Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrap now or wrap later when the SC/body shop needs to do rectification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
145xx VIN picked up about a week ago. Sent Tesla email with list of defects before 3 days/100 miles; I was told that they will review the issues and get back to me on what they can do/are willing to do as 'goodwill'. SC appointment scheduled for three plus weeks out from today; that was first available at my local SC.

Defects fall into categories of:
  • Driver side front door aligned too high, rubbing trim against paint, other related alignment issues caused by the door
  • Paint defects (10+ in total; nibs, fish eyes, previous touch-up, small scratch, orbital buffing marks)
  • Fitment issues - trim pieces, hood side-to-side alignment, trunk lid aligned too far back, passenger side tail light, ...
  • Inside issues - only two, including a rear seat height alignment issue, passenger seat cushion/padding exposed
The paint defects are actually very minor in my opinion and only require a little TLC and touch-up paint that I think my preferred detail shop can do in a few hours.

After the paint issues are addressed, I wanted to get the car wrapped as soon as possible for paint protection purposes, but I am concerned about the SC or body shop's work messing with the wrap to do their rectification of the driver's door and some of the fitment items.

Because of this concern I have owned the car for a week and left it in the garage mostly unused; it has 81 miles on it after about a week of ownership. I loathe the idea of it sitting unused for about three weeks, especially when I likely won't get the car back from the appointment for what I assume will be days if not weeks given what needs to be worked on.

Reading forum discussions about changing door alignment with a chisel, crowbar, and/or sledge hammer and hood mounts/hinges are bent to adjust the hood by the SC or body shop make me think that I need to wait until the car has finished all rectification to avoid them from damaging a wrap.

But, I am making some assumptions about the work that has to be done to fix these issues. Anyone that had SC/body shop rectification like this car needs that had a wrap already what was your experience? Did you have to have the affected body part re-wrapped?

TIA for your responses!

YMMV. I did the wrap before door alignment which requires some minor touch up paint (close to PPF). I told them there is PPF and they asked me to sign the waiver. However, the body shop (in Palo Alto) did a very good job that did not mess up the wrap. The touch up paint is perfect.

Depends the body shop that your SC contracted, my current experiences so far are pretty good.

145xx VIN picked up about a week ago. Sent Tesla email with list of defects before 3 days/100 miles; I was told that they will review the issues and get back to me on what they can do/are willing to do as 'goodwill'. SC appointment scheduled for three plus weeks out from today; that was first available at my local SC.

Defects fall into categories of:
  • Driver side front door aligned too high, rubbing trim against paint, other related alignment issues caused by the door
  • Paint defects (10+ in total; nibs, fish eyes, previous touch-up, small scratch, orbital buffing marks)
  • Fitment issues - trim pieces, hood side-to-side alignment, trunk lid aligned too far back, passenger side tail light, ...
  • Inside issues - only two, including a rear seat height alignment issue, passenger seat cushion/padding exposed
The paint defects are actually very minor in my opinion and only require a little TLC and touch-up paint that I think my preferred detail shop can do in a few hours.

After the paint issues are addressed, I wanted to get the car wrapped as soon as possible for paint protection purposes, but I am concerned about the SC or body shop's work messing with the wrap to do their rectification of the driver's door and some of the fitment items.

Because of this concern I have owned the car for a week and left it in the garage mostly unused; it has 81 miles on it after about a week of ownership. I loathe the idea of it sitting unused for about three weeks, especially when I likely won't get the car back from the appointment for what I assume will be days if not weeks given what needs to be worked on.

Reading forum discussions about changing door alignment with a chisel, crowbar, and/or sledge hammer and hood mounts/hinges are bent to adjust the hood by the SC or body shop make me think that I need to wait until the car has finished all rectification to avoid them from damaging a wrap.

But, I am making some assumptions about the work that has to be done to fix these issues. Anyone that had SC/body shop rectification like this car needs that had a wrap already what was your experience? Did you have to have the affected body part re-wrapped?

TIA for your responses!
Question, how did you email them? Or did you just post it into your service appointment?

As a partial follow-up to the original post. After, three weeks the car had 124 miles on it when I left to drop it off at the Service Center.

The car's estimated completion date has changed three times and if it finishes when it is currently estimated to do they will have had it for two weeks.

I'll add another follow-up once I get it back for closure.

They ended up having the car for three weeks. I had the ppf and the tint put on shortly afterwards.

Generally the repairs were acceptable. But....

The repairs by the Tesla sub'd body shop on the driver's side door left the driver's side mirror loose. It rattles at highway speeds. I think they simply didn't get the mirror back in its retaining slot after working on the door.

Car goes back in soon for that issue and a new hood latch intermittent warning. Expecting about a week this time.

Oh.. and my emblems were removed and lost/broken by the Tesla sub'd paint shop. I got the car back and only noticed a day later that the badging was gone. Not a huge deal since I was having the car wrapped, but I had plans for the emblems still and I did pay for them as part of the car. One of the emblems is on back order. While the other was received and then apparently used for someone else since they didn't have both yet.

Looking forward to a time when the car is 'done'. It gets compliments with the stealth wrap! (Young girl at Chick-fil-a drive-thru standing next to the car taking our order: 'this is the nicest car I've ever seen!'; both my wife and I thought she was being sincere too.)