Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrapping, Coating, etc - investment or waste?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been exposed to a crap ton of M3 folks incessantly discussing which wrap, or coating or bra etc they are going to apply. Could you help me understand whether one of these is a no brainer for any new car, or just avoidable bling / overinsurance. I'm only interested in protecting the resale value of the car, don't care about shiny / color benefits. Thanks!

Reactions: P85_DA and ronin
I just got frontal paint protection film because the whole front is a magnet for debris that may cause damage over time. That was more of a personal preference rather than thinking of resale value.

I don't really believe ceramic coating is worth it at all. Save the money and just wash the car as you would normally wash and care for a car. People forget that in the end, it is a car on the outside with different insides. Heh.

The clear bra makes a lot of sense in my eyes, it helps avoid those little chips that pick away at your car and diminish the new car look. The ceramic coat is more of a visual thing and a personal decision, if you want your car to look freshly waxed everyday and feel it is worth the cost than do it. If you don't really care about that or enjoy waxing your car as man people do than it is not worth it.

I have a clear bra on the front end, the hood, the mirrors etc.. and I have a ceramic coat but I have a friend that runs a detail shop and got a good discount. I don't know that I would have done the ceramic coat at full price but I do the clear bra on every car the day I buy it. Nothing drives me crazy like rock chips that I have to look at every time I wash my car.

I really struggled with this one. Ended up going with PPF for just the front (scheduled two days after delivery later this month). I never normally care about this, but in this case, I feel like the front of this car is a big magnet for pain. Too much paint, not enough grill.

However, if youre only thinking of resale value, it won't matter. Sure, your enthusiast might care.. but said enthusiast is more likely to be very very specific about their car so its unlikely to make an impact at all.

Everyone's goals for their car is different, hence the different options. If all you care about is future resell value, I recommend no extra paint care. The difference between "excellent" and "above average" in terms of getting your money's worth back just won't be there. I'd like to think the majority of owners want to enjoy their car in the NOW rather than keep it pristine and locked up just so that resell value does not depreciate.

With that being said, you can put a little or a lot into it, worst case scenario happens like it gets rammed into by another car in the parking and 200 layers of wrap/ppf/ceramic ain't gonna do $h1t, lol. So yea, it's good to keep resale value in mind, but don't let it hinder you from enjoying your car. It is an investment for you while you use the car, but it is a waste if you are thinking it will add value when it comes to selling it.

Last edited:
I've been exposed to a crap ton of M3 folks incessantly discussing which wrap, or coating or bra etc they are going to apply. Could you help me understand whether one of these is a no brainer for any new car, or just avoidable bling / overinsurance. I'm only interested in protecting the resale value of the car, don't care about shiny / color benefits. Thanks!

Great attitude ... :rolleyes:

I have PPF on front half and nano ceramic all over.

I agree with other posters that the hood is a magnet. I think over time protecting the paint supports value. Most folks look at the visual condition of the car. For me though it’s personal pride. I look at the car every day pretty much and having it in good condition makes me happy.

The nano ceramic is in place of waxing. If you don’t wax it might not make any difference. It should also preserve the color. I usually wax 4x a year. The nano ceramic is superior at making the car easy to clean, etc, and pays for itself in dollars and time within about 18 months.

I think it’s a waste. If you trade it you won’t get dime more for it.

After 5 years or so a little nick here or there you probably won’t care that much.

You can’t keep a car like new unless you don’t drive it.

These plastic wraps remind of the 60s-70s when folks would plastic wrap their living room furniture.

I’ve kept cars as long as 12 years and they generally look well above average inside and out.

FWIW the car I'm about to get rid of I've had for 11 years next month.

The first 8.5 years I had about a 5 mile drive to work, virtually no in-traffic highway driving... other than 1-2 road trips a year that drive to/from work, and mostly city driving, is what I did....and the paint still looked pretty good at that point.

Then we moved "out to the country" and I had a 35 mile drive each way, almost entirely highway, with traffic.

And even being very careful about follow distance to trucks and whatnot it looks noticeably worse after the last 2.5 years than it did after the first 8.5.

So I'm for-sure getting the Model 3 wrapped, given I plan to keep it at least as long as this car and I've seen what my current drive does to cars.

If I still lived at the nearby place I likely wouldn't bother.

(that much longer, mostly highway, drive is also why I knew my next car needed to have EAP, since basic TACC on most other brands is absolute garbage in comparison)

• Informative
Reactions: Thp3
For me, it’s about keeping my car looking it’s best for as long as possible. The moment I get that chip or scratch to me hurts. Most people may not notice it there, but I would. Wrapped the front of my ex-wife’s Audi and not even two weeks later a large piece of a semi’s blown out tire got kicked up right into the hood. Pulled over, and expected it to have left a mark... scuffed the clear bra and no damage done to the hood itself. The self healing properties of the PPF these days is nice it went away all on its own. I don’t expect to get my money back from what I put into the car but when I walk into the garage every morning my car looks like it just came out off the line.

All this stuff exist because there is a market for them.

Maximum resale value is not putting 1 penny into it. Sell as is or fix areas where return > investment at time of sale.

How you care about what your car looks like between buying and selling it is a personal valuation preference.

So as far as the answer op wants to hear: it’s a “waste”.

If you don't care about the car looking good then definitely don't get PPF/ceramic coating. They do nothing for resale value. If you do care about having a car that looks good, is easier to wash, gives off that oily shine, and you would like to reduce blemishes from debris, then PPF & ceramic coating are well worth it.

My experiences so far having my Model 3 for 2 months now, is I've gotten my front bumper scraped by a car in a grocery store parking lot, and a rock the size of my thumb launched and stuck on the front of my bumper. Luckily, I did have my front bumper wrapped, so the scrape was wiped off with no damage under the wrap, and the rock I peeled off and the wrap self-healed with again no damage to the bumper. Both of these cases, had I not done the wrap, they would've caused paint damages. I got my money's worth in just 2 months, and I cringe when I think what might come next.

If you do care slightly about the looks of your car, then please get the front bumper wrapped. At the very least, do the front bumper. Out of all the places on my car, the front bumper is taking the most beating. The hood hasn't had anything happen yet (knock knock), but the front bumper is attracting debris, bug guts, and inconsiderate bad drivers.

As for ceramic coating, I did it to make washing my car easier, and to hold that oily shine longer. There's no debate about it, ceramic coating last a lot longer than wax. If you feel like waxing your car often, then sure, don't get the coating just wax the car yourself. But it's hard to compare to ceramic coating that is thicker, semi-permanent, and has great hydrophobic properties. All of which allows you to keep the car looking good and shiny easier.

If you don't care about the car looking good then definitely don't get PPF/ceramic coating. They do nothing for resale value. If you do care about having a car that looks good, is easier to wash, gives off that oily shine, and you would like to reduce blemishes from debris, then PPF & ceramic coating are well worth it.

My experiences so far having my Model 3 for 2 months now, is I've gotten my front bumper scraped by a car in a grocery store parking lot, and a rock the size of my thumb launched and stuck on the front of my bumper. Luckily, I did have my front bumper wrapped, so the scrape was wiped off with no damage under the wrap, and the rock I peeled off and the wrap self-healed with again no damage to the bumper. Both of these cases, had I not done the wrap, they would've caused paint damages. I got my money's worth in just 2 months, and I cringe when I think what might come next.

If you do care slightly about the looks of your car, then please get the front bumper wrapped. At the very least, do the front bumper. Out of all the places on my car, the front bumper is taking the most beating. The hood hasn't had anything happen yet (knock knock), but the front bumper is attracting debris, bug guts, and inconsiderate bad drivers.

As for ceramic coating, I did it to make washing my car easier, and to hold that oily shine longer. There's no debate about it, ceramic coating last a lot longer than wax. If you feel like waxing your car often, then sure, don't get the coating just wax the car yourself. But it's hard to compare to ceramic coating that is thicker, semi-permanent, and has great hydrophobic properties. All of which allows you to keep the car looking good and shiny easier.

Thanks for sharing. Your story peaked my interest.

For the record, my 2017 Summit Jeep. 2 years on the road with 30K miles on it. There is one nick on it, and I did it myself when I parked near a pile of bricks (which I knew were there) and opened the door right into the corner of a brick. It is below the lowest crease in the door so I don't notice it much. I don't think wrap would have helped. The hood and front grill is perfect. My commute is OFF highway and short. But we do 300 miles on the weekends to our retreat. I'm not a fast driver (especially in an SUV). And rarely go above 65mph. I think folks that drive 65 vs 85 it makes big difference. I traded a 30K 2 year Jeep. It didn't have one mark. And traded another 30K 2 year Jeep before that, also perfect. I also never bother to wax and they look gleaming when I wash them.

But the Model 3 does have a fairly blunt front that is all painted. So perhaps just a front wrap is worth it.

Oh, also my headlights lens on any car have never pitted or been dull. I think again that is driving habits (including speed). I'm VERY careful how close I get behind cars and where I park. Always park in the shade 99% of time or in my garage.

I agree, it doesn’t help resale value at all. For me it’s peace of mind, or as much as I can get. I park in a crowded lot at work, and have already gotten several scuffs in my full wrap that would have been paint damage otherwise. One was a person opening their door into mine and catching and scraping the wrap. Wrap is damaged and that piece needs replacement now, but the paint underneath appears to be unscathed.

And I don’t have to worry about swirling my paint when washing my car. Which is nice.

Based on everything you just said I'd recommend getting a clearbra ppf for your M3, especially if you do it early in your ownership while the paint is still in great condition. Whether you decide to do the whole vehicle or just the full front end is up to you, but I'd recommend at least the full front because it's vulnerable to rock chips while driving.

If you have two exactly the same M3's with same number of miles, but one has a clearbra on it from the get-go and the other one doesn't, clearly you can ask for more when you decide to sell it because the paint is in better condition, especially if you're selling the car yourself. Sure, you could repaint them if they got really chipped/scuffed up, but that'll affect your resale value.

Some things to consider. While a PPF and ceramic coating don't necessarily add resale value what it does do is add time and potentially save you money over the course of owning the vehicle.

For PPF as several people have pointed out it helps save from scrapes and rock chips. Now sure you could touch up rock chips yourself, have a shop do them or just leave them when you trade the car in but then all of those situations cost you money. The first example is how much is your time worth to you? Does spending a couple of hours on a Saturday fixing rock chips sound like fun to you? Is there anything else you could be doing better with your time?

For a ceramic coating this all depends on how you maintain your vehicle. Do you spend a Saturday every once and awhile hand washing and waxing your vehicle? What if you could shave that time down into 15-30 minutes and your done? You also need to look at the fact that ceramic coatings protect against enviromental damage and UV damage. Not everything can be 'buffed out'. Bird poop etching, bug etching, tree sap, water spots, fallout all of these are examples that can damage your paint over time. A ceramic coating takes the brunt of these damaging effects instead of your paint.

Something else to consider is that the clear coat layer on your vehicle is only the thickness of a post it note. Theres only so much polishing and damage it can take before having to be repainted.