Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wouldn't it be a cool feature..if

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While the desire and reasoning for more range is perfectly valid, it makes absolutely no sense to add a separate battery. All the other EV manufacturers did exactly that: let's find a space in the car and squeeze some batteries in there. The whole design and concept of the Model S is that it has the most range reasonably possible. Cooling, heating, battery management, safety enclose, all of it is modular in one package. That's exactly why Tesla designed the Model S and it's battery the way it is. No one else comes even close in range. Adding an extra battery outside of this would create a long list of problems, safety issues and would gain very little at a high cost.

My understanding is that Tesla built the roadster based on the idea from the t-zero, one of the really great ideas the t-zero had was a range-extender trailer. It's too bad that Tesla never went anywhere with that, I think it could have been a great idea (what technology to use in the trailer is open to debate, but some way of getting at least the range of your average ICE would really help)

Very interesting points! I for one do like the mentioned, "hidden" storage area in the car to transport a 32amp charger and cable/plug-adapter set so I can hook up to various power outlets in areas where there are no superchargers. I think, this is favorable to adding a bit of range with an extra battery.

My understanding is that Tesla built the roadster based on the idea from the t-zero, one of the really great ideas the t-zero had was a range-extender trailer. It's too bad that Tesla never went anywhere with that, I think it could have been a great idea (what technology to use in the trailer is open to debate, but some way of getting at least the range of your average ICE would really help)

That same range extender trailer, Kawasaki engine coupled to generator, was also later used on a RAV4EV. It gave about 33 mpg, as I remember, with the engine racing, noisy, polluting. It had special axle geometry so it could be backed easily. Still had to pull into a gas station. The RAV4EV group STILL has one available sitting in a barn. Outside of having to have special wiring to connect it, and the hassle of getting it our of storage, it never caught on, and no one hardly ever used it. Even though it takes hours to recharge the battery on a RAV and even though you now have to haul along a gas can as another "range extender".

Supercharging beats it a mile. RV park charging beats it quite a ways, too. You'd have to haul it around on vacation, getting worse EV mileage, for the few miles you might need it. Driving a little slower for more range turns out to be a WAY better way to get extra range.

rav_longranger01.jpg

In the trunk of the Model S there is a storage compartment where the optional 3rd row seats stow away. Wouldn't it be cool if there was an option to have that compartment converted to a 2nd battery location?

I glad there is that extra storage space in the trunk since I have found a use for it that I don't want to give up. Thanks to certain threads in this Forum, I have been able to set up a donut spare that sits comfortably in the frunk. (Thanks, JST). So as not to compromise the remaining frunk space, all my ancillary equipment goes into that hidden trunk well: scissors jack, breaker bar, torque wrench wood pads for the jack, spare wrench sockets, flat tire kit (pump, goop, etc.), car care stuff (Optimum products and microfiber cloths), and the cable/plug adapters. Which, incidentally, probably contributes to maintaining proper front/rear weight balance. So far, I have not seen the need or practicality of having an additional battery, either there or anywhere else. But that's just me. YMMV.

Enginer Auxiliary Battery Pack | Plug In America

Range extender for the Leaf. Why not a Tesla?

We have one: It's called an 85 kWh battery. With Supercharging, you can drive across country for free, with no pollution. What a deal!

If I had a Leaf, I'd want more range, too, and a way to charge faster than 6.6 kW (as opposed to 125 for some other unknown car charge system).

Quick show of hands ... how many people on this thread advocating for range extenders have been driving a Tesla? And how many saying 'range extender not necessary' have been driving a Tesla?

I'll start. Tesla driver 3.5 years, no need for a range extender.

Quick show of hands ... how many people on this thread advocating for range extenders have been driving a Tesla? And how many saying 'range extender not necessary' have been driving a Tesla?

i've been wondering it as well. I can't see any reason to compromise the safety to add some extra mileage when the range is acceptable as a complete replacement for an internal combustion engine. And if you decide to take a trip to a place that does not have convenient or fast charging you could always rent if you feel that much pressure. For me, the car is fine the way it is. If they come out with a bigger battery pack that gives more range, I'll think about swapping to the new battery pack if I can, but otherwise, the 85kWh pack is all I really need.

Oh, as a note, I say no to the range extender in any form and I have not yet taken delivery of my Model S, yet. 38 days to go.

I have had my S40 for over a year now. I used to think range extenders were a good idea. But even with the small pack I am able to make reasonable trips, destination charge, and get home. So while I wouldn't call range extenders ridiculous, I do see why they wouldn't get a lot of use. Once you have enough chargers out there, who would want to haul all that stuff around?

I have had my S40 for over a year now. I used to think range extenders were a good idea. But even with the small pack I am able to make reasonable trips, destination charge, and get home. So while I wouldn't call range extenders ridiculous, I do see why they wouldn't get a lot of use. Once you have enough chargers out there, who would want to haul all that stuff around?

I'm glad you spoke up about the 40 kWh battery. It really puts things into perspective.

Adding the weight of an additional battery pack behind the rear axle would have a noticeable affect on the handling characteristics of the car, notably inducing even more understeer than the car already has. Then add in cargo and you may need wheelie bars to keep the front end on the ground. There's a reason for the current low-central battery location.

Adding the weight of an additional battery pack behind the rear axle would have a noticeable affect on the handling characteristics of the car, notably inducing even more understeer than the car already has. Then add in cargo and you may need wheelie bars to keep the front end on the ground. There's a reason for the current low-central battery location.
I'd expect it to induce significant oversteer, like a 911. Yes, it will lighten the front tires a bit, but not enough for them to loose substantial grip. Certainly not enough to offset the fact that all that weight in the butt will want to swap ends in a turn.

My 911 has 60%-65% of it's weight in the rear. "Understeer" is not in it's vocabulary. :smile:

My longest trip has been from Manchester, NH up to the White Mountains of NH. This is about 110 miles on google maps and some elevation gain. We started with a full charge and got to our campground with 7 miles of range left. I obviously don't have supercharging capabilities so that was our max range for the day. In New England that seems like a good amount of range. It can also get me down to Boston and back in good weather with about 5 miles of range to spare.

If I had still been living in TX I probably would have opted for the S60 since things are farther apart there. I may still upgrade one day, but for now, anything that is farther than about 100 ish miles means we take the family truckster. Still better than a range extender I think. And with the truckster we can haul the camper. Couldn't do that with an EV towing a range extender.

I'm glad you spoke up about the 40 kWh battery. It really puts things into perspective.

It's well known I don't yet have a Tesla. But I don't think it's fair to say that just because you don't happen to go places that would need it, that nobody else does either. And it's also ridiculous to poll only people who have already bought a Tesla, because those are the people who did the calculations and decided they won't need it. Those of us who have done the calculations and proven we DO need it haven't bought a Tesla. (though I will regardless of this issue, I'll just have to keep an ICE around as well)

I have several trips that I regularly do in my ICE that will simply be IMPOSSIBLE in the Tesla, not "just stop at a supercharger", not "sit for hours in an RV park", IMPOSSIBLE. Just because you don't have roads where you live that fit this definition doesn't mean some of us don't. Worst part is, these trips I'm talking about don't even require stopping for gas in the ICE, because it's range is about double that of a Tesla. And that's my whole point. While the Tesla will do a large percentage of most people's trips, it won't yet do all of them. And a further buildout of the supercharge network is unlikely to change that because I'm talking places where they haven't even put gas pumps yet, so I can't imagine a supercharger popping up.

Tesla needs to introduce more range, ICE vehicles have settled on an average range significantly higher than that of a Tesla, and while it's irrelevant in the city or on major highways, it matters a lot if you go off the beaten path on a regular basis If Tesla matches the range of an ICE, then the multitude of charging methods will make it a superior option, until then, I for one can not get only a Tesla. Luckily the wife will keep her ICE, so we'll still have options.

It's well known I don't yet have a Tesla. But I don't think it's fair to say that just because you don't happen to go places that would need it, that nobody else does either. And it's also ridiculous to poll only people who have already bought a Tesla, because those are the people who did the calculations and decided they won't need it. Those of us who have done the calculations and proven we DO need it haven't bought a Tesla. (though I will regardless of this issue, I'll just have to keep an ICE around as well)

That's not what I'm saying. What I am saying is that range anxiety is normal until you've been driving electric for awhile. And I was curious how many people who have been driving a Tesla felt a range extender was necessary. I certainly was worried about before I got my Roadster (and I had / have no Superchargers to smooth the way). That's the point.

To say that the only people who bought a Tesla are the people who did range calculations and decided they didn't need a range extender is simply not true. That's an assumption on your part. i didn't do that & I'm willing to bet the majority of people here didn't do that. I did keep my 2nd vehicle because I needed something to haul the dogs around and I thought it would be good if I had need of the range. Now that I've been driving electric and understand how easy it is to find a way to charge in diff places, I'm selling the Jeep and replacing it with a 2nd EV.

My point, again, is that range anxiety is real until you've been living with an electric car for awhile. That's all. Don't read anything else into it. And just like a Roadster wasn't suitable for hauling dogs around, not every vehicle is perfect for every person. If it doesn't fit your lifestyle, then it doesn't fit your lifestyle.

And yet you implied that there is never a case where more range is needed, or range anxiety would be justified, which is clearly not the case.

If you don't want a range extender, that's fine, don't get one. But telling everyone else that they don't need one either is not exactly fair if you don't know their particular driving situation.

It gets very tiring seeing people on here continually berate anyone who hints that they might need more range than the 85kWh battery provides. Some people do, if you don't that's great, but I think those that don't need the extra range should quit trying to derail every thread created by those that legitimately want it.

And yet you implied that there is never a case where more range is needed, or range anxiety would be justified, which is clearly not the case.

If you don't want a range extender, that's fine, don't get one. But telling everyone else that they don't need one either is not exactly fair if you don't know their particular driving situation.

It gets very tiring seeing people on here continually berate anyone who hints that they might need more range than the 85kWh battery provides. Some people do, if you don't that's great, but I think those that don't need the extra range should quit trying to derail every thread created by those that legitimately want it.

I shared my own experience. As far as what I implied, that's your interpretation. I never said there is never a case where more range is not needed. I never implied that. I suppose since I've disagreed with you, it's easy to assume that I fall into a certain slot. But I think I just got done saying a post ago, that not every vehicle is perfect for every person.

Berate? That's a little strong. Just because I disagree doesn't mean we shouldn't have had a vigorous discussion about it. I don't take those things personally. My personal experience (which is similar to many others) is that range was worried about until after I started driving electric. And the point of asking people which side of the fence they were on / if they were driving a Tesla was solely to link it to that fact, nothing more. But clearly you feel I was trying to do something else. So I'll end my participation in this thread, other than any moderator tasks that might crop up.

To be clear, I'm not taking this personally either, and I do value your experience, it just gets quite repetitive that every time someone brings up wanting more range there's suddenly a group of people explaining that it's not needed. It just seems quite presumptuous of people to assume they know what range others need.

I'd much rather see threads like this focus on the logistics of the proposed feature (in this case how an extended battery pack placed in one of the existing cubbyholes could be used, or if it's more trouble than it's worth) rather than descend in to "you don't need it" "yes I do" arguments as so many of these threads tend to do.

That said, I don't see Tesla ever doing a range extender, and they don't make it easy for aftermarket ones to do it either. I do however hope that battery capacities will increase over time.