Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WOW...Superbowl commercials taking aim at Tesla.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One more thing:

Are we not going to talk about the CO2 emissions that were created by the making of the Audi, Ford and Porsche EV advertisements?

Ironically, GM's might have had the lowest carbon emissions.

The other ads polluted the earth an awful lot for ads that were supposed to be selling EVs. I mean... literally the filming of the ads produced a ton of CO2.

I'm not sure that Tesla needs any competition.

Have you seen the stock price lately? Holy Smokes. What do they need competition for?

I saw the Rivian truck and SUV up close this weekend. Rivian's attention to detail was phenomenal. And I want Tesla to have competition. And I think it's going to be interesting to see 4x4 type sites pitting the Cybertruck against the Rivian and seeing what happens.

If Tesla doesn't have competition, eventually they'll rest on their laurels and start acting like Ford or GM or Porsche or Audi...

Reactions: Spacep0d
I saw the Rivian truck and SUV up close this weekend. Rivian's attention to detail was phenomenal. And I want Tesla to have competition. And I think it's going to be interesting to see 4x4 type sites pitting the Cybertruck against the Rivian and seeing what happens.

If Tesla doesn't have competition, eventually they'll rest on their laurels and start acting like Ford or GM or Porsche or Audi...

But Tesla isn't just a car company.

In order for TESLA to have competition they would have to have competition in:

Automotive
Solar
Battery Packs

etc.....

In order for TESLA to have competition they would have to have the same/similar mission statement. Other car companies have an objective to sell cars. Period. Not accelerate the advancement of sustainable energy on the planet. <---------------------That aint gonna happen.

I can't imagine ELON resting on anything. <------- There is NO indication of that in the past about anything related to him.

Smart park? How the heck do people get into their cars next door without trading paint?

I've never understood this... sure you can squeeze your midsize car into a compact spot, but you have also increased the risk someone hits you with their door.

you un smart park it and get in after the car pulls out.. Yeah that smartpark ad was awesome and good for hyundai if it actually works. I'm going to assume it does.

• Disagree
Reactions: SO16 and thedm96
But Tesla isn't just a car company.

In order for TESLA to have competition they would have to have competition in:

Automotive
Solar
Battery Packs

etc.....

In order for TESLA to have competition they would have to have the same/similar mission statement. Other car companies have an objective to sell cars. Period. Not accelerate the advancement of sustainable energy on the planet. <---------------------That aint gonna happen.

I can't imagine ELON resting on anything. <------- There is NO indication of that in the past about anything related to him.

Well, don't know where to start with this...

Tesla has plenty of competition for solar. I did a solar installation 7 years ago for less $$$ than anything Tesla is offering today. I don't even recommend Tesla as a solar company to anyone, still, to date. And they've got competition in batteries from Enphase and Sonnen, among others, but people who don't know solar don't know this. But that doesn't mean it's not there.

And Elon Musk is a human being. Sometimes they get pancreatic cancer and die.

Moreover, I like SEEING Tesla react to competition, because it's always funny when something happens, like Porsche tracking the Taycan, and then Tesla tracking the next gen Roadster powertrain in an S body.

Competition is good, healthy and fun. Tesla thrives on it. Chillax.

Smart park? How the heck do people get into their cars next door without trading paint?

I've never understood this... sure you can squeeze your midsize car into a compact spot, but you have also increased the risk someone hits you with their door.
I totally agree. I woudn't ever use Summon to squeeze my car into a tight space in the commercial. You're just asking for the a-holes that occupy the vehicles on each side of you to slam their doors into yours and drive off.

It's ironic that GM have chosen the Hummer to be their next EV. This is the guzzler that, in its petrol form, was the company's response to collecting all the EV1s, after cancelling their leases and then crushing all but 2 of them. Always room for more EVs in the world but if they ever have the cheek to tell us all why this thing is good for the environment, I'll have a white fit.

N.B. other opinions are available.

Check out 'Who Killed the Electric Car' for the full story. [apols to those who've seen it. I only found out about the film here in the UK from this forum so thanks for that!]

Yeah, the Rivian R1T and R1S looked very well made with high end materials and construction. The RS1 is probably going to be my next EV purchase. The Model X just doesn't have enough cargo space for my needs.

It's ironic that GM have chosen the Hummer to be their next EV. This is the guzzler that, in its petrol form, was the company's response to collecting all the EV1s, after cancelling their leases and then crushing all but 2 of them. Always room for more EVs in the world but if they ever have the cheek to tell us all why this thing is good for the environment, I'll have a white fit.

N.B. other opinions are available.

Check out 'Who Killed the Electric Car' for the full story. [apols to those who've seen it. I only found out about the film here in the UK from this forum so thanks for that!]

Yea it's perfect because people stopped driving hummers because they wanted to get more then 10mpg and were paying a lot for gas. So now with cheap elect... it's going to make driving hummers so cost efficient.

Well, don't know where to start with this...

Tesla has plenty of competition for solar. I did a solar installation 7 years ago for less $$$ than anything Tesla is offering today. I don't even recommend Tesla as a solar company to anyone, still, to date. And they've got competition in batteries from Enphase and Sonnen, among others, but people who don't know solar don't know this. But that doesn't mean it's not there.

And Elon Musk is a human being. Sometimes they get pancreatic cancer and die.

Moreover, I like SEEING Tesla react to competition, because it's always funny when something happens, like Porsche tracking the Taycan, and then Tesla tracking the next gen Roadster powertrain in an S body.

Competition is good, healthy and fun. Tesla thrives on it. Chillax.

Solar.

I don't know of another solar company that makes their own panels.

Oh... you mean companies that install solar panels?

Cars

Tesla makes their own batteries...….

Oh....you mean companies that install other peoples batteries in their cars?

All these ads are doing is validating Tesla and its history. So many of the naysayers are going to realize Tesla has been right all along. And now these ICE manufacturers are trying to play catch up. Customers will realize quickly that Tesla's offering is far superior.

Why?

1. ICE manufacturers can't over cannibalize their ICE market until they have comparable EV offering across their entire line and can feel comfortable disposing of the potential ICE profit.
2. Non-Tesla charging networks are more expensive and a lot slower! ChargePoint is great and all, but let's be honest, it takes 10-12 hours to see any meaningful charges. That will change, but most vehicles have inverters and don't open up the direct-to-battery DC flow like Tesla does with the SuperCharger. Imagine how problematic it would be if these cars opened that up to ChargePoint!
3. Tesla's technologies are from the ground up... the car is secondary. ICE manufacturers are starting with the car and taping on EV as a feature.
4. Tesla is far ahead in battery production (with Panasonic in the Gigafactory making batteries in realtime, and the Maxwell acquisition back in April 2019) and far superior in battery technologies. Elon said on the earnings call last week that they have battery wizards and some really incredible stuff is coming out this year. ICE manufacturers will be playing catchup on this for a long time. Don't forget, there will be an incredible battery squeeze, and Tesla has their hands on a lot of the batteries due to cars and PowerWalls.
5. Self-driving tech is all over the place, but Tesla has this all being done internally. ICE manufacturers don't have this expertise, and will generally be partnering with external companies for this technology, which will vary and not be as deeply integrated as Tesla's solutions. Consumers will feel this. Audi (who I long bought cars from), for example, is terrible at keeping up with technology, often the last to add things to the car. Consumers who care about self-driving will be very disappointed with something from Porsche or Audi or VW... at least for a decade.
6. Tesla and Elon give no f's about paying to play... notice they didn't take out a superbowl ad? They don't need to. Customers are loyal and do the marketing for them, referring buyers constantly. They put the money into engineering instead. These other companies skimp on the engineering and throw money at marketing.
7. Tesla owns all the pieces (solar, batteries, charging, vehicles, etc)... who else does this?

I'm enthusiastic where the market is going. It'll keep Tesla on their feet and competitive. It's like when Google came out with Android... it made for a better iPhone and iOS by Apple. To this day, they pingpong on features, so both companies are producing great stuff.

Reactions: Spacep0d
All these ads are doing is validating Tesla and its history. So many of the naysayers are going to realize Tesla has been right all along. And now these ICE manufacturers are trying to play catch up. Customers will realize quickly that Tesla's offering is far superior.

Why?

1. ICE manufacturers can't over cannibalize their ICE market until they have comparable EV offering across their entire line and can feel comfortable disposing of the potential ICE profit.
2. Non-Tesla charging networks are more expensive and a lot slower! ChargePoint is great and all, but let's be honest, it takes 10-12 hours to see any meaningful charges. That will change, but most vehicles have inverters and don't open up the direct-to-battery DC flow like Tesla does with the SuperCharger. Imagine how problematic it would be if these cars opened that up to ChargePoint!
3. Tesla's technologies are from the ground up... the car is secondary. ICE manufacturers are starting with the car and taping on EV as a feature.
4. Tesla is far ahead in battery production (with Panasonic in the Gigafactory making batteries in realtime, and the Maxwell acquisition back in April 2019) and far superior in battery technologies. Elon said on the earnings call last week that they have battery wizards and some really incredible stuff is coming out this year. ICE manufacturers will be playing catchup on this for a long time. Don't forget, there will be an incredible battery squeeze, and Tesla has their hands on a lot of the batteries due to cars and PowerWalls.
5. Self-driving tech is all over the place, but Tesla has this all being done internally. ICE manufacturers don't have this expertise, and will generally be partnering with external companies for this technology, which will vary and not be as deeply integrated as Tesla's solutions. Consumers will feel this. Audi (who I long bought cars from), for example, is terrible at keeping up with technology, often the last to add things to the car. Consumers who care about self-driving will be very disappointed with something from Porsche or Audi or VW... at least for a decade.
6. Tesla and Elon give no f's about paying to play... notice they didn't take out a superbowl ad? They don't need to. Customers are loyal and do the marketing for them, referring buyers constantly. They put the money into engineering instead. These other companies skimp on the engineering and throw money at marketing.
7. Tesla owns all the pieces (solar, batteries, charging, vehicles, etc)... who else does this?

I'm enthusiastic where the market is going. It'll keep Tesla on their feet and competitive. It's like when Google came out with Android... it made for a better iPhone and iOS by Apple. To this day, they pingpong on features, so both companies are producing great stuff.

You have to wonder.....what if Tesla was just a car company
You have to wonder.....what if Tesla was just a battery company
You have to wonder.....what if Tesla just installed solar
You have to wonder.....what if Tesla just made solar panels
You have to wonder.....what if Tesla were just a boring company
You have to wonder.....what if Tesla didn't have a charging network for their cars
You have to wonder...…what if the CEO of Tesla didn't also run SpaceX
You have to wonder...…

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: copyhacker