and that is even before I got the Ludicrous upgrade. I keep my eyes open for Roadsters on the market but I think it is far more likely that I will wait until Tesla introduces the new one, but that could still be many years away.
The Roadster was faster than the P85, but acceleration was eclipsed when the D was announced. The Roadster appeals to folks who appreciate the basics of the car. I like gadgets, but the Roadster is a pure driving experience.

I doubt a new roadster will show up in less than four years. (based on previous patterns, and Tesla's needs) I hope it does, as it will make the originals valuable as a collector. If it does show up, it will be a cushy, 2+2, more like a Lexus. I sold my 911 turbo to get the roadster sport as the 911 was too bloated. Now I need to sell. The following has happened to me four times, but tax time usually causes the syndrome: "I had one of those, I should have never sold it!".

Am thinking only top-of-the-line gets Max Plaid. For Model S, the base 75 kwh has 5.5 sec 0-60 whereas P100D w/ Ludicrous is 2.5 sec. Then Electric GT's stripped P100D gets 2.1 sec and gives Tesla a number to beat...:rolleyes:
Well that's the big question. Will the new Roadster become it's own line with base models on up to Max Plaid like the S, X, and 3, or will it be a single top-of-the-line-only model (or maybe base/sport variations like the original)? I'm thinking it's the latter as it's simpler to do a single model and it'll serve as a halo car to get people into galleries to then sell them a Model 3. I wouldn't rule out a convertible Model 3 at some point though.

I'm in the cold dead hands category. There will never be another one like the original Roadster. Any car with an under-floor battery will not replicate the seat of the pants, close to the road feel of the original.
well said. This is part of the reason it is so great in the twisties but also not so great in the boulevards. the route below- 2700 feet in climb over very tight turns under the canopy of redwoods and through the fog and up over the fog, with view of SF, the Pacific, and the bay. Use up your battery on the way up, recover a lot on the way down. The Roadster is more fun than the four types of Porsches I have tried. Second place to the roadster is a SWB 911. If the new roadster is ever built, I am sure it would not be as fun. But the roadster kind of sucks in the boulevards.

2am.png

2am1.png

2am2.png

well said. This is part of the reason it is so great in the twisties but also not so great in the boulevards. the route below- 2700 feet in climb over very tight turns under the canopy of redwoods and through the fog and up over the fog, with view of SF, the Pacific, and the bay. Use up your battery on the way up, recover a lot on the way down. The Roadster is more fun than the four types of Porsches I have tried. Second place to the roadster is a SWB 911. If the new roadster is ever built, I am sure it would not be as fun. But the roadster kind of sucks in the boulevards.
I am envious of that drive!

Reactions: dpeilow