Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong Power declaration by TESLA leads to re-payable Tax??!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Together

Today I got a letter from the local Vehicle registration office (live in Switzerland), telling me I have/had wrong power specs in my registration papers and I need to replace the registration paper, due to TESLA sent corrected power specs.
...after more than 10years!...leading to a massive tax increase repayable for the last years with too low specs.

I wondered if you also got this? (Roadster owners or also otthers?)

How do/did you handle it...(I tend to expect regress-payment from TESLA for the past tax-cost, due it was clearly their fault)

Hi Together

Today I got a letter from the local Vehicle registration office (live in Switzerland), telling me I have/had wrong power specs in my registration papers and I need to replace the registration paper, due to TESLA sent corrected power specs.
...after more than 10years!...leading to a massive tax increase repayable for the last years with too low specs.

How do/did you handle it...(I tend to expect regress-payment from TESLA for the past tax-cost, due it was clearly their fault)

I would say "Wow, Tesla tracked down the local registration office for a vehicle they finished all manufacturing on almost 10 years ago, and updated the power specs?" then request they send you a copy of said update.

Do you know what "power spec" they are referencing? Is the number on your previous registration papers?

Why would they change the published specs for a car they barely care about and haven't made in nearly a decade? And knowing Tesla, I find it very hard to believe that they would send any such notification to the Swiss (or any) authorities even if they did. Something doesn't seem right here.

Reactions: dhrivnak
What’s the betting they have the roadster 2020 specs.

@thomas.rueesch ...

And I bet Tesla didn't send it to them without them requesting an update, and probably didn't specify "which" roadster. Tesla probably figured no one is asking about the original roadster power specs so provided the new specs. This makes more sense than any change in spec of the original...

Reactions: dhrivnak
Hi Together

-->Here's the final outcome:
...TESLA did nothing wrong. The previous owner's vehicle registration office did.
...according to the COC the max power is 225kW...and not 40kW
...and I get to pay the previous tax :-(

Still would never change my drive back to fossil. (maybe not even a newer EV?)
...hope there'll be a 4.0 battery pack with quick charge & CCS.

Mine is declared as 40kW also. I am not so sure it is wrong, but I can't find the relevant documentation. It is a question of wether one considers the peak power over a short duration, the maximum continuous power or the maximum power over a specified time. I would have checked the definition of vehicle power in your laws.

Mine is declared as 40kW also. I am not so sure it is wrong, but I can't find the relevant documentation. It is a question of wether one considers the peak power over a short duration, the maximum continuous power or the maximum power over a specified time. I would have checked the definition of vehicle power in your laws.

...this is different from one law to another .
As both are on the COC document (40kW continous) and 225kW peak...the relevant has to be written in the papers.
In Switzerland this even differs from Region to Region (but that's Switzerland)...and I just happen to live in a very backward Region of it, where not the consuption or CO2 is taken into acount but weight and peak power (= almost no electrical cars)

• Informative
Reactions: einhalv
Same thing happened to me, living in Kanton Schwyz. Though I’ve only owned my Roadster for 6 months, so no big bill. I did notice the 40kW figure was quite low when I first got the Fahrzeugausweis, but I figured they might know something I don’t so didn’t question it.