Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapped Mirrors Will Not Open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having an issue with my driver side mirror. The mirror stalk was wrapped, and had to be re-done because of a peeling issue.

Once wrapped for the second time, I could head that the motor was laboring to open the mirror, and ultimately noticed that the wrap was folding over itself under the mirror causing this problem. The mirror was re-wrapped last week, yet the motor still sounds as it if is having difficulty opening, and in some cases will not fully open without manual intervention. I see no evidence of peeling vinyl between the mirror stalk and the mirror itself as of yet.

Attached is the photo of what the peeling wrap looked like.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20200612_095124.jpg
    MVIMG_20200612_095124.jpg
    371.7 KB · Views: 122
You may find that it isn't the wrap that is interfering with the mirror.

I had one of my mirrors replaced under warranty and was having the same issue. AT first the motor sounded like it was working really hard and slowly. Then it just stopped working altogether.

You might want to pay close attention to it from underneath to determine whether it is indeed the wrap that is causing the issue.

I was just looking to see if anyone else had a similar issue. And what the issue was and how it was resolved.

It is odd to me that this was wrapped once without issue, and when it was wrapped again, this issue reared it's ugly head. Its possible that the wrap that caused the issue was improperly done and that actually damaged the motor... its also possible that the most recent wrap was done it ALSO was done improperly, and if corrected, the issue would correct itself.

Basically, just looking for any issues that you might have encountered and how you overcame them.

Is it possible a piece of the “peeling” wrap worked it’s way into the mechanism? Did you see them remove it? Was it intact or chewed up?
looks like it is 'over' wrapped from the picture, when mirror fold or unfold, it chewed up portion of the film, I would try to remove and dissemble the mirror and clean it up first, gonna be a huge job tho, by looking at this:

good luck

Reactions: Tesseract
Have done my own chrome delete and wrapping the mirrors was very time consuming.
This is why shops often charge a thousand dollars or more to do it...
Basically, to do it properly, it is indeed necessary to disassemble the whole mirrors after removing the door panels, as shown in the video that Wanche shared.
To troubleshoot your problem, one thing you could do is just remove the top cover and separate the mirror from the socket as shown in the video around 2:50s.
This may give you some clues about why the mirror does not fold...
It is recommended to use one of these plastic panel "shim" and also make sure to disable mirror auto folding and tilting on the MCU before proceeding.
Snapping the mirror arm back in the socket is a bit tricky too.
If the option is there, I would still let the shop who wrapped your mirror correct the mistake.
Good luck!