Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapped model 3 with different color than original door frames

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone please share some photos of their wrapped model 3 with the doors open where the inside of the door frames show the colour difference?
I want to wrap my white model 3 fury orange but don't know if the colour difference will bother me. Also do you notice the colour difference in the gaps?

Can anyone please share some photos of their wrapped model 3 with the doors open where the inside of the door frames show the colour difference?
I want to wrap my white model 3 fury orange but don't know if the colour difference will bother me. Also do you notice the colour difference in the gaps?
I have my white model 3 wrapped satin dark grey. You'll definitely notice the white between gaps. You can pay to have the door jambs and stuff wrapped but it'll cost you heftily. I asked my wrap guy to wrap like an inch strip where the gaps are and it looked much better afterwards.

If I could go back I would have gotten a black car instead lol.

Reactions: thewallaby
I have my white model 3 wrapped satin dark grey. You'll definitely notice the white between gaps. You can pay to have the door jambs and stuff wrapped but it'll cost you heftily. I asked my wrap guy to wrap like an inch strip where the gaps are and it looked much better afterwards.

If I could go back I would have gotten a black car instead lol.

Thanks, the thing is i like the white colour. Do you mind posting a photo with the trunk open or one of the doors open?
I wanted to put PPF and keep the white cause i actually like it but they asked 4000 USD here for PPF vs 2000 for colored wrap, which i think is madness.
I might as well wrap it in white then. Find a similar colour and do that instead. It will probably be fine... :)

Thanks, the thing is i like the white colour. Do you mind posting a photo with the trunk open or one of the doors open?
I wanted to put PPF and keep the white cause i actually like it but they asked 4000 USD here for PPF vs 2000 for colored wrap, which i think is madness.
I might as well wrap it in white then. Find a similar colour and do that instead. It will probably be fine... :)

The places I looked at here in CA were more expensive for PPF than for vinyl wrap, as well. I think the material is more expensive. For your question, the contrast of a bold orange color with white in the door jams and such is probably going to drive you crazy. Its already driving you crazy even thinking about it.

If the plan is to put a color change wrap on the car right away, the people I talked to who do that work for a living mentioned that one should get a black car, if thats available, because the contrast doesnt stand out as much.

Since you like the white, I would say skip both the PPF and the vinyl wrap for now, and when and if the paint gets nicked up in a couple years, THEN wrap it. You will feel like you are getting a new car. I am not on the "anti tesla paint" bandwagon, but with that being said, I personally dont feel like the paint job on these cars is so good that it needs to be protected with PPF etc.

Its all relative, though. I just plan on getting my car wrapped in a few years when I get tired of the blue that I bought, that is, if I still love the car enough to do that. I have had it 2 years and still do so far.

Reactions: thewallaby
First of all, PPF is much more expensive, and secondly it lasts much longer than a vinyl wrap.
If you do end up wrapping, I can recommend going to Folieringsenter. They did a really good job with mine, and if you get it tinted they do the entire back window in one, seamless stretch. You get a discount if you're a TOCN member.
I have no affiliation with them, just a recommendation based on my experience.

As a side note. There's no way to repair a wrap if it gets teared, so you have to rewrap the entire panel. Which sucks after a couple of years being exposed to sunlight and salted roads. I'm opting for micropaint if we get any damage to the paint. It's probably going to be cheaper in the long run. + ppf for the trunk loading area, because a stroller will leave marks

It cost me an extra $500 to wrap the door jams (here in TN) That was less than the cost of a different factory color. But if the cost in your area to wrap the jams is more than $1K, I definitely would choose black. I saved the leftover wraps pieces and used them to help cover some of the "peek a boos" between some of the panel gaps. But you only really noticed them if you were up close.

Thanks for all the great advice guys, i guess i am going with a compromise, i ll PPF the front bumper that gets sandblasted every winter and do some problematic areas like the trunk and rear wheel arches too with PPF and keep the white. As i said i like the colour so i might as well enjoy it before putting it in a tent of orange. Lets hope Elon will offer fury orange in 3-4 years so my next Tesla can be industry painted :) (he probably wont anyways...)
They asked 450USD for the tinted rear windows and 750 USD for the bumper and rear arch PPF so not such a bad deal i guess....