Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wrong TPMS Sensor Location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I noticed today that one of my tire's pressure was down to 35 PSI while the other were still at 42. I was surprised that there was no notification about it, as my M3 used to report anything at 38 or below, but maybe they've adjusted the limits since then.

When I got home I checked all the tires and was surprised to see that while the Tesla screen said it was my Left Rear tire, it was actually my Left Front tire that was low. How easy is this for Tesla to fix, is it just software or is there a TPMS receiver by each wheel and they have those receivers connected to the wrong positions?

I got a broken TPMS sensor on my RR tire. It shows like this:
45 ~ 45
42 ~ --

Since I have a persistent warning message of a broken sensor, I keep the TPMS card on because I have a slow leak that will never be reported since a broken sensor message is always blocking anything TPMS related.

With that being said, sometimes they do play musical chairs and I get the -- frequently on my LR tire.

Also occasionally, the -- moves to the RF tire. Never had it in the RL tire, though.

My point is, I think the location is detected based on connection lag. And things can happen with wireless connection, like interference, drops, hardware lags etc. I'm not surprised and it's not a big deal, just check all your tires whenever you get any warning. TPMS helps but it's not incredibly reliable.

This is what happens if you fix something that ain't broke. IMO, the 433Mhz system, although not perfect, was far more reliable than the new BT version. Mine did the same thing up until a week ago but magically fixed itself literally hours before the visit to the SC. I am definitely more on the software glitch side on this one. Since there are no moving parts in the sensor itself, I just don't see them going bad this soon. The batteries in these sensors are supposed to last 5+ years I am told.

This is what happens if you fix something that ain't broke. IMO, the 433Mhz system, although not perfect, was far more reliable than the new BT version. Mine did the same thing up until a week ago but magically fixed itself literally hours before the visit to the SC. I am definitely more on the software glitch side on this one. Since there are no moving parts in the sensor itself, I just don't see them going bad this soon. The batteries in these sensors are supposed to last 5+ years I am told.
Completely agreed. I think they switched to BT so the whole car runs on 2.4GHz, less FCC approvals to get? Technologically, I prefer BT over RF, but WHY come up with a new standard!? We don't need that anymore. Don't "apple" my car!

Completely agreed. I think they switched to BT so the whole car runs on 2.4GHz, less FCC approvals to get? Technologically, I prefer BT over RF, but WHY come up with a new standard!? We don't need that anymore. Don't "apple" my car!
Actually this is not invented by Tesla - I found some info by Bosch (as far as I remember) describing the technology. Unfortunately can't find the page anymore.

Pardon my ignorance new member and considering a MY. How do you switch the BT TPS from the OEM wheels to a new set of wheels, is doing that expensive or is it just move them? Thanks so much!
The BT sensors are just like the ones you see in other cars. Doesn't cost any more to move them. However, I would recommend that you mark each sensor to a wheel and transfer them to the new wheels in the same order (For instance LF to LF not LF to RF). Granted, the sensors are supposedly auto-resetting, but just so that the computer doesn't have to figure out where it is again.

THanks so much. So are they just stuck on the interior of the wheel? Is it possible to move them from one rim to another? Thanks for the help!
Yes. Any tire shop will know what to do. You basically unscrew the stem cover nut from the outside to remove the sensor. It takes more time to remove the wheel and deflate the tire than to remove the sensor.