Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WOW even FOX news is warming up to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because Tesla (unlike the rest of the US auto makers) repaid the full amount of the money it took from the government.
Three Cheers for Tesla [Updated] | Power Line

the next question would be,
Why are America's EV's highest sales per capita taking place in a deep south state? (Georgia)

Does anyone associate the Toyota Prius with the Japanese prime minister 橋本 龍太郎 during which it was first sold? He sure wasn't around for its development either.

Georgia has a $5k state tax credit making the Leaf a no brainer for anyone with a 2 car family. Then since everyone is getting one, the businesses all start installing chargers. Momentum baby!

Also, the southern US tends to have cheaper electricity because of more modern infrastructure, lower labor costs (ie unions), less environmental taxation etc. Also the southern US has mild winters which eliminates the heating issue with EVs (this applies more to lower range EVs like the Leaf).

Lastly, Atlanta is the place where the EVs are being sold which while more conservative than NY/SF, is still a major city with a more liberal/EV friendly population than the "deep south".

I usually reserve the "deep south" for AL, MS. Rural Georgia is also included, but you have to exclude Atlanta which with the suburbs is probably >50% of the state's population.

Some Republicans have been EV friendly from the beginning. James Woosley was driving a Prius in 2005 - aftermarket converted to a PHEV.

But why this sudden realization that EVs actually help you get off oil ?

O'Reilly has always seen the value of electric vehicles to get us off oil. The surprise is that he's come back to supporting American-fueled vehicles now instead of waiting for a Republican President to be back in the White House. O'Reilly supported electric (and flex-fuel) vehicles before Obama became President. Below is a good clip showing O'Reilly's flip-flop:

Last edited by a moderator:
I miss the old Jon Stewart (before he went over seas and all Bill Maher on us). I loved his segments where he would take back to back to back Fox (or MSNBC) clips where they flip flop positions, sometimes even within the same clip.

O is simply another talking head making money off getting people to tune in. What does he call them? Oh yeah, he is a pin head. The only thing to get upset about is that he is more than bright enough to know he is talking out his rear a lot of the time.

I miss the old Jon Stewart (before he went over seas and all Bill Maher on us). I loved his segments where he would take back to back to back Fox (or MSNBC) clips where they flip flop positions, sometimes even within the same clip.

O is simply another talking head making money off getting people to tune in. What does he call them? Oh yeah, he is a pin head. The only thing to get upset about is that he is more than bright enough to know he is talking out his rear a lot of the time.
one thing that I think most people miss is that that FOX or MSNBC or CNN or PBS or any other media outlet presents the news "straight" without any agenda or biases.
this just isn't the way it is. ALL of the media outlets are putting the news through a filter of the ideology that the particular outlet promotes.
for example FOX strives to appeal to people who lean conservative and MSNBC promotes itself as the voice of the left.
these biases are their branding.

Oh, please do not get me started on left and right... There may have been a grain of truth to it years ago but I could swear those terms only exist today to divide people (so that one politician's pile of voters is bigger than the other guy's/gal's).

I've found BBC tolerable and have even come to like Katty K.

one thing that I think most people miss is that that FOX or MSNBC or CNN or PBS or any other media outlet presents the news "straight" without any agenda or biases.
this just isn't the way it is. ALL of the media outlets are putting the news through a filter of the ideology that the particular outlet promotes.
This has been true for centuries. Informed people, therefore, would read several newspapers to see one story from several angles. It is sad that, even as it becomes easier to consult many sources, it seems that more Americans remain single-source consumers of news, which is unhealthy regardless of whether its NPR or FOX.

It's also my impression that some outlets have simply abandoned any pretense of being unbiased. Back when the Big Three broadcast networks ruled the roost, they were all pretty much down the middle of the road; moving too far left or right would sacrifice market share. But with the fracturing effect of cable TV, the best strategy is to "own" a niche. Nothing wrong with that; however, if people never watch anything other than the channel that presents news consistent with their personal POV, we end up with no common basis for discussing policy: each side has selectively heard only the facts and arguments that it finds convenient, without challenging themselves. Very sad state of affairs.

Nonetheless, it's good to see that O'Reilly can get behind a product made in America that reduces the country's dependence on an import that is (currently) essential to our national security.

This has been true for centuries. Informed people, therefore, would read several newspapers to see one story from several angles. It is sad that, even as it becomes easier to consult many sources, it seems that more Americans remain single-source consumers of news, which is unhealthy regardless of whether its NPR or FOX.

It's also my impression that some outlets have simply abandoned any pretense of being unbiased. Back when the Big Three broadcast networks ruled the roost, they were all pretty much down the middle of the road; moving too far left or right would sacrifice market share. But with the fracturing effect of cable TV, the best strategy is to "own" a niche. Nothing wrong with that; however, if people never watch anything other than the channel that presents news consistent with their personal POV, we end up with no common basis for discussing policy: each side has selectively heard only the facts and arguments that it finds convenient, without challenging themselves. Very sad state of affairs.

Nonetheless, it's good to see that O'Reilly can get behind a product made in America that reduces the country's dependence on an import that is (currently) essential to our national security.
+1
agree on all points, that was what I was trying to convey, the rightish fox or the leftist msnbc are just marketing ploys or ratings generators

and??? just how would his history of being a trader have any effect on his opinions on BEVs?
I was an oil futures trader as well and I own a Leaf and an MS

I agree that being a trader is not an issue. I have been a trader full time for 11 years and have no ideological ties to the instruments I trade. I was merely suggesting that his past is noteworthy as he was deeply involved at the NYMEX and CNBC. CNBC has enormous biases and has become essentially unwatchable over the past 5 years. I think Eric will come around eventually.

3. when I am in Italy I refrain from offering my opinion on the political issues facing the issues in facing the locals because I am not aware of all of the nuances that could be in play

That's why I pointed out that I live in Italy. To this concern I would like to add that IMO my thought was quite neutral.

Raffy, your perspective (along with everyone here) is always welcome.

There is a major difference than "The Daily Show" and shows hosted on Fox, MSNBC, and CNN. The Daily Show is on Comedy Central, and despite using news as fodder, is a Comedy show. The others on so-called 'news' channels are supposedly news and factual shows.

Go watch the Crossfire episodes that Jon Stewart did. He tries to point this out so many times. I think it is sad that some people get their news from "The Daily Show" but it isn't really worse than many shows on so called "News" channels.
Didn't we also learn from Top Gear that comedy shows can say basically anything they want? The standard should be higher (for news) but that doesn't mean that I trust anything said in a comedy show because by definition there's no honesty required for a comedy show. (Yes, some would argue about a lack of honesty in today's news but that's not "by design" like it is for comedy.)

Georgia has a $5k state tax credit making the Leaf a no brainer for anyone with a 2 car family. Then since everyone is getting one, the businesses all start installing chargers. Momentum baby!

Momentum baby,
I suspect there is another BIG factor at play in Georgia, and that is the Nissan dealers have decided to push Nissan EVs. As car sales in USA are filtered through dealers, unless dealers want to sell the vehicle, its difficult.
When no dealers want to sell EVs sales are very low.
When only one dealer wants to sell EVs sales are better
When multiple dealers sell EVs sales are OK
When most dealers want to sell EVs sales are good.
There are other states with $2.5k to $7.5k rebates, but Georgia got the sales, perhaps because their Nissan dealers want to sell.

That I think is a key, ongoing trouble for GM Volt sales.

I'm not from USA, so the next factor is also 2nd hand guesstimate

'Americans don't drive their cars, they wear their cars.'
If EVs are like turtleneck skivvies, and pick-up trucks are like jeans, then many could be feel its unfair that the federal rebate is for turtlenecks but not jeans.
The anticipation for pick-up truck / SUV EV/PHEVs make federal rebates far far more palatable.

also
No one wants to be told they must buy their clothes through a franchise, even (especially) tea party types.
Official Tea Party USA - Chris Christie Prohibits Tesla From Selling Cars In NJ.3 12 2014
coutesy google Tesla and Tea Party
nb google Tesla and Occupy wall street returned blanks

I'm sorry but this cannot not go uncontested, your view is one derived from seeing the US through a filter of movies and media outlets with biases. are there some people who "wear" their vehicles as a fashion statement? I suppose there are but to make such a blanket condemnation of people's values here would be like me claiming that all aussies talk in riddles while swilling beer on the sheep station in the middle of a barren wasteland.

I'm sorry but this cannot not go uncontested, your view is one derived from seeing the US through a filter of movies and media outlets with biases. are there some people who "wear" their vehicles as a fashion statement? I suppose there are but to make such a blanket condemnation of people's values here would be like me claiming that all aussies talk in riddles while swilling beer on the sheep station in the middle of a barren wasteland.

Wait someone not from the USA can't put his guess (even explicitly stated as a guess) about how things work in the US?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing things on this forum, and nothing wrong with speculating. It isn't like renim is trying to push his speculation as fact.