Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong information

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered a Tesla model 3 black color on August 31st 2019. When I visited the showroom at Charlotte-Mathews on 31st Aug and spoke with the sales representative, he said the black color is free and does not cost anything. He also said the car is available in the showroom and they can deliver it by 3rd or 4th September 2019. I never heard anything from them and I tried to call the showroom many times to reach him but never did. I also tried to email him to discuss about my Tesla but never heard back from them. Today after calling many times they've sent me the motor vehicle purchase agreement final price sheet and it says I've to pay $750 for the black color. The employee in the showroom said I have only 2 options either I've to pay $750 for the black color or I've to change the color to white and it'll take couple weeks to deliver. I feel like they lied to me at in the first place and now trying to cheat me. Itried to reach the corporate office to inform this miscommunication and ended up reaching the showroom.

White became free and Black $750.00 not $2500, Red was the only one at $2500.00 in March 2019.
Now Red is down to 2000.00

If they charged you 2500.00, contact customer service to cancel your order and tell them why and then once your order has been cancelled, reorder. Customer Service can find you one ready to go.

Fred

I ordered a Tesla model 3 black color on August 31st 2019. When I visited the showroom at Charlotte-Mathews on 31st Aug and spoke with the sales representative, he said the black color is free and does not cost anything. He also said the car is available in the showroom and they can deliver it by 3rd or 4th September 2019. I never heard anything from them and I tried to call the showroom many times to reach him but never did. I also tried to email him to discuss about my Tesla but never heard back from them. Today after calling many times they've sent me the motor vehicle purchase agreement final price sheet and it says I've to pay $750 for the black color. The employee in the showroom said I have only 2 options either I've to pay $750 for the black color or I've to change the color to white and it'll take couple weeks to deliver. I feel like they lied to me at in the first place and now trying to cheat me. Itried to reach the corporate office to inform this miscommunication and ended up reaching the showroom.

Salesman was wrong for new orders (it changed a while back), he may have been giving you a deal on the showroom car. But since you evidently went home and ordered a new car, then you didn't get the showroom car. When you made the order, it should have shown the price.
If you had purchased while in the store and he could have assigned the cat to you, that would be one thing. Once you stepped out of the showroom, it was a different set of rules. For all you know, the showroom car was sold to someone else just as you left the showroom.

Sorry, white or $750 today. (Or whatever the website says when you order).

White became free and Black $750.00 not $2500, Red was the only one at $2500.00 in March 2019.
Now Red is down to 2000.00

If they charged you 2500.00, contact customer service to cancel your order and tell them why and then once your order has been cancelled, reorder. Customer Service can find you one ready to go.

Fred
I am guessing the $2500 he paid was the standard deposit for purchasing a car, not what an additional paid for the black color

What does your order form show? When there have been price changes from what I’ve seen they have honored the order form pricing. Here’s mine:

8F1A87DA-0DB7-4245-9D54-6723420C41E9.png

When you paid your deposit of $2500 whatever you submitted at that time is what you ordered and agreed to pay. So I guess the question comes down to what was on your form?

Does sound to me like the black showroom car, since already produced was priced as a free color choice per the Monroney sticker assigned to it at time of production, and they could deliver that car to you in a few days but you didn’t take them up on it so no doubt it was sold.

FWIW I ordered the Pearl white at $1500 and love the color.

Last edited:
They told me that the black was free because they had it in the showroom and the sales representative never spoke to me after that.

It was, now it isn't.
If you think Tesla's prior word is good for anything ... good luck with that ... and welcome to the Tesla world.

Where things change all the time, especially prices, and no-one is empowered to make a decision, other than Elon.

Relax, enjoy, and good luck!

• Disagree
Reactions: ibGeek
Sounds like he was speaking about the showroom car specifically. You are likely out of luck.

However I bought my car in April. Went into the showroom on a Friday and they had an inventory car ready to go with a red paint discount of $2500 at the time. The SA said to let him know and gave me his number. I called back later that afternoon, no answer and no answer through Tuesday, left messages along the way etc. Finally called the store on Tuesday and the SA wasn't in but spoke with the manager , told him I wanted the car and was told the discount was no longer available as of Monday. I finally reached the SA, explained the situation and he was able to get the discount reinstated because I had been calling and leaving messages about wanting the car.

Point is anything is possible so keep on them. But ultimately I wouldn't let $750 get in the way of driving a great car.