Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Writing a letter to my Representatives (USA)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For what its worth, I am writing a letter to my Senators and House Reps (US and State) in the faint hope it may slap some "common sense" into them.
I live in Texas, you know, oil country, but doing so is better than doing nothing.

I am asking community to read over my letter and offer ideas, or completely different letter.
I image keeping letter short is best, but to get all the points.

Thanks for help (big or small, + or - )

Actually, is there a EV club in Houston? (quick google) Duh, there is one.
Will join them, meanwhile sill want to send message.

Dear XY

Electric Vehicles are everywhere in my neighborhood.

I live in southwest Houston, Fort Bend county, one of the most consistently top-rated neighborhoods in America and a one of the strongest Republican districts as well. If you recall this is Republican house Majority Leader Tom Delay old district (currently held by Troy Nehls).

In 2020 I was occasionally saw an electric vehicle, usually the easily recognizable Tesla, but on occasion a Nissan Leaf or a BMW i3.

In 2021 that rapidly changed with a literal explosion of Teslas. Early in 2021 it was 1 a day, now (September 2021) I can easily see 3 a day, my record is 10 while doing errands. There is a Tesla charging station on IH-69, one day went to restaurant nearby and counted several premium Model S and Model X there, in all it was easily $500,000 in electric cars right there.

The money is on electric vehicles. Tesla is building a massive factory in Austin which means thousands of new jobs. Texas is going electric faster than a stampede.

Also Tesla beat out Chrysler (or whatever its called now), GM, and even Ford, as most American car according to cars.com.

(concluding sentence. Loss for words here)

Sincerely

I didn't see any mention of what you want them to do.

Allow Tesla to sell in the state? Allow Tesla to be part of any new EV credit scheme? Just recognize that EVs are a good thing?
The intent is to underscore EV is where the community interest and money is going, and to drop hints that they should support bills that encourage it (and naturally enrich themselves, as they usually do)
I could be more direct, just do not want to be "bossy"
what "common sense" are you hoping to impart? (I don't see any action items here.)
That people are running to EV in a Big Oil state, and a Big Oil city (I think Houston is more in petroleum than Dallas, despite the TV drama makes you think).
Basically, the money is in Electricity, not Oil.

(Maybe mention that Texas produced 5x more wind generated electricity than California?)

BTW, thanks for comments!

Any other thoughts or suggestions?
As noted above. State what you want them to do up front, explain the case/need/resolution they need to take, then restate the beginning action again in the closeout. Finish out with a thank you and looking forward to their response.

Keep it simple and short so they understand. IMHO, they aren't the brightest folks in the world. More than likely you will get a "canned" letter from a staffer and nothing will get done, but you tried. Remember, it is a GOOD thing we don't get ALL the government that we pay for. :)

Reactions: MontyFloyd
In 2021 that rapidly changed with a literal explosion of Teslas. Early in 2021 it was 1 a day, now (September 2021) I can easily see 3 a day, my record is 10 while doing errands. There is a Tesla charging station on IH-69, one day went to restaurant nearby and counted several premium Model S and Model X there, in all it was easily $500,000 in electric cars right there.

The money is on electric vehicles. Tesla is building a massive factory in Austin which means thousands of new jobs. Texas is going electric faster than a stampede.

Also Tesla beat out Chrysler (or whatever its called now), GM, and even Ford, as most American car according to cars.com.

be careful of the examples you cite ... there is a big movement in government to make solar and EV access more equitable ... basically people who buy $100K cars shouldn't get any government subsidies regardless of how clean tech the cars are ...

Reactions: MontyFloyd