TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

WSJ Opinion piece on NHTSA fairness (or lack thereof)

Discussion in 'News' started by polyphase, Nov 27, 2013.

1. polyphase

polyphase Member

2. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

Thanks but it's behind a paywall.

3. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Yes behind a paywall. Didn't get to read it but the gist is something I've been worried about. From years in commercial aviation I'm dubious about involving government agencies.

They say the 2 biggest lies in aviation are:

1. FAA: "Where here to help." and
    2. Airline: "We're glad to have you."

4. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

If you're going to play in a regulated industry, you can't ignore the regulators. Just like a good marketing person understands their audience, a company needs to understand the regulatory landscape and how to work with the various worldwide government agencies that set/enforce the rules

That doesn't mean agreeing with everything an agency says and does. It means understanding what motivates them, what pressures they are under, etc. And then working with them.

5. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

#5 hockeythug, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2013
    It's in todays paper and its a slow day at work so what the heck.

[article removed by moderator]

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Moderator note - Please remember the TOS allows 'fair use' quotes, but not complete reproduction of copyrighted material.

Thanks.

7. dm33

dm33 Member

I worry that once you get NHTSA involved, they'll make it their business to tell Tesla how to run theirs. So far they've been pretty hands off Tesla and EVs. But they're likely to justify their time by becoming more involved long term in more areas than Tesla would like.

8. clea

clea Member

I'm curious, why would you say that? Do you know of other scenarios where the NHTSA has meddled in another business' affairs beyond what their mandate dictates?

9. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Reading the comments is always entertaining....

10. hockeythug

hockeythug Active Member

It seems a lot of people on there are under the impression that Tesla hasn't paid its loan off to the government yet.

Example:

11. artsci

artsci Sponsor

#12 artsci, Nov 28, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
    Yes, the WSJ has no shortage of moron readers. Its editorial page has always been to the right of Genghis Kahn but since Rupert Murdoch bought it the entire paper, which used to be decent, has become a rag.

12. lolachampcar

lolachampcar Active Member

Al,

The FAA....
    We're not happy until you're not happy.

13. NoMoGas

NoMoGas Member

Ummmmmmmmmmm The lead is burried... ELON MUSK ASKED NHTSA TO INVESTIGATE.

14. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

The point of the article is that he may live to rue that day. The opinion piece of no fan of the NHTSA and is warning Tesla that the results of the investigation could hurt Tesla. A lot. Regardless of the facts on the ground.

15. polyphase

polyphase Member

Here is the germane quote (fair use, I hope):

GM pickups with side-mounted gas tanks in the 1980s were necessarily more fire-prone in side collisions, yet the truck's overall safety record was exemplary and the vehicle fully complied with federal fuel-system safety standards. That didn't stop the feds from eventually ruling the trucks defective, in response to over-the-top media and interest-group allegations against the company.

There comes a point when hysteria trumps reason.

16. Electric1

Electric1 Member

You may recall that the hysterics had some help from a couple of pyrotechnic oriented TV producers.

17. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Yep, they FAKED an explosion on TV.

18. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

I remember talking to my wife about this at the time. She said she would refuse to ride in one of those trucks. I could not convince her that their safety record showed they were safe overall; she just knew they were unsafe "in one area" so she didn't want to ride in one. (I talked to her about it again yesterday, and now she has a much better view of it).

Our brains are not very good at comprehending the math for rare events; we tend to make decisions based on the emotional impact of single events or anecdotes. Showing a fire on TV tends to stick with people long after they've forgotten the statistics that were presented along with it. (This may have been particularly true for my wife, who had seen four people burn to death in a gas station fire).

This is why faking a fire, as was done for the GM trucks - or even just repeatedly showing a fire that is no way unusual, as has been done for Tesla - causes a serious problem. The public may "demand" a solution to a non-existent problem...or lose faith in an agency that doesn't "do something".

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Did they work for Top Gear UK?

Too soon?