Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping a new M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems really cheap. I assume there isn't a big price difference between clear wrap and one of the color ones.

These cars look awesome. Love the chrome delete and color matched handles
Thank you! With wraps, there are tons of shops that offer the service. The pricing can vary based on how good your technician is. With any type of application like tint or wraps, a shoddy job will result in bubbles, peeling, and other unsightly issues. To be fair, it's just good to shop around and actually take a look at a car one of the shops have completed. Living in LA, I've seen so many cars driving around with terrible wrap applications. You get what you pay for.

From people that have done protective wraps, how long do they last before they start looking like they need to be re-done?

XPEL has a 10 year warranty if done by a licensed installer.

*edit*

Realized you’re talking about the vinyl wraps. I’d say depending on conditions/environment, 3ish years if well taken care of. Road debris/pebbles etc can/will tear it up though. Better the vinyl than the paint. Actual paint protection film would offer better protection of course.

Last edited:
I can't speak for the specifics of gemmisa's order, but I have done some work on my Model 3, some of which also took place at T Sportline.

From here, it looks like that's a 35% tint all around in 3M Crystalline film to go with a full body 3M Gloss Dark Red wrap and 3M Gloss Black chrome delete (w/ dark red on the chrome door handles instead of black) + T Sportline's 19" Gloss Black TST Turbine wheels and tire package. Also looks like the front Tesla T emblem was completely removed while the back emblem was replaced with a duplicate emblem painted black.

Hello,
I really do love that color red!! I am ordering soon, Gemmisa Is the 3M Dark Gloss Red the actual color?

Thanks!!

beautiful colors, everybody!

here's my contribution to the mix....

Avery Matte Metallic Blue with Satin Black chrome delete. Wrap Bully's in Santa Fe Springs charges $2500 for any regular gloss/matte/satin wrap from 3M or Avery, extra for chrome/carbon fiber/brushed metallic wraps. chrome delete is $800 (400 if bundled with wrap). It is super easy to maintain since i run it through the automated car wash every 3 days. All it takes is less than 5 minutes each time just to dry any loose drops and keeping it looking brand new. My tint is 35% front, 25% back and rear window.

40026882_257262301783836_2704502101261680640_n.jpg
40037105_666551440395564_7683624010675912704_n.jpg
39974402_315817102522620_8055611149657309184_n.jpg
20180811_174018_resized.jpg
20180811_173959_resized.jpg
20180811_173937_resized.jpg
20180811_173902_resized.jpg
20180811_173606_resized.jpg

40047946_2228583674039011_6412751245148160_n.jpg

Greetings! I just did a full 3M wrap for my Model 3 and here are a couple of photos to show off how gorgeous the color is. I also had the door jams wrapped too, which is more tedious and time-consuming, but definitely looks better. I had my other cars wrapped with 3M as a means to protect the paint and temporarily change the color for fun. Upon selling my cars, I have the 3M removed and the original paint looks great. I haven't had any issues at all. Unfortunately, I haven't used Avery on any of my cars, but that's partly because I liked the color offerings 3M had more.

There's a company called T Sportline here in LA. They did my complete 3M application and also the crystalline tint. They did a good job and happy with it so far. You have to look very close to even realize that it's even a wrap and that's because of the vinyl material finish. Real OEM paint just has a unique luster that is hard to replicate.

One of the most important factors to consider is paying for a well-experienced and skilled technician for the application. Also, depending on the color and brand you select, the actual finishes can vary greatly. Seeing the actual swatches help, but when applied they do have slight variations, again depending on the color/brand. Living in Los Angeles, I often see 200k priced cars with terrible vinyl applications. Bulging at the seams, air bubbles, and peeling are issues I've seen and it's very unsightly. The imperfections are magnified under the sun and it's a hot mess!

I don't know anyone in the NE area, but can ask around. Hope this info helps!

View attachment 284031 View attachment 284032

Please show pics of the door jams and also let us know the 3m color code for that amazing Red. Also , what color was it originally? I like that red so much I may just wrap my Red 3 in that red!

Thanks for sharing.

Hello,
I really do love that color red!! I am ordering soon, Gemmisa Is the 3M Dark Gloss Red the actual color?

Thanks!!

Gemmisa used

Chrome Delete: Avery gloss black
Wrap: 3M 1080-G363 Gloss Dragon Fire Red
Tint: 3M Crystalline 70% windshield 40% the rest
Wheel: Tsportline 19" gloss black TST with black lug nut covers
Tires: Pirelli Pzero Nero GT 235/40/19

I write things down.... haha

Reactions: RopDaddy
How close is the dragon fire red to the actual MC Red from Tesla? I'm curious if it's obvious when next to a stock red. If it's quite a difference, I'm wondering which 3M color is closest. I ordered a blue M3, but am considering wrapping it in red. I actually like the 3M Cinder spark red- I know it's quite a bit darker.

I also like the idea of yellow, but perhaps the gloss finish instead of satin.

Well when you are talking shades of Red, it of course depends on lighting. Even just the stock tesla red looks completely different based on the lighting. The same goes for the 3M Color. It actually has some orange in it, but it is hard to see in a lot of the pictures I've seen of Gemmisa's car. But the pictures of it look beautiful. The nice thing about wraps is that you can tailor them to be exactly what color you like. I actually ordered a small piece of it a month or two ago and had it mailed to me to see it in person. Never took it up to a model 3 to compare it though.

XPEL has a 10 year warranty if done by a licensed installer.

*edit*

Realized you’re talking about the vinyl wraps. I’d say depending on conditions/environment, 3ish years if well taken care of. Road debris/pebbles etc can/will tear it up though. Better the vinyl than the paint. Actual paint protection film would offer better protection of course.

Hi. I'm about to take delivery of my White M3. I really want to get it wrapped, and was considering 3M Satin Frozen Vanilla. I believe my other option is getting XPEL Stealth, to change the glossy look to a Satin look.

Are they at all similar products? Is XPEL not a vinyl wrap?

Hi. I'm about to take delivery of my White M3. I really want to get it wrapped, and was considering 3M Satin Frozen Vanilla. I believe my other option is getting XPEL Stealth, to change the glossy look to a Satin look.

There is a lot of info on this forum regarding the different types of wraps.

From my understanding, and as described to me by the person wrapping my car, is that the 3M is only a color changing film, and not a paint protection. It's thinner and won't provide the same type of protection for the paint as the XPEL Ultimate, or Stealth. So, it comes down to what you want more - color change, or paint protection.

Things like XPEL Stealth, or another brand's Satin or Matte finish can still be PPF. If they don't actually change your color but only the sheen / gloss of your existing paint color, they may not be a Vinyl wrap.

XPEL Stealth specifically is PPF. (But if you do this, you have to wrap the whole car, vs a clear PPF can be partial)

3M Satin Frozen Vanilla is a Vinyl wrap and not PPF. (Because you are specifying the color, and not just a satin or matte PPF film)

Last edited:
The 3M vanilla wont ifferbyiu much in terms of paint protection. So just be aware of that. XPEL/Llumar/Suntek etc are actual paint protection films. They are also more pricey as they offer more in terms of protection and warranty.

Don’t remember how thin vinyl wraps are compared to true ppf (I think ppf = 3x’s thicker?)
Of course you can do a color change with vinyl and put ppf on top of it, and clear ppf headlights, windshield, rims, lol.. overkill...

• Funny
Reactions: forkee
Does anyone know where I might find the guys that wrapped this Hellcat? I'd be the only guy on my block with a TM3 wrapped like this ...just for kicks, your thoughts ? Thanks in advance ~ Rich

Attachments

• 2015_dodge_challenger-pic-8137257999367588808-1024x768.jpeg
    2015_dodge_challenger-pic-8137257999367588808-1024x768.jpeg
    53.7 KB · Views: 637
  • Funny
Reactions: Mr X and forkee
Gemmisa used

Chrome Delete: Avery gloss black
Wrap: 3M 1080-G363 Gloss Dragon Fire Red
Tint: 3M Crystalline 70% windshield 40% the rest
Wheel: Tsportline 19" gloss black TST with black lug nut covers
Tires: Pirelli Pzero Nero GT 235/40/19

I write things down.... haha

I thought ELRev said 3M Gloss Dark Red and gemmisa confirmed on page 1. Are you sure it's Gloss Dragon Fire Red?

I thought ELRev said 3M Gloss Dark Red and gemmisa confirmed on page 1. Are you sure it's Gloss Dragon Fire Red?

Well, that was information provided to me by TSportline when I sent them pics of Gemmisa's car back in April since it was said to have been done by them. I had interpreted ELRev's comments to be more generic of a "Gloss red" and not specific but that was just how I read it at the time. But they could have been mistaken.

Whatever color it is, it looks great!