TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wow. Took delivery this afternoon. Wow!

Discussion in 'Model X: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by mymacbook, Mar 14, 2016.

1. mymacbook

mymacbook Member

My wife took delivery this afternoon and the vehicle is breathtaking. It's really one thing to have come nearly two years waiting and visiting it from afar to seeing YOUR actual vehicle. We've read up on every forum we could find and it almost makes you nervous to give the Model X a chance (before you even get it). When you watch the reviews on YouTube from folks who don't even own it, it gets worse.

Comfort
    It cannot be understated how comfortable the seats and headroom are in the Model X as compared to the Model S (standard, performance, or next gen seating). The headrests are adjustable, and everyone gets one. The seats hug you with cushions, not back braces. The headroom in the first two rows is substantial compared to the S. The center seat in the 2nd row is perfect for a child or car seat.

Windshield
    The windshield in the daylight is captivating and offers gorgeous views. Those of you parents who took your kids to go see Zootopia this weekend will remember the all glass train Officer Hops rode into town on. The Model X windshield is like that, but it's real! You need to experience this to understand, the pictures don't do it justice – especially pictures from the outside looking in. Children in the center of the 2nd row are treated to a view that is spectacular and special – our daughter used the phase "Mommy this Tesla is AWESOME." She's never said AWESOME before.

Cabin Lighting
    The lighting is immersive throughout the cabin, indirect lighting in pouches in the door, handles, underneath the door, and even traditional places where premium lighting in S was (underneath arm rests). You will be bathed with indirect lighting and it just changes the entire mood besides providing necessary function. Even the falcon wing doors have light that shines down from inside the speaker.

Fit & Finish
    The doors align, satisfying "clunks" are heard, everything is automatic. Those of you with AutoPilot capable Model S cars may be thinking what else needs to be done for me? I've already got Auto High Beams, Auto Windshield Wipers, Auto Lights, Auto Dimming on Display/Cabin Lighting, Auto Door Handle Present, Auto Mirror Collapse, and even Auto Charge Port Close. But then you experience a Model X. The door greets you in the first row. The door closes for you in the first row. The falcon wing doors are like the electronic lift gate on Model S for those of you with 3rd row seating for small children – but on steroids. If you have kids in a Model S in the back, you really appreciate the electronic lift gate – the falcon wing doors are so much better and allow you a large amount of wide space to get in and out and help our little family members. The leather throughout the cabin is smooth like the recent P90Ds. The center console in the front just simply docks your iPhone, even if its in a leather case, with ease – almost a magical experience compared to the center console retrofit on Model S. Closing and opening requires no tricks (such as pushing down and then up) – and it automatically closes for you when done with a simple push. You'll find the cabin to be much quieter than the Model S, much more headroom.

Driving: Handling & Performance
    A-m-a-z-i-n-g. It's smooth, fast, and corners like a Ferrari. This is NOT a mini van. This is NOT a SUV that's going to flip over. This is something new that just did not exist before. I am terrified when my wife launches in Ludicrous mode, and yet I'm not when my friend does it in his retrofit P85D. It's not her driving – it's something about being up "so high" and seeing the entire road and sky in one blurry take. The car doesn't miss a beat and follows every cue its given. AutoPilot is as accurate as our Model S, but the radar has been redesigned to better handle the elements (e.g. ice, snow, flies).

Lack of 2nd Row Folding Seats & Other Common Complaints
    You don't want to haul things with this vehicle. You probably want to tow things though. Get the $750 tow package, I don't think you can get it later. This car is meant for your family and friends, not your lumber, or college dorm room fridge. Skis, Sleds, Bicycles can be loaded on racks and trailers – yes, still waiting for the Tesla solution, but the entire trailer hookup market is your oyster. The 2nd row seats are much more adjustable than we first tested and allow 3rd row occupants greater comfort than our worst fears (and 1st test months ago). The 2nd row middle seat can be moved forward a great distance. The 2nd row "captain" chairs (w/o armrests) can be tilted ever so slightly forward to relieve any pressure on knees for adults in 3rd row. Two 6 foot men were comfortable sitting in the 3rd row with occupants in the 2nd row simultaneously. Finally regarding the lack of an arm reset from the 2nd row middle seat, well we agree! We were disappointed that what made it into Elon's Founder Model X did not make it into Production. His center seat flipped down to make an arm rest and we were disappointed to not have it.

Final Advice
    Don't get swept up with worries like we did with the forums. How many read with bated breath ever word from Signature owners with pages of issues requiring corrections from Tesla? Well, I admit I did at least. This car is magnificent. It's ready for prime time. There will be issues in the short and long term for those of us who were early adopters, but remember this is Tesla we're talking about. I know we have a new guy in charge of service and he's got big shoes to fill, but you will be taken care of and your car will continue to get better and better – not just repaired.

This car shattered our expectations and after all of the negative reviews online, we couldn't help but post our initial feedback of ownership with you all. I hope you all love your X as much as we do once delivery comes. It's an amazing feat of engineering, fit and finish, and comfort. Once you get in it, you'll see where the Model S badly needs a refresh. :)
    IMG_2207.JPG

2. ankitmishra

ankitmishra Member

3. RationalOptimist

Nice post... thanks so much for sharing. And congrats.

4. Panoz

Panoz Member

Very nice!

5. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Awesome. Thanks also, and always safe and happy driving.

6. Galve2000

Galve2000 Member

Beautiful car! Congratulations!

7. digicool

digicool Member

Congrats! +1 to the metallic blue :) Mine is going to be the same color :cool:

8. sukhi

sukhi Member

Congratulations!
    I am expected my delivery end of this month. It is surprisingly earlier than I had expected so had not planned for it. I must say though that a raving post like yours is helps me lean towards taking the delivery myself instead of giving up my spot to someone else.
    Enjoy the drive!

9. satheesh.net

satheesh.net Member

What a refreshing review. Thank you and congrats!

10. Fanatic1

Fanatic1 Member

Congrats! Now I want one!

11. hotrod

hotrod Member

Congrats. I get mine tomorrow.

12. umeshunni

umeshunni Member

Congrats to you too! VIN #?