Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow - interior temp 146* vented to 100* remotely in 2 minutes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s about 90* outside and my white car is sitting in partial sun on pavement. The interior temp went from 146* to 100* in about 2 minutes by using vent window on the Tesla app.

Hopefully that should be hot enough to kill off any virus.

"Some strains of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can survive temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit) for an hour"

But realistically 146 degrees for even 15 minutes would kill most any virus in the car.

I'd consider your car the safe place and worry about what happens outside the car.

"Some strains of Sars-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, can survive temperatures of 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit) for an hour"

But realistically 146 degrees for even 15 minutes would kill most any virus in the car.

I'd consider your car the safe place and worry about what happens outside the car.

Thanks for the info - the point I was trying to make was how well the remote vent app works.

Wow, that's surprising. I have the exact same XPEL (on all windows including 90% on the front) and it gets to 140 degrees plus very easily.

Wow you're lucky, maybe my cabin-protection just isn't that great but here in Vegas my car with XPEL XR Prime Plus gets above 120*F easily

My windows are not tinted. My state has a hard view on cars with tinted windows.

My white / white Stealth also has PPF.

Yeah NJ is rough on tint. You could try doing 70%, it's barely noticeable but does reject heat. Here's what I found for NJ, basically you're not allowed to do anything.

Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Source: New Jersey Tint Laws - 2019 & 2020 - Car Tinting Laws
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

• Helpful
Reactions: Rachmaninov
Wow, that's surprising. I have the exact same XPEL (on all windows including 90% on the front) and it gets to 140 degrees plus very easily.
I have found 90% doesn't provide much heat blockage in major sunny areas. I have a Cayenne with 70% ceramic shield film and it provides less heat protection than the Teslas with 20-30%. (The pano roof on that has a factory shade that helps)

I suggest at least 30% in hot climates - especially ceramic.

temps will go down faster/more if you use the trunk as a vent about 5 mins before you leave the office. (assuming no valuables are in the car and its secure, you can see it from your office window, blah blah blah). Ive done this a few times and it is effective

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Matsayz
It’s about 90* outside and my white car is sitting in partial sun on pavement. The interior temp went from 146* to 100* in about 2 minutes by using vent window on the Tesla app.
I think a little of it MIGHT have to do with where the temperature sensor(s) might be. I have experienced many times the temperature changing anywhere from 2-10° with a second or two of turning on the AC remotely. Perhaps the hottest air stagnates around a sensor somewhere and the air movement is enough to make the shift.

Just my theory from my observations.

• Love
Reactions: SSedan
Yeah NJ is rough on tint. You could try doing 70%, it's barely noticeable but does reject heat. Here's what I found for NJ, basically you're not allowed to do anything.

Back Side windows: Any darkness can be used.
Rear Window: Any darkness can be used.

Source: New Jersey Tint Laws - 2019 & 2020 - Car Tinting Laws
Copyright © Tinting-Laws.com

It's honestly not worth the trouble here. Getting stopped for tinted windows can bring 3 separate violations - at least $54/each, and a mandatory court appearance. It also brings unwarranted attention, way more even than running without a front license plate. $162, court appearance, and having to remove the tint if/when stopped ... nah, not for me. :)

Reactions: Rachmaninov
It's honestly not worth the trouble here. Getting stopped for tinted windows can bring 3 separate violations - at least $54/each, and a mandatory court appearance. It also brings unwarranted attention, way more even than running without a front license plate. $162, court appearance, and having to remove the tint if/when stopped ... nah, not for me. :)

EXACTLY

Especially now that the state is essentially broke and is looking for any source of money it can.

• Love
Reactions: dmurphy
WOW. NJ sounds a bit like maryland re: Tint. Here in Virginia, its just a...moderate fine/ticket. (they are smart...just a ticket means you can get ticketed repeatedly for tint, which means more repeat money for the state coffers)

And usually the cops wont even bother you if tinted, unless its REALLY dark. I was pulled over a month or so ago (speeding) and what typically works for me: I pull over, shut off the car (Well, not much shutting off in Tesla, but work with me..), radio off, interior lights on if night time, front windows already down, both hands on top of steering wheel/clearly visible. I speak only when spoken to and only remove my hands from the wheel when the cop asks for license or registration. And even then, I'll say "my license/registration is right in the console below. OK to get it now?"

I still get the speeding ticket, but zero hassle for the tint (or in my case, no hassle for no front plate).