Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapped glass roof?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did anyone put wrap on glass roof to match car color or wrapped the whole car including glass roof?
I enjoy glass roof, but it the summer it gets a bit hot. Local tint shops talked me out of tinting it since they don’t have roll that is big enough or they are just not comfortable to do a good job tinting it. I looked at at glass roof shades and don’t like that they sag and people had to glue magnets to keep those in place. And that works only when the windows are closed.

Sooo I was thinking if putting wrap on glass roof will make it better. Either match color or put black wrap on roof and pillars.

Please post some photos!

Did anyone put wrap on glass roof to match car color or wrapped the whole car including glass roof?
I enjoy glass roof, but it the summer it gets a bit hot. Local tint shops talked me out of tinting it since they don’t have roll that is big enough or they are just not comfortable to do a good job tinting it. I looked at at glass roof shades and don’t like that they sag and people had to glue magnets to keep those in place. And that works only when the windows are closed.

Sooo I was thinking if putting wrap on glass roof will make it better. Either match color or put black wrap on roof and pillars.

Please post some photos!
There are shops that have tint big enough to do the whole roof. I’m planning to take mine in to get 20% put over the factory tint.

There are shops that have tint big enough to do the whole roof. I’m planning to take mine in to get 20% put over the factory tint.
3 really good high quality tint shops in Baltimore area refused to do it.
If some people have suggestions for Baltimore DC area good tint shops that tinted full roof tint would be back on the table.
Though I like the look of wrapped roof 👍

3 really good high quality tint shops in Baltimore area refused to do it.
If some people have suggestions for Baltimore DC area good tint shops that tinted full roof tint would be back on the table.
Though I like the look of wrapped roof 👍

That shop in AZ that did the roof wrap also does roof tint, but it is expensive and takes a long time. They said you have to keep the car indoors until the tint is finished stabilizing or the water between the tint and the roof actually boils away leaving voids... so you end up with a spotty roof tint. If I had to guess, this is one of the reasons (in addition to the size issue) many tint shops won't do the roof.

Keith

That shop in AZ that did the roof wrap also does roof tint, but it is expensive and takes a long time. They said you have to keep the car indoors until the tint is finished stabilizing or the water between the tint and the roof actually boils away leaving voids... so you end up with a spotty roof tint. If I had to guess, this is one of the reasons (in addition to the size issue) many tint shops won't do the roof.

Keith
Yep. heard it pretty clear $500 to tint roof and keep cool or wrap for $200.
May be the that is another reason local shops are staying away, since they do not want to deal with this headache.

I sure wish there was a less permanent way to darken the roof so one could enjoy the view when the sun and heat is not an issue and cover up when it is.

Maybe some sort of removable cover that snaps in place and could be rolled up and stored in the trunk? If done right they could make it classy looking color matched leather/vinyl.

Of course electrochroamatic would be ideal but I assume it is very expensive for a roof that size.

Tint: Requires wider than normal material, which is expensive. Most shops can't afford to keep the rolls of wider tint in stock, as they just don't sell enough of it. Install also requires 3 experienced installers, as the sheet is huge, awkward, and needs experiences hands controlling it.

Tint install: $250. I had mine done here in HOT, SUNNY, DFW. The reputable shop (Scott's Solar Auto Spa, Dalworthington, TX) actually asked me to leave the car outside, IN THE SUN, to speed up the curing time. It may all depend on the installer, and the amount of moisture that is left behind. I had ZERO bubbles, install appears flawless. Expect some water marking on the beige headliner, but in my case, it evaporated w/o leaving a stain.

YMMV.

I don't think tinting the glass roof of the Tesla Model Y requires removing the roof. Some shops don't recommend tinting the glass roof. The reasons could include:

The Tesla Model Y glass roof comes from the factory with a 5% factory tint (filters 95% of the visible light, UV and IR radiation) as part of the laminated safety glass.

Not all tint material is available in a large enough width to cover the full roof using a single sheet of tint.

Installing a single large sheet of tinting material on the inside of the vehicle may require up to 3 tint installers to do this quickly, properly.

There have been some statements made that adding tint to the glass roof may cause the roof to get too hot, possibly crack the glass. I have not seen this claim verified.

If you are going to add tint to the Model Y then you should first tint the front windshield to the limit allowed by your state. Then the front side windows, next the rear side windows and the rear hatch glass.

You can easily add a sun shade to the rear hatch glass (Tesla sells one) and there are a number of sun shades for the roof glass. Some of the sun shades for the roof glass now come with a second reflective liner for totally blocking out sunlight.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin and Exelion
I agree with everything stated above.

The front windshield glass and the front side glass pieces have absolutely nothing on them, they seem to be just blank glass pieces. Due to the huge size and the angle it sits, the front windshield is the one that lets in the most sun (and heat). I totally get that tinting this piece is probably illegal, but even a 90 or 80 tint on the windshield helps 10x more than tinting something already done, like the roof and back glass. After the windshield is done, even 70 on the side glass pieces will help quite a bit more.

The roof, rear sides, and back already have significant darkness to them. Roof with a laminate at 5, and rear sides and back have 25. However, the rear glass and rear side glass pieces aren't actually tinted - they're darkened glass. additional tint of 35-50 on these pieces would help, but not nearly as much as the windshield and front sides. These pieces, being darker already, and because of the higher angle and smaller area, don't help much if tinted.

If you really hate the way the light is hitting you on top, go for the sun shade, or wrap the roof. If you don't like the roof wrapped in a body color because it just looks a little weird, then wrap the roof in black, that at least would be hard to differentiate from a non-wrapped roof, since the roof is pretty dark as it is.

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin
Thank everyone for the quick replies. In day to day driving in my area of Southern California, I don't really need anything. I was more concerned about summer road trips. My wife expressed her desire not to obstruct the view if possible (e.g. looking up at the valley walls in Yosemite).

That led me to tinting. However, in California tinting the windshield, except for the top edge in blue, is supposedly illegal. I am also 69 and know I have night vision issues. So if I did get a "tint", I would want one that was clear but blocked UV and infrared if possible.

Thank everyone for the quick replies. In day to day driving in my area of Southern California, I don't really need anything. I was more concerned about summer road trips. My wife expressed her desire not to obstruct the view if possible (e.g. looking up at the valley walls in Yosemite).

That led me to tinting. However, in California tinting the windshield, except for the top edge in blue, is supposedly illegal. I am also 69 and know I have night vision issues. So if I did get a "tint", I would want one that was clear but blocked UV and infrared if possible.
There is a special tint for windshield called AIR 80
it is clear tint with heat blocker
Air 80 Clear Film
Before and After Air 80

• Informative
Reactions: 73Bruin