Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would you upgrade your recent Model S to a new Long Range model?

What would it take for you to upgrade your Model S to new Long Range model?

• Let me keep my Unlimited Supercharging

Votes: 63 34.8%
  • Let me transfer my FSD to new car or give me free FSD

Votes: 20 11.0%
  • Nothing, happy to pay the difference to upgrade

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Let me choose options up to equivalent value of Ludicrous mode

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Other ( if you chose Other, please what it would be in the comments )

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • I'm happy with my current model, not going to upgrade it

Votes: 66 36.5%
  • Let me keep unlimited supercharging AND FSD!!

Votes: 39 21.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jwlsh

Sep 28, 2018
NJ
Curious how many people would consider upgrading from say a 75D or 100D with EAP 2.5 to a new LR model and what it would take for them to do that? The complimentary Ludicrous mode for those upgrading to Performance model is nice but I suspect many would rather keep features like unlimited supercharging, FSD, etc.

I am a 2 electric car family my 2016 TMS and a Fiat 500e one for short drives with only 88 miles of range and my TMS that can go anywhere with its free unlimited supercharger network. I will see how that plays but it was a decision factor when looking at model S's and 3's for me and my wife. No ICE in our family!! Happy Earth Year!

There needs to be a lot more than a 35 mile range extension and improved suspension (which I feel is fine as is) to get me to take a huge loss on my current 100D. They could include free supercharging and FSD and I wouldn't budge. Bear in mind I dropped $5k on XPEL Ultimate and CQuartz Finest, and no way I get any of that back on resale.

Reactions: GeoX750
Cost to upgrade from our awesome Ludicrous 2015 P85D+ (Plus Suspension) to a new Ludicrous Performance Model S (P100D) would be $60,000 (includes 7.75%CA sales tax)... even with the $20,000 “free” Ludicrous upgrade and $3,750 Federal tax credit. Definitely not worth it for us. Going to take a “quantum leap” improvement for us to spend that kind of coin.

This mini refresh isn't enough.
Been saying for a while now, the S should've been refreshed for several reasons prior to the 3 being launched.
Firstly, it's the self professed premium of their line up and the yield is much higher than the 3 yet it's still behind on tech.
It would have pushed 3 buyers to jump earlier into purchasing. Even now after this announcement, it still can't charge as fast, 0-60 times comparable for double the price and now they're 2170 cell constrained (and yet the S has a much better yield). Cash and flow is hurting them yet they're giving the better product to the lower end. Completely counter intuitive.
The whole slump in sales, could have been avoided or minimized.

I would consider it. i got one of the last 2018 75D with MCU1. Only drawback is that I've also got a sunroof, which I love.

So I'd be gaining 130 miles of range, MCU2...probably for cheaper than what I originally paid.

In the end, if i could upgrade the MCU, i'd be a happy camper. it's laughable how bad MCU1 is. My autopilot has even stopped working until I reboot the MCU.

Reactions: jlv1
I would consider it. i got one of the last 2018 75D with MCU1. Only drawback is that I've also got a sunroof, which I love.

So I'd be gaining 130 miles of range, MCU2...probably for cheaper than what I originally paid.

In the end, if i could upgrade the MCU, i'd be a happy camper. it's laughable how bad MCU1 is. My autopilot has even stopped working until I reboot the MCU.

Same here (except no sunroof). Also wouldn't mind the faster supercharging capability. It's a consideration, but I bet I would, once again, just barely miss the next iteration/improvement and then I'd be sitting here in a year wishing I had just waited a bit longer... !

Interesting that so many folks would consider upgrading if they were able to keep some of their existing perks and options ( are you listening Tesla?! )

Also a good sign that so many people would happily stay with their current model. Personally I love my 2018 75D and have never had an issue with range but I admit I am tempted with some of the new updates.

Reactions: David99
I'd pay the difference, sure, but that can't happen - and my 12/2018 S75D has depreciated so much it's not really an option. (I wonder if I could even sell it at this point.) I'd probably have to take a $30k hit in addition to the difference.

But if there was a way, I'd just pay the difference. I don't have free supercharging anyways. (Yes, there are MS owners without free supercharging!)

Charging faster than my 2015 S85d will hardly matter, because I just don't care about 5 or 10 minutes. I hate to lose the pano and free supercharging. If they had a refreshed interior that was great, and I could keep free supercharging, it might be worth it for me to get 100 miles added of range. I'm on the fence.

Reactions: 365gtb4
Give me plus suspension, some physical buttons for headlights, suspension, better phone integration (app screen sharing), and one week service with same or better Tesla loaner guarantee (backed by $500 a day allowance for rental while waiting for service or parts or loaner longer than one week) and extent the bumper to bumper warranty until 6 months after FSD is complete (let define it as unattended summon from anywhere within the car's range, any damage covered by Tesla).

The last one should be a total free no brainer for Tesla if Elon stands by his promises. He totally missed the 691hp he sold me on the P85D, so maybe he can stand behind the FSD with some tangible guarantees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Inside and outdoors
There's a lot to like about the refresh 100D for those of us who roadtrip a lot but it's not enough for me for take a bath on a car I just leased. I'd pay up if they release a 100D that can FSD and mine isn't able to do it because of un-upgrade-able hardware.

Range is probably the one thing that I would like to have. We bought ours at the last week of 2018 as we wanted the tax credit and this was one of the few in inventory that we could afford at the time. I don’t supercharge that often (even with the free 6 months) so the charging speed is not at the top of the list.