Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow...Tesla service really is that bad....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my new MY, documented various delivery issues. I even had the salesman sign a document that they would agree to fix them and provide a loaner. Booked the service visit and it was one month out. I made a video on my phone of all the issues, then had the sales manager smile at the video, state his name and agree that everything would be fixed at no expense to myself.

Dropped my car off yesterday at the service center. Three employees say behind their desks, did not even look up to assist me which was not a good start...

They then tried to play the game where they are not sure if everything would be covered. I then showed them the signed letter from the sales manager, they called over to the sales center, than agreed to cover it. They even suggested the headliner grease stains should be my responsibility to have cleaned.

Of course no loaner was available, then I can tell my car has sat in their lot and they have not yet touched it for service. Then I get a text they are backed up, yada yada yada.

Service rep calls me this morning, they fixed basically 1 of the 9 issues, need to order parts, parts on back order yada yada yada.

Tried every way in the book to get out of the panel gaps telling me they are within tolerance.

Needless to say, the service has lived up to what I have read. I had a Model X on order for my wife that we just cancelled. We can not have two cars that rely on the same horrible service process.

On a side note, I described this whole ordeal to my brother who is a class action attorney and he said Tesla is basically putting a class action lawsuit on a silver platter and waiting for an attorney like him to grab it and go after them. He was also going to get a Tesla and is now thinking about the Ford Mach since he assumes that Ford will deliver a car in perfect condition and have a reasonable service process.

Hey I feel for you and what you have gone through. But once you brought Ford and "perfect" you lost me. I had nothing but problems with two different Ford products, and the last thing I want to do is get a first year car from them.
I have a friend who had 2 lemon law cars on their plug in model. Obviously they could not get it right. But good luck and if you join the class action law suit, the attorney's are the only ones who win in the end.

He was also going to get a Tesla and is now thinking about the Ford Mach since he assumes that Ford will deliver a car in perfect condition and have a reasonable service process.

If my MIL's $36k Escape Hybrid's misaligned hood is any indication, I would say his assumption is most likely inaccurate.

It's certainly no excuse for poor service, but SCs are being pushed pretty hard at the end of the quarter. Hopefully, your experience gets better going forward.

Hey I feel for you and what you have gone through. But once you brought Ford and "perfect" you lost me. I had nothing but problems with two different Ford products, and the last thing I want to do is get a first year car from them.
I have a friend who had 2 lemon law cars on their plug in model. Obviously they could not get it right. But good luck and if you join the class action law suit, the attorney's are the only ones who win in the end.

I sold my 2015 Ford to get the Y after going through nightmarish service with them over serious safety issues. I live in Colorado and the engine would randomly high rev on mountain downhills and then suddenly lose power on uphill's while on the freeway. It was very scary driving that vehicle and the lack of care by Ford while it was under warranty was awful. I took it to 3 different dealers, none were able to duplicate it since it only happened at elevation in the mountains and even then was sporadic. If anyone thinks that they will get better service from the big 3 manufacturers is in for a rude surprise. Being realistic when it comes to Tesla, at least I know going into the purchase that the service can be subpar due to growing pains.

This is why I keep suggesting people reject their cars at delivery. Sales will promise you everything in the book to get the car delivered.

Service is so busy that they typically (not always) cannot get to the car until after the 7 day return policy.

We rejected the first car they offered us, it looked like it had been assembled by a 4 year old and had paint issues. We decided to wait to match until 01/01/2021 but even recent deliveries have been a mixed bag of cars that are perfect and others that are not. I realize it is end of quarter but wow.

This is definitely not FUD!

All sorts of vague service issues, cancelling Model X on order, brother is a lawyer, class action, gonna buy a Ford instead... :rolleyes:

When I picked up my new MY, documented various delivery issues. I even had the salesman sign a document that they would agree to fix them and provide a loaner. Booked the service visit and it was one month out. I made a video on my phone of all the issues, then had the sales manager smile at the video, state his name and agree that everything would be fixed at no expense to myself.

Dropped my car off yesterday at the service center. Three employees say behind their desks, did not even look up to assist me which was not a good start...

They then tried to play the game where they are not sure if everything would be covered. I then showed them the signed letter from the sales manager, they called over to the sales center, than agreed to cover it. They even suggested the headliner grease stains should be my responsibility to have cleaned.

Of course no loaner was available, then I can tell my car has sat in their lot and they have not yet touched it for service. Then I get a text they are backed up, yada yada yada.

Service rep calls me this morning, they fixed basically 1 of the 9 issues, need to order parts, parts on back order yada yada yada.

Tried every way in the book to get out of the panel gaps telling me they are within tolerance.

Needless to say, the service has lived up to what I have read. I had a Model X on order for my wife that we just cancelled. We can not have two cars that rely on the same horrible service process.

On a side note, I described this whole ordeal to my brother who is a class action attorney and he said Tesla is basically putting a class action lawsuit on a silver platter and waiting for an attorney like him to grab it and go after them. He was also going to get a Tesla and is now thinking about the Ford Mach since he assumes that Ford will deliver a car in perfect condition and have a reasonable service process.

what even crazier is some folks defend tesla for this...

WOW, the Tesla fan boys come right after you...

Lets not use for as an example. Lets use my old 80K+ X5 as an example. No panel games, loaners given, real estimates of completion.

The Tesla fan boys who continue to defend Tesla at any cost are not going to do them much good in the long run...Eventually other products will be on the market with better quality control. Before I purchase the MY, I was seriously considering the Audi Etron but liked the Tesla technology better and their establishment as the main play in the electric car world.

If these are not Tesla fan boys who come to the defense of Tesla left and right, there are some great pro Tesla bots out there ! I expect many more fan boys to come to their defense after this post.

Last edited:

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Your service experience is largely dictated by your Service Advisor. Luckily you have a lot of options in the Chicago area. Some say Schaumburg is good. I have had good experiences at Highland Park, but that was years ago. You may want to switch to another SC and see if you can find a good SA. When you do, hold on to them for dear life.

Also, join the Tesla Owners Club Chicago facebook group to get more localized info.

Sorry to hear about your experience. It does not match my experience with 2 model 3s and 1 model Y, which has been quite positive so far. All three of them had small issues to fix here and there, but alignment and paint has been pretty good. Always got a loaner when car had to stay overnight, although not always Tesla loaner.

I did notice that wait times for service schedule have increased substantially lately so hopefully there will be new service centers opening in my area soon.

I just don't understand why so many assume the Mach-E - assembled in Mexico, BTW - will be so great in terms of fit and finish. Let's wait for some to get delivered and they've ramped up production, first.
I think the assumption is that Ford has better initial quality than Tesla at the moment. Additionally, I have a Tesla Model 3 and an Audi Q5 (assembled in Mexico) -- the Audi's fit and finish is miles better than the Model 3. My car prior to the Audi was a first model-year (2015) Mustang GT -- it also had better fit and finish than the Model 3.

I don't think it is "fan boy" to have a different opinion or share a different experience. I had a small number (3) of cosmetic issues when I picked up my MY a little over a week ago. None were earth shattering. Tuesday this week I went into the app to get an appointment and the first available was today. I went this morning, they had my info, service guy says "l have your pictures, but let's walk over to the car so you can show me exactly what is needed.". We did that, walked back to the desk, the pulled out a Model S for me as a loaner and I left. It's still there now, so can't comment on the quality of the work, but so far I don't have a complaint.

I'm bringing my car for some initial delivery fixes next week. I asked if I could get a loaner and they replied saying they are only giving uber credits now :( Is it because of the SC I chose? They did say they had all the parts for the repairs I requested though so I guess that's a plus.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I just don't understand why so many assume the Mach-E - assembled in Mexico, BTW - will be so great in terms of fit and finish..

Because, on average, ANY car manufactured in 2020 is likely to have better fit and finish than Tesla. Sure, no car company is perfect , but the prevalence of the most rudimentary issues regarding fit and finish on Tesla vehicles is unreal.