Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrap / Dip - Advice on Rear applique

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I'm about to wrap my Pearl white MS. Going to go white on the handles and rear applique, however my installer says he'll need to dip it cause Tesla says it's not possible to reinstall it without damaging it. Would love to hear any feedback on this please. I can't imagine this is an issue as there are plenty of wrapped applique's. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Hello,

I'm about to wrap my Pearl white MS. Going to go white on the handles and rear applique, however my installer says he'll need to dip it cause Tesla says it's not possible to reinstall it without damaging it. Would love to hear any feedback on this please. I can't imagine this is an issue as there are plenty of wrapped applique's. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

That’s nonsense. Tesla says nothing of the kind. I’ve wrapped and reinstalled half a dozen appliques with no problems.

Reactions: davidc18
I've removed the rear applique twice when replacing the inner portion of the stop light assembly. The ends are held down by thin foam with adhesive on both sides. Nylon fish line or dental floss works best for cutting through this foam/adhesive. For the rest, work both sides alternately, going toward the center, using a nylon panel tool with a "U" shaped end.

At the SC I use the most, the manager told me that their techs will quickly break off an existing applique, and replace it with a new one, when changing out an inner tail light assembly. At $175/hr, they find it is too time consuming and tedious to re-use liftgate appliques.

I've removed the rear applique twice when replacing the inner portion of the stop light assembly. The ends are held down by thin foam with adhesive on both sides. Nylon fish line or dental floss works best for cutting through this foam/adhesive. For the rest, work both sides alternately, going toward the center, using a nylon panel tool with a "U" shaped end.

At the SC I use the most, the manager told me that their techs will quickly break off an existing applique, and replace it with a new one, when changing out an inner tail light assembly. At $175/hr, they find it is too time consuming and tedious to re-use liftgate appliques.

This is largely about the time it takes to remove the glue residue on the taillights when the applique is removed. That takes much longer than removing and reinstalling the applique. And of course, you need extra double sided tape for the ends of the applique, which any service center should have.

Mineral spirits/paint thinner is helpful for removing the glue residue. This solvent is relatively weak, and won't damage plastics in my experience.

The double sided foamy tape you get from your local SC comes in two versions that are shaped a little differently. Best to take a couple of pictures of the tape residue that you can show the parts people so they give you the correct part number.