Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong Speed Limit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2022.24.6 on 2018 Model S. Seems just about every street displays the wrong speed limit on the above wheel dashboard (looks like it’s 10km/h more than the actual speed limit). How can this be fixed? I thought there is a camera that reads the actual signs? I know many other car manufacturers do this.

Are you looking at the speed limit or the max speed icon? The latter is the speed that will be used if you engage AP, and might be 10mph over the speed limit depending on your Speed Assist settings.
949135CD-BCB7-4EB2-B596-BB7F536688ED.jpeg

Here is a perfect example. Speed limit sign is 40 but Tesla shows 50. This happens on almost every street.

I realize you could not photo your problem, but the speed changes after you pass the speed limit sign. Also, the system is designed for a certain type of speed limit sign. It looks like your sign says "Maximum" on it. It probably won't recognize this Canadian sign, since it does not recognize USA Trucks Maximum Speed Limit signs in USA, and it should not. I know they are expanding the recognition of Canadian signs and markings.

I realize you could not photo your problem, but the speed changes after you pass the speed limit sign. Also, the system is designed for a certain type of speed limit sign. It looks like your sign says "Maximum" on it. It probably won't recognize this Canadian sign, since it does not recognize USA Trucks Maximum Speed Limit signs in USA, and it should not. I know they are expanding the recognition of Canadian signs and markings.
Thanks for the info. It does not change even after passing the sign. It’s just weird because I have no idea where it’s pulled
Is the speed limit always displayed in the format in the screenshot? In the US the speed limit indicator says “speed limit” rather than “max.”
yes. One thing I’ve noticed is - it comes up with a (wrong) speed limit on a particular street prior to any signs coming up in real life. And when passing the sign, nothing happens.

This can’t be the case. Tesla sells thousands of cars in Canada and have been probably for 5+ years. If it can’t read the sign, why have the feature showing (it should just not have anything). That’s a standard Canadian speed limit sign which has not changed. I’ll have to do some more research but I thought someone may have come across this before.