TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wow! New experimental mobile service

Discussion in 'Model S' started by dog_car, Jun 9, 2018.

1. dog_car

dog_car Member

Stopped by Kettleman City SC yesterday to top off. Saw a Mobile Service van parked at the end of the lot. Thought he might have been there for a quick break, but wanted to bend his ear about the mechanical nuances of the model S and model 3. Was I surprised – Tesla started an experimental program in which they park a Mobile Service van at a supercharger and offer to do minor repairs while one charges. That morning he had already found a new owner whose autopilot had not been turned on despite having paid for it. He had made three other repairs. The technician looked up the Vin, found that he had purchased the autopilot and turned the autopilot on for the gentleman. The technician showed me the van with its numerous tools and replacement parts. What car company goes into the community to find service problems on their vehicles and fix them. Impressed.

• Like x 42
    • Love x 21
    • Informative x 13
    • Helpful x 1
  2. FlatSix911

FlatSix911 918 Hybrid

Excellent news

3. Xminus6

Xminus6 Member

That’s a really great idea. I like it.

4. Qbenjamin

Qbenjamin Frugal But Classy!

They definitely need something like this. My wife is livid about how much our 3 has had to go in for service. It's been there more than we've had it in our personal possession.

5. ArbitrageMan

ArbitrageMan Member

Great idea. Lessens the burden on the service centers

• Like x 1
  6. Darmie

Darmie Supporting Member

Clear Lake TX. (Currently in lake Charles LA)
    Simply amazing. I know this is not at every supercharger but it sure is awesome to see the potential.

7. Bet TSLA

Bet TSLA Active Member

Awesome! Tesla is seriously beginning to deliver on Elon's January 2015 promise of service that feels like "invisible love"!

• Like x 1
  8. Axtrader

Axtrader Member

The Kettleman Supercharger is a mega station that should host a small garage (mini Service Center). If the technician is parked there all day, Tesla should set him up there permanently. Get the Service Vehicle on the road for real mobile service.

I was in Paso Robles yesterday and should have stopped in Kettleman on my way home. I have a broken rear trunk shelf bracket on my MX that needs to be repaired and could have used the assist from mobile service.

• Like x 1
  9. sundaymorning

sundaymorning Active Member

The Tesla Service Guy was probably the one Elon mentioned working 60 hour weeks for months during the shareholder meeting. Now that Tesla has sent him home on a holiday he borrowed a friend’s service vehicle and is working off the clock going rogue. I kid.. glad to hear they’re being proactive, it could save a lot of time and money. Another reason to love this company.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  10. tander

tander Active Member

That's a great idea, harkens back to the gas stations w/ mechanics. Really hope they are keeping their word of never turning service into a profit center though.

11. mrbulk

mrbulk Member

Wow, this is inspiring to know. In California? If a success, then Nevada can't be far behind!

12. BIG ACH

BIG ACH Member

That's cool. I had the mobile team come to my house to install the metal performance pedals.

Saved me a trip to the service center and my 4 year old daughter who is obsessed with Tesla was super excited to see the "Tesla van" at our house

13. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Excellent! I thought this was going to be about the new cars that are mobile service vehicles. Tech told me about Model S’s being used as mobile units but this is wonderful when people don’t even need to make an appointment or call service because many don’t/won’t. Love it!

14. SKRGO

SKRGO Member

While charging at Atlanta, Decatur, Georgia a Tesla Tech was SuperCharging and took the time to talk and show that the Model S had custom built layers of parts and tool bins on sliders with a cage to protect from load shifting. He said he covered the Atlanta area and enjoyed his job.

Model S Tesla mobile Tech.jpg

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 1
  15. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Tesla Orlando mobile service runs regular routes. Thursday they are in Palm Bay every week. Makes it very convenient to get minor service done. Tech was polite and professional.

• Informative x 1
  16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

Not sure, but it looks like the service vehicle has the heavier and stronger 20" model X rims. Maybe to cope with the extra weight of the service equipment and parts.

17. jbw550313

jbw550313 JWAmpsOnly

I called the local Service Center (Bellevue, WA) in the morning inquiring about the Model S Steering Bolt recall as it was several months since it was announced. The Service Manager (Maddy) setup an appointment that afternoon by Mobile Service. Russ (technician) actually showed up early and had to dismantle most of the Frunk to get at them, but he did the whole job in an hour and was very courteous and professional. His vehicle was a 2012 Model S85 outfitted with the custom "Service" setup. The whole experience was exceptional. What a great company!!!

• Informative x 2
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  18. Saguarojoe

Saguarojoe Member

Tesla will be harder than ever to compete against. A brilliant stroke.