Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ Panamera - Why?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ah yes, externalities.

The fact that you can still dump unlimited amounts of carbon at no personal cost is a huge benefit. Why give a damn about dumping GHG's as long as your own home doesn't burn down in yet another climate-charged wildfire, or that it doesn't flood because you're well above sea level?

The reality is that dumping carbon gives you a "better experience" and that's really all that matters. Only fools care about the planet we leave for future generations--it's all about you and your "overall experience."

Glad we got that out, because, hey, who could possibly care about the reason Tesla exists in the first place, and the single greatest threat to our only planet? It's just dumb to care about such things.

At a time when, more than ever, we need the educated and intelligent to act, we instead get posts like this.

Do you see why I worry about the future of our species, and our planet? Do you see why you should as well?

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
--Carl Sagan

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.
--Anna Lappe

From just last month . . .

Earth’s climate is now changing faster than at any point in the history of modern civilization, primarily as a result of human activities. The impacts of global climate change are already being felt in the United States and are projected to intensify in the future—but the severity of future impacts will depend largely on actions taken to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the changes that will occur. Americans increasingly recognize the risks climate change poses to their everyday lives and livelihoods and are beginning to respond (Figure 1.1). Water managers in the Colorado River Basin have mobilized users to conserve water in response to ongoing drought intensified by higher temperatures, and an extension program in Nebraska is helping ranchers reduce drought and heat risks to their operations. The state of Hawai‘i is developing management options to promote coral reef recovery from widespread bleaching events caused by warmer waters that threaten tourism, fisheries, and coastal protection from wind and waves. To address higher risks of flooding from heavy rainfall, local governments in southern Louisiana are pooling hazard reduction funds, and cities and states in the Northeast are investing in more resilient water, energy, and transportation infrastructure. In Alaska, a tribal health organization is developing adaptation strategies to address physical and mental health challenges driven by climate change and other environmental changes. As Midwestern farmers adopt new management strategies to reduce erosion and nutrient losses caused by heavier rains, forest managers in the Northwest are developing adaptation strategies in response to wildfire increases that affect human health, water resources, timber production, fish and wildlife, and recreation. After extensive hurricane damage fueled in part by a warmer atmosphere and warmer, higher seas, communities in Texas are considering ways to rebuild more resilient infrastructure. In the U.S. Caribbean, governments are developing new frameworks for storm recovery based on lessons learned from the 2017 hurricane season.

Climate-related risks will continue to grow without additional action. Decisions made today determine risk exposure for current and future generations and will either broaden or limit options to reduce the negative consequences of climate change. While Americans are responding in ways that can bolster resilience and improve livelihoods, neither global efforts to mitigate the causes of climate change nor regional efforts to adapt to the impacts currently approach the scales needed to avoid substantial damages to the U.S. economy, environment, and human health and well-being over the coming decades.

[truncated]

Source:
Fourth National Climate Assessment: Chapter 1: Overview

AND see:

climate.nasa.gov

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...?utm_term=.5629bedecc30&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

And this drives the point home--we are in for a world of hurt when seriously evil people end up in very, very high places:

Why Publish a Dire Federal Climate Report on Black Friday? - The Atlantic

I now understand TL;DR.

Goodbye.

I now understand TL;DR.

Goodbye.

Of course, of course.

Discovering that our actions are not in alignment with our supposed self-image would be an easy reason to "TL;DR" instead of engaging with, ah, facts that might change our worldview.

The unexamined life is not worth living - Wikipedia

I think we can all see what's happening here, and it really emphasizes the moral imperative of buying EV's, and Teslas even more so since they're the only "pure play" in this space. (The other brands are selling their token EV's simply to offset their CAFE penalties of selling so many gas hogging SUV's.)

Really remarkable how Tesla managed to snag buyers so clueless about the real reason to buy a Tesla, but a true testament to Tesla for making such a great car in the first place!

Sure, It’s a Sedan, but It’s Also a Porsche
Sure, It’s a Sedan, but It’s Also a Porsche
Why on Earth would you buy one of these, when the Tesla Model S exists?!? Seriously... Model S blows the door out of a Panamera.
WSJ is really doing their readers harm touting this old steam engine like car as something you'd actually want. WSJ... just... stop.
Actually... all magazines, tv shows, newspapers... just stop portraying gas cars as anything but what they are.
A totally dated mode of transportation that just suck. It's over.
I also laugh at ICE car commercials. It's like if Nokia was still trying to sell flip phones as "sexy" and "exciting"
Anyway Panamera totally blow compared to a Model S. This article should have noted that fact.

Porsche has a transition problem... the Panamera is simply a Porsche PHEV with training wheels until the Taycan arrives :cool:

The fact is this - whether an ICE drive train feels better or an electric drive train feels better is a matter of opinion. Just because an electric drive train accelerates faster from a stop does not mean it's superior. It's analogous to Porsche having mostly gone turbo on all of their cars. Yet many people still prefer naturally aspirated cars and their pre-owned values have thus increased.

EV vs. ICE difference in terms of driving dynamics is much much bigger than turbo vs. NA. It's only natural for some to prefer one or the other, or simply understand their differences and appreciate both. I used to totally think EV will take over when I drove and bought my first Tesla in 2015. However after having both Model S and 3 and owning/driving ICE at the same time, I am more on the side that both have their +'s and -'s depending on the situation and that I will own both for the foreseeable future.

People who buy the Kia Stinger wonder why anyone would spend money on a Panamera or Model S. Same car but less than half the price. I owned a 2010 Panamera 4S and had a 2019 Panamera as a loaner for a week. Great cars. The suspension on the new Panamera was sublime. Fit and finish was also tough to beat. All of them are great cars, it all depends on what one is looking for and how much they want to spend or think something is worth to them.

Reactions: jddssc121