Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WPB Area X owners, care to trade demo rides?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lolachampcar

Nov 26, 2012
WPB Florida
I saw a bunch of signature Xs being delivered out of the West Palm Beach Service Center. Any new owners care to trade a demo ride (my wife has one on order and we are curious)? I can provide a McLaren drive or some aerobatic flying in trade :)

Bill

The dilemma has now moved to the second stage..... We got our email to configure. There is no way I am buying one without driving it and the Service Center (1) has no idea when they will be delivering the Xs they have in the back lot (sigs) and (2) when they will receive a demo. I'll check with regional sales management but the local sales guys told me X invites are like the S where you configure or loose your place in line......... I'm really getting tired of this way of doing business.

I saw a bunch of signature Xs being delivered out of the West Palm Beach Service Center. Any new owners care to trade a demo ride (my wife has one on order and we are curious)? I can provide a McLaren drive or some aerobatic flying in trade :)

Bill

Bill, if I had my X (same as you, I'm invited to configure but want a test drive first) I would do almost anything to let you drive it! Your contributions to the forum alone would be fair enough exchange. Then you bring up the McLaren and aerobatics!!!! Wow. Well, I do offer gratitude for your contributions, that I give freely. Let us know what you think after your test drive.

I'll check with regional sales management but the local sales guys told me X invites are like the S where you configure or lose your place in line......... I'm really getting tired of this way of doing business.

I was invited to configure in early December but I'm waiting for a test drive. I'm happy to wait another couple of months to make sure that the X is right for me --- otherwise it's an expensive mistake.

The dilemma has now moved to the second stage..... We got our email to configure. There is no way I am buying one without driving it and the Service Center (1) has no idea when they will be delivering the Xs they have in the back lot (sigs) and (2) when they will receive a demo. I'll check with regional sales management but the local sales guys told me X invites are like the S where you configure or loose your place in line......... I'm really getting tired of this way of doing business.

I suggest calling the inside sales team about the "configure-or-lose-your-place-in-line" thing. That is completely opposite of what's happened with Signature reservations, and opposite of what I would expect for production reservations.

What I've been told by inside sales about my Signature reservation - there's no date (yet - that's my addition) by which I must configure.

If I were to make a Production configuration instead of Signature reservation, I would just go straight into the production queue (no falling back in line). Of course, if I were to configure a 70D, then I'm sure I'd be near the front of 70D production deliveries later in the year when those actually start.

What I expect will be the correct answer for your production X reservation - your place in the queue of cars to be built won't be established until you configure and order the car. Then you'll go into the production queue based on what you order (so P90D will get built before 90D, etc..) and when you actually order it (others ordering a similar configuration before you will be in the production queue ahead of you, while others ordering a similar configuration will be somewhere later in the queue, subject to batching). In that sense, you'll slide back in the reservation queue until you actually place your order, but that's all.

Along these lines, I expect there will be some signature cars being delivered all the way out in Feb or March (like mine probably) due to the same issue you've got - I'm going to see one in person before I place the order.

bonnie,
Absolutely provided the driver/pilot is comfortable with the hardware.....

Mike,
The WPB Service Center has a good number of Xs on the lot. I do not know this for sure, but it seems like they are sorting some issues before delivery. I'm hoping to meet one of those owners but would love to see yours when it comes in.

As for the above offers, they really are open to all my Tesla peeps irrespective of having taken delivery of an X :)

bonnie,
Absolutely provided the driver/pilot is comfortable with the hardware.....

Mike,
The WPB Service Center has a good number of Xs on the lot. I do not know this for sure, but it seems like they are sorting some issues before delivery. I'm hoping to meet one of those owners but would love to see yours when it comes in.

As for the above offers, they really are open to all my Tesla peeps irrespective of having taken delivery of an X :)
I'd love to let you drive ours but we only confirmed a few weeks ago after we got to sit in one.
We also were on the edge, but sitting in one was good enough for us.
I think we were at the service center the day after you laid rubber in the back of the parking lot.
What airport do you fly out of? North County?

The car chirped the whole way across the concrete parking lot...... It was hilarious and I was not driving at the time.

Yes, North County which makes the Service Center on my way to and from the airport. I suspect they are regretting buying the old crane building :)

Bill

I can add Zero motorcycle and/or a glider ride as well.

I honestly have absolutely nothing worthwhile to add here, but had to comment on these two statements: Wowsers:love: That is so many toys I'd like to have a go at:) Hoping for videos if someone picks you up on your offer!

There is no way I am buying one without driving it.
Hehehe, for several(exact number censored...) reasons this sentence made me giggle a bit;) and that is in fact giggling at my own expense as well!

Edit: for some reason I didnt catcht the post saying "we passed on the X" so much for being to late to a "party" :(

Reason for passing on the X?

Amy and I just stopped by the Service Center and have decided to pass on the X. Many thanks to those looking out for us.

Sorry to hear that. May I ask why?

We configured our X last month without seeing it or driving it in person. It's a total leap of faith. We take some comfort in the fact that the initial reviews from the Signature X owner seems to be mostly positive. Any specific concerns about the car based on what you saw?

It is a combination of a lot of things. It is part "why?" in that the X is so much bigger than the S but really does not offer that much more space/utility for us. We rarely need seven people seating and, when we do, it is not five plus two smaller people so we would likely end up taking two cars. Even folding down the two rear seats, our S' feel like they have more storage (with their rear seats up). I also fear the electrically actuated items on the car. Neither my wife nor I have sun roofs simply to avoid the electrically actuated nature and the potential for water/wind leaks. I've had to fix sun roofs in the past and even the best of them are a nightmare.

Lastly, its also a little bit of disillusionment with the whole idea. There was a time when I would look for an excuse to move my current Tesla into the secondary market and generate another new car sale. That time has passed which puts even more burden on the X to be a reason to make a change. We will likely replace my wife's current S with an S90D at some point. She got one as a loaner when her drive unit was being replaced and has yet to stop talking about it :)