Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong outside temp reading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had my car at service for this issue, and the following was done for the repair:

Performed first thermal test. Passed. Removed and replaced louver for outside temp sensor. Performed thermal test after replacement,. confirmed test passed. Outside temperature within specs after driving vehicleCorrection:
Active Grille Shutter (Remove & Replace)

Parts Replaced or AddedPartQuantity:
MY ACTIVE GRILLE SHUTTER ASSY(1494159-00-A)

Reactions: techmagnetic
Mine is slow to show correct outside temp too. Makes the climate control a bit confused until it figures out how freaking cold it actually is outside. (-7c inside garage & showing on car display but actually -24c outside).
It takes quite a long time for my outside temperature to report accurately. For example, this morning my garage was around 55F while it was 14F outside. Took around 15 minutes for the outside temperature to report reality. Is this a software issue or is the outside temperature sensor just in a spot that is really slow to change temps? This would happen on our old car as well--it would just correct to actual temps much more quickly.

Lol. It was 18 outside this morning when I left my garage. 30 minutes, and 26 miles later, mine still read 50.
And yes, the entire climate control depends on that sensor being right.
Wow. That's even more extreme than my experience. Although now that I think about it, after 15 minutes mine wasn't reading completely accurately. It was just closer to reality. I think it read like 25F or so, which I think was close enough that the climate control was working more or less properly. Half the week I park the Tesla outside the garage, and on those days the temperature sensor is accurate. I guess that's the solution? 😂😂

A single data point, for sure, but no issues with mine. I frequently check temps, thermometer at home, local weather app, etc,, and VIN 88,xxx is within a degree or two. Granted, we're not having huge temp swings here...30f-70f.

Curious: Where exactly is the exterior temp sensor? Is it getting covered with road debris/dust/leaves?

A single data point, for sure, but no issues with mine. I frequently check temps, thermometer at home, local weather app, etc,, and VIN 88,xxx is within a degree or two. Granted, we're not having huge temp swings here...30f-70f.

Curious: Where exactly is the exterior temp sensor? Is it getting covered with road debris/dust/leaves?
Do you park your car inside or outside? Like I said, when I park my car outside, the exterior temperature is accurate. It's just that it takes a long time to adjust when you go from a climate-controlled garage to driving.

The climate control this morning was cranking....couldn't understand why until noticed temp showed 13° when it was about 38°....was parked outside entire time.
Any fix (I tried a soft reset to no avail, drove it for 15 min...) you guys came up with?
20230102_080345.jpg

The outside air temperature (OAT) sensor is located inside the front wheel well (passenger side.) The wiring harness for the OAT sensor is prone to being chewed by rodents (mice, rats and squirrels.) Open a service request in the Tesla app, hopefully Tesla Mobile Service can come to your location and determine if rodent damage is the reason why the OAT sensor is giving a false reading. This type of vehicle damage, less your deductible, should be covered under your automobile comprehensive insurance.

Reactions: Georgesb2
The outside air temperature (OAT) sensor is located inside the front wheel well (passenger side.) The wiring harness for the OAT sensor is prone to being chewed by rodents (mice, rats and squirrels.) Open a service request in the Tesla app, hopefully Tesla Mobile Service can come to your location and determine if rodent damage is the reason why the OAT sensor is giving a false reading. This type of vehicle damage, less your deductible, should be covered under your automobile comprehensive insurance.
Yeah, I ain't going near insurance for something like this. sensor is probably cheap anyway

It appears the reported temperature is a smoothed function that is really slow. It's unfortunate, because I really like to glance at the screen to see if the water on the roads might be frozen. My garage is much warmer than outdoors in the winter, and it takes over 10 minutes to give an accurate outdoor temp.