Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong speed limit detected in FSD visualization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are the speed limit signs on the FSD visualization supposed to be showing what is being recognized by the cameras?

If so, for some reason my FSD visualization showed a speed limit sign of 60mph when the sign was for 40

E843E93C-626B-4F62-A79B-479AE408D795.jpeg

Also hello @WilliamG ! It was nice chatting with you today
Hello there, M, and great to meet you, too! That is indeed a weird one. As @EVRider-FL asked, when you passed the sign did the speed switch to 60 or did it stay at 40? The car doesn’t adapt to speed limit signs until it passes them, in my experience.

FYI what you’re seeing is AP visualization, not FSD, though both may use the same sign recognition software.

I dont recall unfortunately. I was at a standstill when I took that picture (which makes it even odder that the cameras recognized the wrong speed limit) and then I had to pay attention to the road once we started moving again. I'll have to pass by that sign again and pay attention next time.

And regarding the "FSD visualization", they call it "FSD Visualization Preview" so that's a little confusing 😄

I dont recall unfortunately. I was at a standstill when I took that picture (which makes it even odder that the cameras recognized the wrong speed limit) and then I had to pay attention to the road once we started moving again. I'll have to pass by that sign again and pay attention next time.

And regarding the "FSD visualization", they call it "FSD Visualization Preview" so that's a little confusing 😄
Yeah there’s not much FSD in that visualization (I think it’s mostly the bins and cones). But yes, it would be interesting to know what happens when you pass that sign again!

Last edited:
Yeah there’s not much FSD in that visualization (I think it’s mostly the bins and cones). But yes, it would be interesting to know what happens when you pass that sign again!
I was driving down the motorway (freeway to americans) in a 50mph section because there was roadworks in the central reservation where they had their own lane. The roadworks had their OWN speed limit sign that said 10. Guess what the ****** car saw and thought the speed limit was - you guessed it! For the next 5-10 miles the car went BING BING because it thought I was going massively over the speed limit!!! Clever - but bloody stupid!

There was another thread where this came up. I don't think that the car actually READS speed limit signs. I think it is using a combination of some other data source and/or just guessing based on other information(road type, location...etc.)

The MobileEye AP1 software was able to actually READ text, but I have not seen a good test that reasonably proved that current software will READ anything. Personally, I have two speed limit signs that I pass daily that aren't acknowledged in any way, doesn't change the speed on the display and not even visualized on the screen.

Here's my post on the most recent video provided to me trying to prove that the car READS signs why-are-tacc-ap-and-fsd-so-bad

I used to use the inbuilt audible tone speed warning, set at +10km over limit. Manual drive, just for advice. There is a repeating audio chime for 10 seconds, if the car thinks that it is over whatever you set. The data base is wrong so often, it became a nuisance, and I had to select it off. Not just wrong, but showing a speed so low it doesn’t exist in local traffic laws. Too bad, loads of speed cameras here and constant changes over short distances. I would have preferred to keep it on and be able to one click cancel the warning via steering wheel, or a shorter warning. 10 seconds is just annoying. Wrong speed limit is concurrently displayed in visualisation. The on screen visual over speed limit, a slightly pulsing sign, is so discrete, I don’t get that any programme would consider that reliably useful.

Last edited: