Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrecked #1056 For Sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On my first look at the photos, it looks like the passenger side lower wishbone mount got dinged, which means some frame straightening is required.

Otherwise, just the front non-CF nose piece and the stuff behind it - all of which should probably be replaceable.

Anyone know what's possible to do on the Tesla/Lotus frame?

(Edit: This thread used to be called "Wrecked #1042", but I pointed out the listing was for car #1056... The title has since been corrected.)

#1056 was previously mentioned here:
#1056 Salvage Auction

It looks like the eBay version is "cleaned up" somewhat.

Currrent eBay:
238.jpg

Original Auction:
22357101_4X.JPG

Last edited:
It looks like the eBay version is "cleaned up" somewhat.

Yes, very clean! Looks like a brand new Roadster. One of rear mud guards was broken clean off and it looks like the passenger side airbag deployed. Definately more fixing needs to be done than just replacing the front bumper. They must have tried to drive over a pile of rocks or something, very sad to look at that. This type of accident demonstrates how a small mental lapse while driving the Roadster can instantly take $40,000 off the value of your car.

Hi Nicol thanks for your input. Given you've rebuilt a wrecked VX220 (close relative of both the Lotus Elise and Tesla Roadster) how would you rate the chances of being able to rebuild this car? And the cost and effort involved?

Hi Nicol thanks for your input. Given you've rebuilt a wrecked VX220 (close relative of both the Lotus Elise and Tesla Roadster) how would you rate the chances of being able to rebuild this car? And the cost and effort involved?

The aluminium chassis is made out of extruded sections, bonded and riveted together and then baked for a few hours to cure the resin. Ive heard of people drilling out the rivets, and cutting off sections of the chassis for repair. To be honest though, I wouldn't dare repair any of it as its pretty much a monocoque structure and any altering of it will affect its integrity. Even straightening it out is a no no as aluminium wouldn’t retain its strength once it has been deformed/damaged. Its a real shame as the crash structure (the black box section fibreglass structure bonded to the front of the chassis) is easily cut off and glued back on with Tiger Seal or similar.

To be honest, if I were to repair this Tesla, or even buy it in a few years after its been fixed up, I wouldnt be happy unless the chassis had been replaced completely. The other option is a total strip down and then get the chassis properly repaired by Lotus or Tesla.

The pictures make it look like a easy fixer-upper but because of the chassis damage I would be pretty reluctant to take on what would no doubt end up a really big job.

For what it is worth, that car got repaired and has been daily driven for a long time now. The owner likes it best of his 3 Roadsters...

(But he doesn't post here anymore.)