Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ Panamera - Why?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sure, It’s a Sedan, but It’s Also a Porsche

Why on Earth would you buy one of these, when the Tesla Model S exists?!?

Seriously... Model S blows the door out of a Panamera.

WSJ is really doing their readers harm touting this old steam engine like car as something you'd actually want.

WSJ... just... stop.

Actually... all magazines, tv shows, newspapers... just stop portraying gas cars as anything but what they are.
A totally dated mode of transportation that just suck.

It's over.

I also laugh at ICE car commercials.

It's like if Nokia was still trying to sell flip phones as "sexy" and "exciting"

Anyway Panamera totally blow compared to a Model S.

This article should have noted that fact.

Why on Earth would you buy one of these, when the Tesla Model S exists?!?

Seriously... Model S blows the door out of a Panamera.

WSJ is really doing their readers harm touting this old steam engine like car as something you'd actually want.

WSJ... just... stop.

Actually... all magazines, tv shows, newspapers... just stop portraying gas cars as anything but what they are.
A totally dated mode of transportation that just suck.

It's over.

I also laugh at ICE car commercials.

It's like if Nokia was still trying to sell flip phones as "sexy" and "exciting"

Anyway Panamera totally blow compared to a Model S.

This article should have noted that fact.

He's a "car guy".

The Panamera is a good car, especially the e-hybrid version. The model s is still better.

Some people just like the look and sound of a Porsche ICE, and the Panamera gives it to them. If you have the E-Hybrid, then a good portion of commute can be done on EV only. I would say if you don’t mind the busy dash and buttons, the quality of the Panamera interior is better than the model S. The model S blows it away in terms of pure EV performance, OTA that actually gets utilized, and Autopilot.

Of the legacy mfg, Porsche/VW group is at least trying, gotta give that to them.

Reactions: JohnnyG
People have different tastes. I have owned a Model S and also driven the Panamera (both current and prev gen), including a 2017 4S on track.

I think in some areas, like technology, AP, running cost, Tesla is superior.

However in terms of build quality, interior quality, refinement and driving dynamics, there's no competition. In terms of driving dynamics the only thing that the Model S does better is in straight-line acceleration from a standstill. Everything else, the Panamera is superior. The PASM/AS setup is highly comfortable in comfort mode but extremely solid at high speed turning in sport or sport+ modes (Model S is not). The steering is totally precise while Tesla is not (under steers a lot, like most AWD cars)... Basically the Panamera is almost a sports car (like the closes big sedan to a sports car).

The Model S is a high tech, high performance (mostly straight line) sports sedan that's not luxurious. The Panamera is an almost sports car with better interior and greater refinement in general. Technology and lower running costs are Model S's big pluses.

Also many people like the feel of ICE drive trains instead of electric drive trains. I like both.

Last edited:
Funny, about a month ago, I was debating between these two cars. I seriously considered both cars. Honestly, I almost went with the Panamera. So I understand why people still like it. What swayed me was the fact that I felt like I was driving the future in the Model S. Actually more like, I was "in the future" when driving it. So far, I don't regret my decision.

I think it’s going to take a generation or two to swing everyone over. My sons are small and they’ve been drinking the EV revolution kool aid since I’m such a vocal and almost obsessed fan of what is happening in the EV world. My sons see/hear and smell a gas car and don’t understand why people still buy them.

I will never go back to ICE but admittedly when I hear a car with a sweet engine sound getting wound out I grin from ear to ear and probably always will. Notable favourites are Mustang V8s, the Jag F series and of course any of the V10/V12 supercars. To my sons these sounds are “nasty and stupid” ha ha.

The kids are the ones that are going to drive the massive change. Amazing to think that my sons will probably never pump gas........

Reactions: croman and JohnnyG
When considering buying the S, I thought that I would miss the purr of the combustion engine. Now, it just sounds sickly and broken. I think liking the sound is more about the positive association to a desirable product. With many things in life, excess sound is a sign that something is wrong.

Not only is it great that my kids won't have to pump gas, even my two year old can plug in the car. With their toys, fuel nozzles are charging connectors.

I guess the OP will really not understand what I'm doing...we're buying a Panamera to replace our P85D+. Teslas have served us well (we've had two Model S's) but the Porsche offers more for the money. Others have said that the P85D+ has the best balance of performance among all of Tesla's offerings and I have been more than satisfied with the performance of our car. However, the design is dated, we prefer having buttons and other manual controls and the limitations of EVs still bother us. PLUS, the HOV privilege ends early next year and that was a big reason why we bought the Tesla.

Yeah, the Porsche doesn't have the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the P/D Teslas, but I don't race my car and the Porsche's acceleration is more than adequate.

And I actually prefer the overall experience of an ICE car.

To each his own, of course, and I still admire Teslas, they just don't fit my needs and desires.

Many people prefer the sound and feel of a gasoline engine under the hood of their car or truck. I think it will be long time before that sense of pleasure from the "purr" or "roar" of an engine will disappear. And some people truly enjoy thrashing the transmission, managing the throttle and clutch. To them, the silence and one-foot operation of an EV is not true "driving."

Reactions: Eclectic
No no. You don't get to change your argument. Your OP wasn't EV vs ICE. It was Panamera vs. Model S...

Perhaps your ego is so fragile that it can't handle someone reaching a different purchasing decision than you?

Panamera vs. Model S is just a nice comparison because they are so close.

I'm just fascinated as to why anyone would want a big old clunky slow out of date Panamera when Model S is available.

Like when my friend refused to give up his Blackberry... or parents with a Flip-phone... just so interesting.

And I do find it so funny when WSJ and other media are still reviewing ICE cars like they are "exciting"

Many people prefer the sound and feel of a gasoline engine under the hood of their car or truck. I think it will be long time before that sense of pleasure from the "purr" or "roar" of an engine will disappear. And some people truly enjoy thrashing the transmission, managing the throttle and clutch. To them, the silence and one-foot operation of an EV is not true "driving."

I used to be the same. And thought it would be a while before I stopped enjoying that.

But I was surprised how quickly it shifted in my head from power sounding to stupid sounding.

Especially when it makes all this noise and goes... so slow. :)

When the Porsche EVs were announced, the main differentiation between them and Tesla was that they were supposed to have better track capabilities. The Model S had the reputation for barely makeing it aroung the track once before it began to reduce power.

The Model 3 Performance model has taken that advantage away from Porsche.

The earlier Porsches had fantastic motor noises, but the newer ones sound like ASS.

I guess the OP will really not understand what I'm doing...we're buying a Panamera to replace our P85D+. Teslas have served us well (we've had two Model S's) but the Porsche offers more for the money. Others have said that the P85D+ has the best balance of performance among all of Tesla's offerings and I have been more than satisfied with the performance of our car. However, the design is dated, we prefer having buttons and other manual controls and the limitations of EVs still bother us. PLUS, the HOV privilege ends early next year and that was a big reason why we bought the Tesla.

Yeah, the Porsche doesn't have the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the P/D Teslas, but I don't race my car and the Porsche's acceleration is more than adequate.

And I actually prefer the overall experience of an ICE car.

To each his own, of course, and I still admire Teslas, they just don't fit my needs and desires.

A bit off topic, but I hope you keep in touch with TMC & share your experience with the Panamera.

A bit off topic, but I hope you keep in touch with TMC & share your experience with the Panamera.

I can tell you experience:

Dealer will skim as much money as they can off the deal.

He'll have to pay for maintanence to keep engine running - at each time dealers will skim more money from him for unnecessary maintenance jacked up since "he's a guy who bought a Panamera, so let's get more of his money!"

He'll step on the gas and hear a roar and then watch as the Tesla model S next to him makes him look like he is standing still.

He'll have to pay through the nose and fill up every week of stinky gas.

The stinky gas smell will invade his garage.

The tech in the car will be 4 years behind... and never ever update.

The GPS map will be 4 years behind... and the dealer will charge him $350 to update it.

He will search for the correct knob to do the thing he wants to do and never find it.

He will curse the UI of the interface of the 4 year old tech.

He will reach for the app to heat the car on a cold day and realize that there is no app, and if he did turn on the car to heat things, he would kill whoever is in the garage at the time.

He'll watch the re-sale value take a steep dive as everyone who would buy a Panamera, buys a Model S instead.

He will wonder why there is a gas engine in the frunk.