Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WoW! Netflix audio is super immersive!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not even sure they have an audio path to support discrete channel playback.

It is conceivable that some internal section of the audio is just 2 channel before the surround processor makes simulated surround sound out of it.

I have done experiments with 5.1 FLACs... I tried AC3, DTS, etc... So far, I don't seem able to get rear channel playback. I am not sure if the Netflix player is able to do something that the USB media player cannot. Hopefully if the system is true multi-channel they can make the USB flash decoder do real surround sound too. So far, I am thinking it may just be taking stereo and creating a simulated surround sound out of it.

Even if this is just simulated surround, surely they would still have discrete analog outputs to each speaker, right? I assume so and so I assume there's still hope. I submitted a feature request to support multichannel FLAC earlier this month, fingers crossed! Hopefully the possible demand for true discrete surround in Netflix brings multichannel FLAC support with it as a low-effort item for the developers.

Reactions: superblast
Checked again with the .11 update, watching some Stranger Things. It drops frames continually. Also, soccer is unwatchable on YouTube etc. For example try watching this in the car:

It’s flickering the whole time. So weird.

Can’t watch ANY soccer games in the car without flickering.

*edit*

Seems to be an issue with green in the YouTube app. American football is the same issue. Just search for any game and try and watch.

No such issue in the Netflix app watching soccer clips etc. so weird!

*edit*

Yep it’s an issue with green. Anyone else confirm this flickers?

Just to bump this and say the flickering issue is still there as of 2020.20.5 update. :(