Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Written off over 2 years ago - resurrected in Poland?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, my first 2016 Model S 90D was written off about 2 years ago after some severe damage. Frame damage all along the passenger side, crippled and crumpled, front wheel/suspension destroyed, A and B pillar damage, all airbags deployed, front passenger door ripped off. I've never bothered to have Tesla remove it from my profile. Now, it's suddenly come back alive in Piaskowa in Poland. I gather that someone got it and rebuilt it and I wonder if they know it's history, particularly the amount of damage?

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Tesla already "accepted it" if it's alive in your account, they have a process to move cars from one account to another but the new owner will either need to show proof of ownership or you need to tell them to move it to the account he tells you. You won't be able to do much on your own, you'll need his account info.

I wouldn't mention anything about your wrecked car to tesla yet, they would just wind up disabling things he already has working. When you contact them, just say "I sold my car, the new owner is First Lastname and his email adddress / tesla account is: ____

Too bad there isn't a way to send a message to the MCU through the web interface.

My bet is it was sold as parts, and it's really just some hacker type that has it on his/her bench.

Has it moved around? Or has it remained stationary?

I'd be torn because on the one hand I'd want to remove it from my account, but on the second hand I'd have curiosity as to what was going on with it. There is also a chance that contacting Tesla could result in things being disabled. If I was in the OP's shoes I'd ask the internet for advice just like the OP did.

Honk, Flash, Trunk openings, Audio selections, Air conditioning (extreme heat or cold) ... the fun ....:D

I'll tell you that most of it functions - I won't do things that would compromise security (open frunk/trunk, unlock, etc). It hasn't moved since I've noted that it's online. It's near Koniecpol Poland.

The temptation to "ghost" it is low. I'm not out to irritate or "big brother" it. I'm on the fence about informing Tesla, however, I probably will simply because even if it's only the MCU, I don't know the legitimacy of the other parts and whether they're bought or stolen.

• Funny
Reactions: MelaniainLA
Just email Tesla you no longer own the car and wish it removed from your account. I did that when I sold one, and again when totalled the second one (technically sold to the insurance company). I didn't provide a new owner, just that I don't own it anymore - both times it took a day or two and the car was gone. Of course that was before the flood of M3's, so the wait today may be much longer.

Great idea, the car drives itself to Warsaw, hops on a plane and comes to the US. Now that would be a huge marketing win for Tesla ;)

The question would be at that point, if you recall your previously owned car, are you stealing it? ;)

Come to think of it, if Tesla does get through with autonomous drive, then think of the repercussions if you miss a payment - the car goes back to Tesla pending payment.