Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapped the inside of my steering wheel matte white

Pete9tx

Feb 2, 2021
New Jersey
Your post inspired me to do the same. As someone who tried to do it with the wheel on before realizing that wasn’t an option and starting over with the wheel off - trust me it’s necessary.
Honestly the steering wheel dissemble was painless and I did have a bit of a unique aspect due to my Model Y having a heated wheel. Took maybe 3 hours start to finish and everything works and functions perfectly. Seems like a lot of work for little gain but the visual improvement is pretty striking.

Attachments

• 1DEA1481-3BE4-4A15-8789-FF2BD2D09984.jpg
    1DEA1481-3BE4-4A15-8789-FF2BD2D09984.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 64

ochompsky

Oct 26, 2020
md
im the worst biggest idiot. i took out the middle screw and somehow forgot to remove the left power plug. when i pulled out the wheel, the assembly behind it came out as well with a bunch of ribbon cables, totally drenched in lubricant. can't be put back.

the entire driving module needs to replaced, $500 out the door 🤦‍♂️. luckily, mobile can replace it and is able to come tomorrow.

and now im sitting here, too scared to take apart the wheel and finish the task at least.

hamtonp

Sep 4, 2018
Dallas
I did record some of the install process.
Let me put the video together and I will post a link. It's not a full how to but at least you get an idea on how I did it.

imschur

Feb 14, 2021
Chicago, IL
I did mine - for me taking the wheel and trim off and putting it back on the car was 10% of the effort, most of it was stretching and heating the wrap to get around all of the angles. I *really* can't begin to fathom doing it with the wheel on the car, I just wouldn't have the patience. I also added white stalk covers and white wrap on the logo.

1.jpeg

adhoc

Jan 24, 2017
SoCal
I did mine - for me taking the wheel and trim off and putting it back on the car was 10% of the effort, most of it was stretching and heating the wrap to get around all of the angles. I *really* can't begin to fathom doing it with the wheel on the car, I just wouldn't have the patience. I also added white stalk covers and white wrap on the logo.

View attachment 657560
WOW whites stalks!!!
how hard was that wrap?
great look!!!

ochompsky

Oct 26, 2020
md

View attachment 657560

what is that floor liner/mat? looks like it has white accent?

Helicos

Apr 27, 2021
Canada
I followed this guide a few months ago and posted it elsewhere but I figured I should post my results here. I had less trouble disassembling it than what was in the reference videos that OP linked to but otherwise they were still immensely helpful. As @imschur mentioned, most of the effort went into wrapping the bottom half, which required a lot of patience. Absolutely love the effect.

Attachments

• IMG_0052.JPG
    IMG_0052.JPG
    162 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    209.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_0127.JPG
    IMG_0127.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 29

adhoc

Jan 24, 2017
SoCal
I have a whole extra steering wheel,
leather w/trim & scroll wheels if anyone
is interested in a spare to work slowly?

I went overboard on mine!

IMG_1989.jpeg

Reactions: lgxray

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC