Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapped the inside of my steering wheel matte white

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks @TLLMRRJ for the idea

received my trim piece today from eBay and ordered the wrap BUT i am gonna spray paint it instead. Too many areas to fold the wrap around. Researched and found Krylon matte white paint/primer so gonna give it a try. Should only take 5 mins to paint. Bonus is that the trim itself stands off the ground so you can actually evenly coat it.

Also for whoever wants my original one I can coat yours and send it to you or send it plain. I bought another trim bc I didn’t want the down time but once this goes in I can paint/send my swapped version.

0F3EC99C-AC85-48AC-987E-836B4B97D50D.jpeg
33A15703-5A20-46BB-8055-9CCB69AD6F63.jpeg

As I mentioned early on, paint is definitely an option and what the steering wheel companies must be doing, so it’s not a bad thing.

But for other’s benefit, it sounds like you didn’t try heating the wrap to get it soft and easy to wrap around the corners? It’s really like a sheet of easy to mold putty when warm. The people that wrap cars always heat the wrap for any curved sections or corners.

The bonus of wrap is that you get a flawless finish when done without needing painting skills or waiting around for multiple coats and then overnight to dry.

This is an interesting product:
for Tesla Model 3 RED Car steering wheel decorative ABS patch accessories Trim | eBay

It's not just a sticker over the button areas like most options, but a complete molded piece that goes over the trim frame as well. The red color is pretty hideous, but could look good wrapped or painted in white.

You probably need to pop off the airbag to install, but not disconnect the electrical connector. Even with popping off the airbag, the install would be super easy.

The bonus of wrap is that you get a flawless finish when done without needing painting skills or waiting around for multiple coats and then overnight to dry.

That's what I was thinking... I HATE painting! I ordered the film and also ordered the Chrome Delete Kit from NikolaPro, which has a heat gun included. Figured between the 2 projects I will get a bit of experience in wrapping!

Thanks - had just found that.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
That's what I was thinking... I HATE painting! I ordered the film and also ordered the Chrome Delete Kit from NikolaPro, which has a heat gun included.

A heat gun will work fine, but hopefully it has a heat setting. The wrap needs very little heat to soften so watch out because heat guns are designed to get hot enough to melt paint off metal. A hairdryer is safer for small wrap jobs like the steering wheel.

A few more coats and it’s done! Need to flip it to get the backside

View attachment 512968 View attachment 512969
Looking good. You bought the $45 one right? I’m trying to get this $100 guy to come down to that same price. Lol.

PM how much you’re looking for with your original one. I was also looking to decrease downtime!

we could literally start a chain of Sending the extra bezel.

I'm trying to do this, but am having trouble removing the steering wheel. I watched all the videos, and it seems simple enough. I pressed in with Allen wrenches on both sides, and the airbag pops loose just as in the videos, but I can't seem to pull it out from there. It looks like it just lifts right out in the videos, but for some reason mine still seems stuck. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

I'm trying to do this, but am having trouble removing the steering wheel. I watched all the videos, and it seems simple enough. I pressed in with Allen wrenches on both sides, and the airbag pops loose just as in the videos, but I can't seem to pull it out from there. It looks like it just lifts right out in the videos, but for some reason mine still seems stuck. Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

May need to apply more pressure to fully release it