Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Writing off electricity instead of gas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, to answer the OP's question, my Chargepoint app / home charger gives me my cost of electricity based on the current Toronto Hydro rates. I have it set up so it will only charge at off peak times, and it provides reporting on the costs. Obviously doesn't factor in delivery, debt recovery, etc, since it's just using the base rate per kwh, but it's a useful and very easy way of keeping track.

You have insanely low electricity rates. Some as pay as much as 10x more. So for them 40k miles could be closer to $5000 a year, and certainly worth writing off.

He did not include the delivery fee for that electricity. I have to follow Garlan around this forum and periodically point out this fact .

Edit: I see another ComEd customer beat me to it. Need to tag team Garlan and his kwh boasts.

I'm driving about the same if not more...…

40K miles @ $0.04 KWH ( my home kwh average price here in Illinois ). - without my solar panels.

The model 3 is rated at 241 watt hours per mile...Soooo

3 miles = 1KWh. ( rounded up to 330 per mile from 241 for my lead foot ).

That means that 40K miles @ $0.04/kwh is going to cost me $533 for the year. Really? I ain't going to write that off.
1. This is the Canada section. Maybe you're lost.
2. We pay upwards of 55% income tax here so we're most certainly going to write that off...that $533 means we get back up to $275.
3. We pay easily double that electricity price on average so in fact we're getting back more like $600 at that level of driving.

Unless you want to send us $600...

Reactions: Dr. J
1. This is the Canada section. Maybe you're lost.
2. We pay upwards of 55% income tax here so we're most certainly going to write that off...that $533 means we get back up to $275.
3. We pay easily double that electricity price on average so in fact we're getting back more like $600 at that level of driving.

Unless you want to send us $600...
Sure I will.

Reply here with your address.

No I mean relative....You know what I mean. Lets not play games.

There is essentially no relative difference between 1 penny and 2 pennies even though the amount is doubled.

Come on now.
There's a pretty big difference between 60,000 pennies and 30,000 pennies. Which is what we're actually talking about here.

Anyway we don't have pennies. We got rid of the penny years ago. Try to keep up.

• Funny
Reactions: Dr. J
Whooaaahhhhh……. your 12th post and this is the question?

This forum has no walls.

Go about 7 posts above this one - back to the start of this thread - and ask everyone that isn't from Canada the same question

I'll wait.

Why all the aggro Garlan? Just because I don't post in every part of the forums here it means my opinion counts for less? The other Americans who posted here seemed to only do so because you were posting incorrect information.

• Disagree
Reactions: Garlan Garner
Why all the aggro Garlan? Just because I don't post in every part of the forums here it means my opinion counts for less? The other Americans who posted here seemed to only do so because you were posting incorrect information.
What? This non Canadian post has nothing to do with me - Writing off electricity instead of gas?

Well lets talk about the content. What is incorrect about my information?

Now we are using the forum correctly.

• Disagree
Reactions: Koflach
mjaxmi1mntlhnmewmzayothmyjjm.png

Maybe we can get back to facts...

Is it possible to meter your HPWC if you have one? (Does that even make sense)

Measurement Canada has some pretty specific requirements for metering electricity use by the kWh when dollars and cents are involved. Anyone wanting to record electricity use for financial reporting *may* have to comply with the same criteria. It is possible using a Measurement Canada compliant sub-meter on the charging circuit, but with the onerous requirements, not for the feint of heart.

This sounds like a situation for Tesla FI or one of the other programs that uses your MyTesla credentials/mobile access to log every trip and every charging event.

I have been tracking data from TeslaFi (I subscribe), a dongle connected to my Tesla diagnostic port (FleetCarma) and my own sub-meter on the charging circuit. The results are NOT consistent or the same across these 3 sources. I think the only thing CRA would accept is Measurement Canada-certified meter data, but even then, there is the opportunity for fraud by connecting other loads to the charging circuit, so who knows...

Likely only a per km write-off would be permitted.

Reactions: Struja and Nikkin