TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

wrapping handles - face only or entire handle?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by virtualsmack, Feb 18, 2017.

1. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

hi all. i'm doing a chrome delete and have the option to do handle faces only or entire handle for about 200 more.

for those that have done the chrome delete, any opinion or things to consider?

leaning towards doing face only since aesthetically would look the same, but would love to hear any issues w doing so or other considerations others have thought through.

thanks
    Gabe

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The main reason to wrap the entire handle is that some complain about the hot handles in the summer. Wrapping would mitigate that.

• Informative x 1
  3. Skione65

Skione65 Member

@virtualsmack,

Personally I'd spring and do the whole handle or nothing at all. I do realize that parked all you see is the face, however when they present to me it looks horrible and amateurish to just see the face covered and chrome showing on the sides and top. It would drive my OCD nuts! Lol
    Therefore if you can get a clean professional looking job done do it all. Much more professional, complete and finished looking. Ymmv.

Ski

• Like x 1
  4. UnpluggedP

UnpluggedP Vendor

When we do chrome delete we do the entire handle. It's a more meticulous and time consuming process but the results are much better. Plus if there is nothing to adhere to the vinyl will start peeling. We end up fixing a lot of work from other shops. This is an example that came in recently. As you can see the cut off isn't smooth and the corner is starting to lift.

file1.jpeg

• Like x 2
  5. DA808EV

DA808EV Member

Yeah you have to do the entire handle. Just looks cleaner when the handles are presented and also helps with hot handles during the summer months.

• Like x 2
  6. virtualsmack

virtualsmack Member

thanks to everyone for the advice and thanks to @UnpluggedP for that pic. that sealed the deal for me... full handles it is... i'm not sure I could live w/ that kind of look on the face-only wrap.

Gabe