Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WOW...Superbowl commercials taking aim at Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What is interesting is that now Tesla is moving into the lower cost electric. Sure there's some cheaper, but the Audi, the porsche, the Hummer.. All looking at much higher than the Model 3 and Y and possibly over the S and X even.

That said this is awesome. Competition breeds innovation and better quality. Nissan could sit around on a 70 mile range leaf... until Tesla came along. Toyota could sit around on an ugly as sin, no driving dynamics, egg shaped Prius... until others started putting hybrids in their cars too.

It's interesting how nearly all new EVs are either expensive performance varieties (Porsche, Audi, Hummer), or cheap varietes with short range (~100 miles). Only the Bolt is competing head-head with the Model-3 as a good, long range, affordable car. And the Bolt is not doing well. Looks like Tesla will be in a comfortable position for quite a few more years. Got to hand it to them for their strategy and execution.

My immediate thought on watching the first EV commercial was that it was good for Tesla. And then there were like 3 more and I feel even better about it.

EVs still make up such a small part of the overall market. Tesla may gradually see it's share of the EV market slip a little but EVs are poised to take over a much larger share of the market. And Teslas are still easily the best car for the money, I would say EV or otherwise. A lot more people are going to be buying EVs, Tesla is basically synonymous with EV at this point, and anyone looking to buy any EV is going to at some point ask themselves if that EV should be a Tesla. You can't say that with any of the other companies making EVs.

Reactions: drdumont
As I see it, the other manufacturers can try making as well thought out car as any Tesla on the road, and welcome to it.
However, comma, until they build a (preferably fast) charging network with the capabilities of the Supercharger, or make a deal with Tesla (and build a bunch more to minimize congestion), they are micturating into the prevailing breeze, at least for folks who drive out of town occasionally.
I did a comparison on a short trip awhile back. On a 450 mile round trip one weekend to a city without a Suprcharger, my total fuel cost was around $25, including freezing weather overnight. I would have spent probably twice as much time at a non Supercharger, and certainly more money on fuel.

Million$ spent on advertising.
Tesla doesn’t waste money on ads, just engineering.
Wanna guess who makes the better car?
loved our S & our X. Still ....
We hope the Porsche ev's screens don't get yellow borders after a while. And we hope their half shafts don't start to shutter after a year or so. And we hope they don't throttle high speed charging when you do it so many certain amount of times. We had a 911 cab many years ago, & their reputation was not exactly "reliable". But their leather stayed wrinkle free for years instead of just months - as our Tesla's did. Our Porsche's fit & finish was very tight & appreciated. Our two Teslas? Not so much;

20171112_143528.jpg

But tesla will no doubt do better as the decades march on.

Reactions: tvad
I'm not sure who will buy Porche Taycan. I mean buy enough for it to at least break even. Porsche aging fan boys (grandpas)? E-Hummer? I bet it's range will be terrible. How will you know it's electric by looking at it? Will it look completely new compared to old H? Same applies to AUDI. Why would anyone buy those? Tesla wins in every category almost. Maybe Tesla still short on fit and finish and service, but tech is pretty solid, especially for drivetrain.

I think what's being missed is what these ads have done to the value of TSLA shares.

Now it's at the point where Audi, Ford, Porsche and GM just advertised EVs and TSLA is at $730 bucks. It went up almost $100 a share.

Because of these ads?

Kind of?

I think what's being missed is what these ads have done to the value of TSLA shares.

Now it's at the point where Audi, Ford, Porsche and GM just advertised EVs and TSLA is at $730 bucks. It went up almost $100 a share.

Because of these ads?

Kind of?
It would make sense. Industry is now clearly going all out EV and Tesla has no real competition? Maybe.