Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrap (PPF) after ceramic coating

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had no issues installing or removing PPF on top of a ceramic coated car. Granted my only experiences have beeen with Optimum Opti-Coat pro, the OG carpro Cquartz and carpro cquartz UK 2.0. All 3 had Xpel ultimate applied after the ceramic coating with no issues, in fact it made removal of the ppf a little easier, but still required a steamer to stretch and pull the PPF to remove. It was simply less of a hassle than non coated parts. The downside is that it's sort of a waste of money but for me I purposely applied ceramic coat before applying PPF.

Even after 6 years on one of my model S's, the ceramic coat underneath was still beading and had excellent hydrophobic properties after removing the PPF.

As always YMMV.

Strong akaline cleaners and degreasers can significantly and quite rapidly degrade ceramic coatings. it's not that hard to partially degrade the coating if you're really concerned about adhesion without doing another mechanical polish.

I'm in the process of doing full front and fenders. After I'm done, I will do a ceramic coating on the entire car, including areas with ppf. This is a common practice from what I've been reading.

From what I've been told is that PPF over a year or so start to turn yellow-ish -- are you worried about that? I am thinking of doing the same thing you are doing, the PPF on the full hood (cause cutting it in half always looked funny to me), and side fenders then Ceramic the rest.

depends on type of PPF

I have xpel ultimate for over 3 years. It's garage parked but I work 8 hours and it sits outside in the california sun.

No yellowing at all. HOWEVER, do not do part of the hood. If you do and remove the ppf, the paint under would look brand spanking new while the exposed area will change in paint color due to the elements.

From what I've been told is that PPF over a year or so start to turn yellow-ish -- are you worried about that? I am thinking of doing the same thing you are doing, the PPF on the full hood (cause cutting it in half always looked funny to me), and side fenders then Ceramic the rest.

I'm using 3M Scotchguard Pro and it has a 10 yr warranty against yellowing, bubbling, cracking, etc. Of course, the warranty is if you get it installed by one of their certified installers. I'm not worried about the yellowing. If it's quality film like 3M, Suntek, Xpel...you should be fine.

I think you was told wrong, Not the case with Xpel.

Fred

Reactions: beezy