Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WOW..Milwaukee is seriously short on super chargers.why?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Learn to plan.
We should be appreciative of what we have not bitch about what we want.

I live near Appleton which is near Green Bay. I am very happy with the supercharger expansion Tesla has given us in the last 2 years in Wisconsin and last month took my vintage P85 up to the Keweenaw Peninsula, a trip which each was stretched range to the max, was very thankful for the 10kw station on Florence.
All i know if i lived in wisc again i wouldnt get anything less then the 100d model period. But honestly i wouldnt even consider an ev if i lived here. Too cold 8 months out of the year.

• Disagree
Reactions: jgillispie
All i know if i lived in wisc again i wouldnt get anything less then the 100d model period. But honestly i wouldnt even consider an ev if i lived here. Too cold 8 months out of the year.

I live in the Milwaukee metro area and managed absolutely fine with a 2014 i3 REx and a 2017 i3 REx, both with sub 130 mile range as my daily driver. It really wasn’t a problem at all but A) I have a garage with a 50A circuit and B) I don’t do many road trips, especially in extreme winter conditions.

Yes the REx was there as a backup but was barely used. I used 20 gallons of gas on the 2014 over 2 years, and the 2017 has had 7 gallons in 1.5 years. Partly because the stupid maintenance cycle runs the engine every 2 months if you don’t use it.

Having an EV in the cold is AMAZING. The car is always warm and heats so quickly! I can have it heat up without even opening the garage door and it’ll be totally silent when doing so. Regardless of range, I wouldn’t go back to gas for this alone. I make short trips far more often than long trips anyway and I like to prioritize for common uses instead of uncommon.

On the cold weather use, in bitter cold weather I have seen short trip power use nearly triple, but on long trips like to Minneapolis I have no problem making Eau Claire.
Big part of winter range hit is cabin warming, once it is warm it certainly takes power to maintain but really not much compared to what you see in warming on short trips.
Aggressive preheating when plugged in at home or supercharging helps mitigate range loss from heating too.

I have set the heat to 80f towards the end of a supercharging session to build up a heat reserve.

In the winter, I setup my car to begin charging at 5AM (rather than right away) so that it will be finishing up when I'm ready to head to work. Charging the car does heat up the batteries, and battery heating is a huge energy drain in extreme cold weather.

One of the positives I've found about an EV in super cold weather is that the cabin heats up so much faster than an ICE car. So that's a nice bonus, but yeah, it comes at the cost of a bit of range.

Like others have said though, once you get going on a long trip the batteries will warm up enough and your Wh/mile will start to level off somewhat. It's getting them warm in the beginning that eats up a ton of energy.

Running just the seat heaters and not the full cabin will save a ton of energy too...so I do that when the weather is agreeable.

I drive my car all year long...and I wouldn't switch to anything else...and we here in Michigan probably have winters very much on par with Wisconsin.

Reactions: Scott7