Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wow!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got our new SR+ on Thursday. It was on time and an overall nice experience! Car is in perfect shape and is soo much fun to drive. Not sure why I ordered AP, I want to drive it!!
An employee dropped it off at our home and was helpful going over the car then she took an Uber back to Tesla. My wife now wants to trade in the 2nd car for a model Y when it comes out because she likes it so much And she wasn’t really sure about the whole electric thing before hand. I test drove one but she never even sat in an EV before. We might never buy another gas car again. Thanks Tesla.

My wife now wants to trade in the 2nd car for a model Y when it comes out because she likes it so much And she wasn’t really sure about the whole electric thing before hand. I test drove one but she never even sat in an EV before. We might never buy another gas car again.
And so it begins. I have the same situation in my house and it only gets worse.

When I reserved the model 3 on 3/31/16, my wife said, "do we really need such an expensive car?" :( While waiting for the model 3, she referred to it has "YOUR car." :) When we took delivery, she loved the white car with the white interior but insisted, "too fast, too complicated, and too expensive." :confused: After a week of driving it, she started calling it "MY car." ;) Today, 3 months later, she punches the car at the stoplight with the best of them, she knows the technology better than I do, and she asks, "why didn't we get one of these sooner?" :rolleyes: Now she wants me to put down a reservation on the Y. :eek: She says, "When we get the Y, I'll drive it and you can have MY model 3!" :mad: She insists she is never going back to ICE car again, ever! o_O

Last edited:
And so it begins. I have the same situation in my house and it only gets worse.

When I reserved the model 3 on 3/31/16, my wife said, "do we really need such an expensive car?" :( While waiting for the model 3, she referred to it has "YOUR car." :) When we took delivery, she loved the white car with the white interior but insisted, "too fast, too complicated, and too expensive." :confused: After a week of driving it, she started calling it "MY car." ;) Today, 3 months later, she punches the car at the stoplight with the best of them, she knows the technology better than I do, and she asks, "why didn't we get one of these sooner?" :rolleyes: Now she wants me to put down a reservation on the Y. :eek: She says, "When we get the Y, I'll drive it and you can have MY model 3!" :mad: She insists she is never going back to ICE car again, ever! o_O
At least you got some time with it. My wife also has free work charging so she might win out driving it, at least during the weekdays

Reactions: Carl_P
Just got our new SR+ on Thursday. ......My wife now wants to trade in the 2nd car for a model Y when it comes out because she likes it so much And she wasn’t really sure about the whole electric thing before hand. I test drove one but she never even sat in an EV before. We might never buy another gas car again. Thanks Tesla.

Yep! Been there, dun that! After 3 weeks with hubby's 3, I had to have my own. (Pssst: he's NEVERRRRRR driven mine!) hahahahahaha!

I had put in a reservation or a 3 quite awhile ago and while I was waiting I bought an S. My wife was scared of it. While I was out of town her ICE vehicle had an issue so she drove my car for awhile. She fell in love with it and told me she was ready to get her 3, I had keep my reservation because I knew she would want one.

She loves the car and the slightly smaller size and simpler interface compared to my S. She loves launching from stop lights and the stereo. And yes, she is thinking the Y would be a nice addition.

Neither of us has any intention of ever going back to ICE for daily drivers.

I had put in a reservation or a 3 quite awhile ago and while I was waiting I bought an S. My wife was scared of it. While I was out of town her ICE vehicle had an issue so she drove my car for awhile. She fell in love with it and told me she was ready to get her 3, I had keep my reservation because I knew she would want one.

She loves the car and the slightly smaller size and simpler interface compared to my S. She loves launching from stop lights and the stereo. And yes, she is thinking the Y would be a nice addition.

Neither of us has any intention of ever going back to ICE for daily drivers.
That user interface is really nice! I spent an hour in the garage just playing with all the stuff on

Reactions: Off Shore
Same when I reserved the model 3 my wife called me crazy, now it’s the only car she wants to drive. I also love driving it but auto pilot is so nice to have on long stretches of highway, high cross winds, and heavy traffic. The car is fun to drive but driving isn’t always fun.

Reactions: ggnykk
Inspired by T34ME's brave tale of EVTOSS (EV Take-Over by Spouse Syndrome), here is my story:

0. In 2008 (after trying to find a BEV for a few years) I converted my wife's Prius to a PHEV. She was OK with me trying it, but warned me that it would become my car if anything went wrong.
1. I loved getting 100mpg in the Prius at first. But I very quickly became frustrated with the engine constantly coming on. The Roadster had just started trickling out; it was small and expensive and had a long wait list and there were no charging stations, service or sales center within 800 miles. Tesla had just laid off a significant portion of their staff and the "Tesla Death Watch" was in effect. I definitely wasn't going to get one of those, but I looked harder for a BEV. It would have to be a conversion or used as nobody else was building them.
2. In early 2009 I finally won an ebay bid for a 2003 RAV4-EV in Utah. My wife said (in a manner meant to ensure that I would not forget) "you can experiment all you want with YOUR car, but leave my Prius alone!"
3. I had the RAV4 shipped to me. When it arrived, it was the first BEV I had ever seen. I really liked it! (It was 10 years ago this month - that was my last tank of gas in my 60mpg Honda Insight).
4. Within 3 weeks, my wife realized the RAV4 was a better car than hers. The heartbreak of EVTOSS; I was now stuck with the Prius. (Although, as others noted above, we did have an arrangement where she would let me drive the RAV4 on the rare days that I had to go farther than her).
5. I'd had a taste of a BEV; now I definitely didn't want to drive the Prius. But if we both went BEV, one of the cars had to have notably longer range. So I had no choice but to order a Roadster in mid 2009. EVTOSS forced me to do this.

327306_10151168389040053_1771736382_o.jpg

In 2012, my wife replaced her beloved RAV4 with a Model S. We sold the RAV4 to a couple in LA...they already had one, but kept fighting over who got to drive it, so they wanted another one...the EVTOSS cycle is vicious.

Last edited:
BE CAREFUL!!!!!

It started out that way for me and now I am stuck driving her Prius

It went from your car, to our car and now she says my car.

Don’t let them fool you

Just got our new SR+ on Thursday. It was on time and an overall nice experience! Car is in perfect shape and is soo much fun to drive. Not sure why I ordered AP, I want to drive it!!
An employee dropped it off at our home and was helpful going over the car then she took an Uber back to Tesla. My wife now wants to trade in the 2nd car for a model Y when it comes out because she likes it so much And she wasn’t really sure about the whole electric thing before hand. I test drove one but she never even sat in an EV before. We might never buy another gas car again. Thanks Tesla.

You can play this game with other people's relationships too.

My next door neighbor's wife had commented that my model s looked good. So I offered to take the whole family for a spin. Easing slowly down the road she said "oh it has some acceleration then". I said "would you like to see what it can do" and then switched it to ludicrous mode.

Ever since then she's been on his case! I think it's highly likely they will get a model 3 as soon as they get to Australia.

Haha. No taking over, we made a deal that whoever drives the most that day gets the car. We drive pretty similar mileage so should even out

Many of these stories sound very familiar.

We had the same deal with our first Model 3. Wifey complained that I seemed to have many more client meetings after we took delivery. ;)

We experienced some good-natured marital strife until we took delivery of our second. Peace has returned to the household.