Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
53,000 miles with tread to spare at 3/32” - Michelin Primacy OEMs S85.

versus:

19,000 miles so far, worn to 4/32” - Goodyear Eagle Touring OEMs S90D.

When these wear out at maybe 25,000 miles, if I’m lucky, the car will get Michelin Primacys.

Not happy about the poorer, regressed quality in the newer car, between the much poorer longevity of the tires, the accelerated wear of the seats, and the shortcomings of AP2 relative to AP1.

Not a bit.

I have the S90D facelift with the Goodyear Eagle Touring OEMs as well. Just over 15K miles and I'm down to 4/32" (wear has been pretty even and I've rotated every 5K miles). I will be replacing the tires next month, but not with the Goodyears. I'm thinking of going with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+. Anyone else have experience with these on a 90D?

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Goodyear Eagle Touring OEMs as well
Me too. Just took my car in for it's first year service with 12,500 miles on it. I rotated my 19" tires at about 6500 miles. They called and said My tires were well below the wear limit with 2mm on the front and 3mm on the rear, and that they were wearing evenly, so probably not an alignment issue. They said they could replace them for $1,045. They're nuts if they think I'm going to spend a $1,000 a year on tires. I feel like I'm being punked. Is this for real?

Me too. Just took my car in for it's first year service with 12,500 miles on it. I rotated my 19" tires at about 6500 miles. They called and said My tires were well below the wear limit with 2mm on the front and 3mm on the rear, and that they were wearing evenly, so probably not an alignment issue. They said they could replace them for $1,045. They're nuts if they think I'm going to spend a $1,000 a year on tires. I feel like I'm being punked. Is this for real?

This is why I’ve been kvetching about the effective doubling of my TCO (total cost of ownership) with regard to tires - and that’s at 27,000 miles from the GETs versus 53,000 with tread left from the Michelin OEMs that came with the first car.

Except that it’s unlikely that I’ll get to 27,000 miles with the GETs, which are already at mostly 3/32” after ~8 months.

At 12,000 miles per set relative to the Michelins, that’s what, a quadrupling of TCO? Yeah, that well and truly sucks.

FWIW, I will replace the GETs, which were not all that much quieter if at all relative to the Michelins, with the original Goodyear OEMs (RS A-2s) if it looks likely that I’ll find an AP1 car sooner than later with which to replace this AP2 car, else back to the Michelin OEMs I go - which fortunately are cheaper now. It’ll be about $1K out the door for a replacement set.

these are the 2 i am looking at for 75d.....which is the better of the 2. ??

Those two tires (Pirelli Cinturato P7 All-Season Plus, and Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06) are not directly comparable, because they're different classes of tires and have different targets as to their capabilities.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 is a grand touring all season tire. It emphasizes smooth and comfortable ride, low noise, high efficiency, and long tread life, at the expense of traction, braking distance, and cornering ability.

The ExtremeContact DWS 06 is an ultra-high performance all-season tire. It emphasizes traction and handling in both summer and very light winter conditions, at the expense of some road noise, a stiffer ride, shorter tread life, and lower efficiency. While it delivers better traction and handling than the Pirelli Cinturato P7, it does not have the traction and handling of a dedicated summer time in hot weather, nor the traction and handling of a dedicated winter tire in cold weather. It is a compromise on both ends because it's an all-season.

33K miles on my original 19" Goodyear Eagle Touring foamies with mostly 4/32 left. All of my previous tread checks have been even on all tires until they did the alignment at 25000 miles. This last check the inside of the rear tires is wearing faster (yes, the rear wheels is what they changed the alignment on...). Only rotated once at that 25000 mile service.

I have since stopped the high speed lowering (by far most of my miles are highway). Still trying to decide on tires. One day I think just go with cheaper tires and change more often. The next day I decide I should get something with a tread wear warranty. I suspect the actual cost is about the same. I'd like quiet, and to me tires tend to get noisier as they wear, so maybe the more frequent changes would be better. Flip. Flop.

I guess I better decide and do something before my tires go flipflopflipflop.

• Helpful
I just replaced my 19” Goodyear Eagle Touring with the same tire. At 34,000 miles I had just a slight bit of tread above the wear bars and since I was heading to snow country I decided to get new tires. I agree that tire noise can be a function of wear so I like changing more often. What was most troubling was the fact all 4 showed excessive wear on the inside edge — no tread left. I spoke with a Tesla Ranger who indicated this to be normal. Not sure I like that answer.

• Helpful
There should be a tire mileage warranty available but not through Tesla. Go to Americas Tire and they will handle the warranty if one is available.

Do you have any thoughts on what kind of practical sound dampening steps a person could take? without ripping door trim off and all of that?

By the way, I used a tractor tire repair kit on my performance foam tire, which meant I got to stab a bigger hole into the tire and shove rubber gunk inside of it.... and it's been doing great.... it's not quiet anymore though because I also followed it up with a little sealant fix a flat spray.... It's kind of like having a slightly stuffy eardrum on one side, but I'm going to get a few more thousand miles on these tires! Definitely made me appreciate the foam tires though... it definitely makes a difference with certain frequencies.
Play loud rap and hip hop

... even allows shipments from tire rack.

I was always embarrassed to ask a tire shop to accept a shipment from TireRack and then install those tires. Finally, out of necessity, I called a TireRack recommended installer in Idaho Falls (QuickLane) and was stunned to learn that the majority of their tire business comes thru TireRack. The manager said TireRack has been a boon to their business and they love the partnership. The day I was there they had just received a shipment of 4 sets of snow tires (16 tires) — an average day they told me.

• Helpful
Reactions: LoL Rick
What on Earth am I doing wrong? I drive around 25,000 miles a year. I have done two "annual" service appointments so far this year, and both times I had to replace my tires. Is this normal? I purchased the good year 19s both times. Should I be buying a different tire or is there no way to avoid this in a 75d? I am not a heavy foot and rarely speed. My commute averages 45mph and that's what I stay at. Any advice?

Is it the rear tires that wear the most or all four? If it’s the former you may need adjustable camber links. There’s a long thread on the topic. Until I installed the adjustable links and set the rear camber to -1 I would get about 10k out of a set of rear tires. Now it’s 3-4 times that.

The type of tire matters but not as much as the alignment, especially the rear camber.

• Informative
Reactions: fasteddie7
Is it the rear tires that wear the most or all four? If it’s the former you may need adjustable camber links. There’s a long thread on the topic. Until I installed the adjustable links and set the rear camber to -1 I would get about 10k out of a set of rear tires. Now it’s 3-4 times that.

The type of tire matters but not as much as the alignment, especially the rear camber.
Wouldn't an alignment done by Tesla Service take care of that issue?

My 2015 S85D has Michelin Primacy's (19") and had them rotated at about 12500 miles, then replaced all at about 25,000 miles.

I was hoping to get 30,000 and could have, but the Service Center refuses to rotate and balance them a second time if I kept the original tires and I wanted to avoid another service in the next few months given the holidays and intent to travel more. I went ahead and had them replaced for the balancing and ate the cost of the tires, for safety's sake.

Wouldn't an alignment done by Tesla Service take care of that issue?
The rear camber can't be adjusted in a stock Tesla -- hence the market for the adjustable links. Tesla will give a reading for the rear camber, but I would question whether that is actually a measurement or just a number filled in by the computer, since they can't change it and don't want to show it is out of spec when they can't do anything about it.