Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow, the grilling needed to get SolarEdge monitoring access...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mjptech

Being cyberbullied by TMC users PhilDavid + DCEV
Mar 30, 2019
Ventura
Finally, after months since install and over a year since I first reached out to get solar... got PTO yesterday... I asked for SolarEdge monitoring access, and it seems like the grilling is insane.. Would be easier to have a web request form than this:

1631316655148.png

My response to those two questions... and then...

1631316684266.png

Yes

1631316710512.png

Yes

1631316733501.png

Yes

1631316769857.png

1631316795170.png

Not done yet...

1631316818078.png

But wait.. one last...

1631316854216.png

OMG that was a funny read. My husband requested a solar edge account access last year shortly after our system was installed and was asked some questions about need for it and had to confirm that Tesla doesn’t support it. He wanted to see each of the panel readings although he knew he it would be a linear view as opposed to actual layout. What you went through in text seemed way more intense. They may have made the same points with my husband on the phone but…you understand they don’t support SE “monitoring” in any way don’t you! 🤔

They must have seen a lot of calls come in about the app or have questions about seeing things on it and wanted to put an early stop to calls on a product they don’t support. The fact they sell the SE inverter (which they do support) as part of the system to me should be something that they support but guess they get similar info from their Gateway, which they do support. The fact is the SE app is not their software.

Last edited:
BTW it didn’t take long as I recall to get the SE account and access. May take less time than it took to go through the above questioning ;); but their quoted timeline sounds about right from our experience. It would be nice if SE at least could set the panels up reflecting their actual layout but maybe only Tesla knows what went where.

Last edited:
Are their “best” answers for why you want SolarEdge access that will make it more likely Tesla agrees? On my 2018 system at my old house, I was never able to convince Tesla to give me the detailed (individual panel) SolarEdge data - only the whole system production. Just had a new 3x larger system installed on my new house, and I‘m hoping to get access this time.

BTW it didn’t take long as I recall to get the SE account and access. May take less time than it took to go through the above questioning ;); but their quoted timeline sounds about right from our experience. It would be nice if SE at least could set the panels up reflecting their actual layout but maybe only Tesla knows what went where.
Ha, yeah - I know some have been able to do that (by taking ownership).. When they were installing the panels, I had requested access then and said I wanted to be able to monitor them, so, they said they'd had to install the optimizers (which I guess they weren't going to do)... At the end of the install, they let me take a picture of the sticker sheet they put the datamatrix codes on for the optimizers, but, a few were handwritten (lost stickers?) and one was missing a few digits.. Once I get access, I wonder what I'll be seeing...

Are their “best” answers for why you want SolarEdge access that will make it more likely Tesla agrees? On my 2018 system at my old house, I was never able to convince Tesla to give me the detailed (individual panel) SolarEdge data - only the whole system production. Just had a new 3x larger system installed on my new house, and I‘m hoping to get access this time.
The best answers = "Yes" :p

The main question - why do you want access? I was truthful, and told them since we have a medical baseline, I want to make sure the panels are producing enough and to be able to optimize appliance run times/purchases and see if I may need to get more panels during the seasonal changes. I'll probably keep tabs on it every so often to make sure nothing is going awry (and also to determine if panels need cleaning to up the production).

Thing thing that got my attention is their statement about inverter modifications that could void the warranty.

What SE settings are possible on the inverter????????????????

You think it's hard getting SE portal access? Just wait until you ask them to install the panel layout in the portal :) Took me a month to get them to do it after they told me a dozen times they don't do it. I finally escalated it to the point of threating legal action if they didn't since the installation and setup is not complete until the layout is uploaded. I told them I'd be happy to do it myself as long as they gave me installer or layout manager access. I even offered to have them eject my inverter from their installer account and remove themselves as the proxy for the SE inverter leaving me to deal with SE directly if my inverter went out. In my mind it wouldn't change much because if my inverter goes out, the fastest way to get it replaced is to contact SE directly, let them diagnose it, and then they issue an RMA that you then pass on to Tesla if Tesla is still in the middle. SE even ships the inverter directly to you when you deal directly with them even if Tesla is still the installer.

Reactions: Yonki
I even offered to have them eject my inverter from their installer account and remove themselves as the proxy for the SE inverter leaving me to deal with SE directly if my inverter went out.

This is certainly quite possible without going through Tesla if it’s something that you want to do. I created an installer account on solaredge and then requested to be the installer for my own inverters. Solaredge sent me a document to sign attesting that I am the owner of the system and then they transferred the inverters to my installer account. Full disclosure, I don’t know how Tesla feels about this or whether it would cause any problems if I needed to make a warranty claim, but I figure I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Absolute worst case is that I request the warranty replacement from SE myself and if Tesla refuses to touch it then I hire an electrician to swap out the inverters.

This is certainly quite possible without going through Tesla if it’s something that you want to do. I created an installer account on solaredge and then requested to be the installer for my own inverters. Solaredge sent me a document to sign attesting that I am the owner of the system and then they transferred the inverters to my installer account. Full disclosure, I don’t know how Tesla feels about this or whether it would cause any problems if I needed to make a warranty claim, but I figure I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it. Absolute worst case is that I request the warranty replacement from SE myself and if Tesla refuses to touch it then I hire an electrician to swap out the inverters.

They'd still be on the hook for powerall and panels as far as being the proxy, but honestly, except for the powerwalls, I'm perfectly happy to deal with the manufacturers directly. Given that Tesla doesn't even install SE any more I doubt they keep inverters and optimizers on hand. They are just the middle guy that will make it take longer to get anything replaced.

I suppose you’d have to commission the inverter yourself if it needed replacing. Wouldn't be Tesla’s job any more to troubleshoot.

I have a Solar Edge inverter with my system. I just noticed that there was a Solar Edge app. Looks like it has some interesting information and if for no other reason it works in the Landscape mode on an iPad. I get a crick in my neck while reading the Tesla app. :) Do I just register the inverter with Solar Edge? Would it get access through the Tesla network or is access to it proprietary to Tesla? I have done nothing with this thus far, I don't want to somehow screw up the Tesla management of the system so I thought I'd check here first before pursuing.

I have a Solar Edge inverter with my system. I just noticed that there was a Solar Edge app. Looks like it has some interesting information and if for no other reason it works in the Landscape mode on an iPad. I get a crick in my neck while reading the Tesla app. :) Do I just register the inverter with Solar Edge? Would it get access through the Tesla network or is access to it proprietary to Tesla? I have done nothing with this thus far, I don't want to somehow screw up the Tesla management of the system so I thought I'd check here first before pursuing.

(moderator note)

I moved your post into a relevant thread on this topic. Hope this helps.

You need to reach out to Tesla to have them assign you rights to read your system as they get the data directly from it... Check my first post in this thread. You can do a chat with them and ask them for SolarEdge monitoring access. After that, you will still need to get the inverter connected via Ethernet (most likely) as the data they receive is via a direct connection I believe (in my case, via the Gateway for the Powerwalls).. If you don't have a Powerwall, the process is different, though.

Thanks for the reply. Connecting via Ethernet is not a problem believe it or not. There's a mesh node very close which is what's feeding wifi to the garage. It also has an Enet port. I'm on the road at the moment, will check this when I get back.

Ah, that does make it easy - I haven't yet had a chance as I would need to drill through the wall where the inverter is mounted and run a cable through... or, find one of those USB-powered ethernet bridge devices that I can throw in there (assuming that the USB power is constantly powered that's on the board next to the ethernet port).