Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ Panamera - Why?!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can tell you experience:

Dealer will skim as much money as they can off the deal.

He'll have to pay for maintanence to keep engine running - at each time dealers will skim more money from him for unnecessary maintenance jacked up since "he's a guy who bought a Panamera, so let's get more of his money!"

He'll step on the gas and hear a roar and then watch as the Tesla model S next to him makes him look like he is standing still.

He'll have to pay through the nose and fill up every week of stinky gas.

The stinky gas smell will invade his garage.

The tech in the car will be 4 years behind... and never ever update.

The GPS map will be 4 years behind... and the dealer will charge him $350 to update it.

He will search for the correct knob to do the thing he wants to do and never find it.

He will curse the UI of the interface of the 4 year old tech.

He will reach for the app to heat the car on a cold day and realize that there is no app, and if he did turn on the car to heat things, he would kill whoever is in the garage at the time.

He'll watch the re-sale value take a steep dive as everyone who would buy a Panamera, buys a Model S instead.

He will wonder why there is a gas engine in the frunk.
The Panamera has excellent resale value:
15 Cars That Hold Their Resale Value - Page 8 of 15 - Carophile

And I think the maintenance is also comparable:
https://www.germanautocenter.com/po...osts-learn-how-much-you-should-expect-to-pay/

Although the interior quality blows the Model S away IMHO.

porsche-image.jpg

We considered the Porsche, Panamera, Cayenne, and the soon to be out Taycan, too before buying the Model S P100D. Also, ICE Mercedes, Audi, Bentley etc

The main reason we decided on the Model S is that we wanted an EV and Tesla’s supercharger network. The Taycan isn’t out and there is no charging network like Tesla. Yes, they promise Superchargers like Tesla but that is just a concept for now. Porsche’s are great looking cars with seemly an infinite number of choices for customization and options but they use gas and charging is an issue for us because we do not have a garage or a home charger.

Also, after test driving available cars - it really is no contest. The P100D is a blast to drive. The Panamera and Cayenne, Mercedes S class, Bentley, etc doesn’t compare. They drive like any other car, IMO. I know many people love the sound of a roaring engine, I love the quiet, complete silence coupled with rocket throttle: super cool.

I’ll be honest about being biased against the Panamera. My regular mechanic had one in with transmission problems that was less than 2 yrs old when I took in my 20+ yr old Honda for an oil change: that car never had transmission or any issues besides regular wear and tear and still runs great. Hmmmm

Last edited:
We considered the Porsche, Panamera, Cayenne, and the soon to be out Taycan, too before buying the Model S P100D. Also, ICE Mercedes, Audi, Bentley etc

The main reason we decided on the Model S is that we wanted an EV and Tesla’s supercharger network. The Taycan isn’t out and there is no charging network like Tesla. Yes, they promise Superchargers like Tesla but that is just a concept for now. Porsche’s are great looking cars with seemly an infinite number of choices for customization and options but they use gas and charging is an issue for us because we do not have a garage or a home charger.

Also, after test driving available cars - it really is no contest. The P100D is a blast to drive. The Panamera and Cayenne, Mercedes S class, Bentley, etc doesn’t compare. They drive like any other car, IMO. I know many people love the sound of a roaring engine, I love the quiet, complete silence coupled with rocket throttle: super cool.
So how will you be charging your P100d if you do not have a garage or home charger?

The Panamera has excellent resale value:
15 Cars That Hold Their Resale Value - Page 8 of 15 - Carophile

And I think the maintenance is also comparable:
Porsche Repair and Maintenance Costs: Learn How Much You Should Expect to Pay -

Although the interior quality blows the Model S away IMHO.

porsche-image.jpg

Resale value for all upscale gas cars is about to go off cliff as the market moves to electric.

Maintenance of ICE is far far higher than dealing with simple electric motor. And then factor in dealer’s jacking up prices and not needed service.

As for interior. Personal preference. But I recently had to rent a camera after driving X and the Porsche felt like a mess. So much stuff in it. So confined feeling. Lipstick in a pig. Plus horrible pickup. Couldn’t wait to get back to my X.

I think there are many subjective things in buying any car and many objective things in buying. I NEVER get into what someone else should or shouldn't buy and the why of it. I love my S90D and wouldn't replace it for anything... I mean anything (well sorry, maybe I would for a S100D, but that's it).

I do remember once watching an episode Top Gear where they had a Panamera racing around some street course in a 3 car comparison and they were preaching all of the virtues of the Panamera but everytime it came around the track, all three guys would cringe at how ugly it was. Funny episode but to some, it is ugly to others it is a thing of beauty. To each their own.

Here is a quote from that episode...

Jeremy begins with the ugliness of the Panamera – “This isn’t just hideous compared to the other two, it’s hideous compared to a genital wart.”

I am happy to say, I don't ever see myself ever owning an ICE car again.

I have not ridden in a Panamera but two of my friends have them. One of the friends commented to me that they love the fact that the interior is so nice, and that the back seat is just as nice and as comfortable as the front -- she claims that Porsche made the back seat area spacious so that 4 adults could actually ride together in comfort. Not many cars have back seats as nice and spacious as the front. As I said, I have not been in it, but it looks gorgeous. (I dislike the back seat of my Model S and am always amazed that my occasional guests seem to like it much better than I. Maybe they are all just too polite to complain.)

A bit off topic, but I hope you keep in touch with TMC & share your experience with the Panamera.

To be clear, we're actually keeping the P85D+ as well (for now). The resale market on P85Ds is pretty tragic and since we have unlimited supercharging for the life of the car we're going to use it to run errands around town, park at the airport, etc. We're going to drop the PG&E TOU plan that actually was not such a great deal in the summer months and just use superchargers exclusively.

So I'll have ample opportunities to compare the Panamera to the Tesla over the coming few years and if anyone at TMC is interested in our take, I'd be happy to share it.

As for the post that predicts I'll be offended by gas stations and the smell of gas, I like the smell of gas and there are far worse things to have to deal with in life than a 5 minute stop at a gas station...

Reactions: AustinP
To be clear, we're actually keeping the P85D+ as well (for now). The resale market on P85Ds is pretty tragic and since we have unlimited supercharging for the life of the car we're going to use it to run errands around town, park at the airport, etc. We're going to drop the PG&E TOU plan that actually was not such a great deal in the summer months and just use superchargers exclusively.

So I'll have ample opportunities to compare the Panamera to the Tesla over the coming few years and if anyone at TMC is interested in our take, I'd be happy to share it.

As for the post that predicts I'll be offended by gas stations and the smell of gas, I like the smell of gas and there are far worse things to have to deal with in life than a 5 minute stop at a gas station...

Would definitely be interested in your thoughts as you live with both.

We tried to have both gas and electric and couldn't handle it. Just going to the gas was such a downer after electric that no one wanted to drive the gas.

So you are heading into the the ultimate test, both are in your driveway, which do you start to gravitate towards?

Though a P85D is a little old a this point (imagine that), but still probably holds its own pretty well. And new car smell is very powerful. You really need both a new Panamera and a new Tesla 100D in your driveway. :)

Should be interesting...

Would definitely be interested in your thoughts as you live with both.

We tried to have both gas and electric and couldn't handle it. Just going to the gas was such a downer after electric that no one wanted to drive the gas.

So you are heading into the the ultimate test, both are in your driveway, which do you start to gravitate towards?

Though a P85D is a little old a this point (imagine that), but still probably holds its own pretty well. And new car smell is very powerful. You really need both a new Panamera and a new Tesla 100D in your driveway. :)

Should be interesting...

We're in a bit of a unique situation since we split our time between the Bay Area and Montana. The Panamera will join the Subaru Outback we bought earlier this year in Montana. A typical drive there is usually at least 200 miles+ without a supercharger nearby, so a nice high speed cruiser like the Porsche will be great, while the P85D was never a good choice there. In the Bay Area, where we spend less time every month, the Tesla and my old VW Rabbit will be the go-to vehicles.

The Tesla is a great car for California. It's not so great for rural Montana.

• Informative
Reactions: David29
We're in a bit of a unique situation since we split our time between the Bay Area and Montana. The Panamera will join the Subaru Outback we bought earlier this year in Montana. A typical drive there is usually at least 200 miles+ without a supercharger nearby, so a nice high speed cruiser like the Porsche will be great, while the P85D was never a good choice there. In the Bay Area, where we spend less time every month, the Tesla and my old VW Rabbit will be the go-to vehicles.

The Tesla is a great car for California. It's not so great for rural Montana.

Yeah, I can see that.

Eastern coast it is no brainer as superchargers are now everywhere. I find I pass them more than stop at them.

Probably Montana will be a better fit when they come out with something like Model Y 200D.

Reactions: David29
What I was going to say in my earlier post here is that I believe Tesla and Porsche have something in common, and that's that you don't really know how awesome it is until you experience it yourself. Ten years ago I set out to buy a fun sports car and I test drove just about everything you could imagine up to a Mercedes SL65 AMG (a ~$180k car). Then I drove a Porsche Boxter. That was a blast. It was the most fun of any car I drove. Then I drove a 911 Turbo S Cabriolet. And wow. I bought one. I just had never had that much fun in a car before.

The same thing happened when I test drove the P85D. And now that I own one I like more and more about it every day.

People who have never driven a Porsche don't really know how fun they are. People who have never driven a Tesla don't know how awesome they are. I would ideally have both :)

I guess the OP will really not understand what I'm doing...we're buying a Panamera to replace our P85D+. Teslas have served us well (we've had two Model S's) but the Porsche offers more for the money. Others have said that the P85D+ has the best balance of performance among all of Tesla's offerings and I have been more than satisfied with the performance of our car. However, the design is dated, we prefer having buttons and other manual controls and the limitations of EVs still bother us. PLUS, the HOV privilege ends early next year and that was a big reason why we bought the Tesla.

Yeah, the Porsche doesn't have the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times of the P/D Teslas, but I don't race my car and the Porsche's acceleration is more than adequate.

And I actually prefer the overall experience of an ICE car.

To each his own, of course, and I still admire Teslas, they just don't fit my needs and desires.

Ah yes, externalities.

The fact that you can still dump unlimited amounts of carbon at no personal cost is a huge benefit. Why give a damn about dumping GHG's as long as your own home doesn't burn down in yet another climate-charged wildfire, or that it doesn't flood because you're well above sea level?

The reality is that dumping carbon gives you a "better experience" and that's really all that matters. Only fools care about the planet we leave for future generations--it's all about you and your "overall experience."

Glad we got that out, because, hey, who could possibly care about the reason Tesla exists in the first place, and the single greatest threat to our only planet? It's just dumb to care about such things.

At a time when, more than ever, we need the educated and intelligent to act, we instead get posts like this.

Do you see why I worry about the future of our species, and our planet? Do you see why you should as well?

Our species needs, and deserves, a citizenry with minds wide awake and a basic understanding of how the world works.
--Carl Sagan

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.
--Anna Lappe

From just last month . . .

Earth’s climate is now changing faster than at any point in the history of modern civilization, primarily as a result of human activities. The impacts of global climate change are already being felt in the United States and are projected to intensify in the future—but the severity of future impacts will depend largely on actions taken to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and to adapt to the changes that will occur. Americans increasingly recognize the risks climate change poses to their everyday lives and livelihoods and are beginning to respond (Figure 1.1). Water managers in the Colorado River Basin have mobilized users to conserve water in response to ongoing drought intensified by higher temperatures, and an extension program in Nebraska is helping ranchers reduce drought and heat risks to their operations. The state of Hawai‘i is developing management options to promote coral reef recovery from widespread bleaching events caused by warmer waters that threaten tourism, fisheries, and coastal protection from wind and waves. To address higher risks of flooding from heavy rainfall, local governments in southern Louisiana are pooling hazard reduction funds, and cities and states in the Northeast are investing in more resilient water, energy, and transportation infrastructure. In Alaska, a tribal health organization is developing adaptation strategies to address physical and mental health challenges driven by climate change and other environmental changes. As Midwestern farmers adopt new management strategies to reduce erosion and nutrient losses caused by heavier rains, forest managers in the Northwest are developing adaptation strategies in response to wildfire increases that affect human health, water resources, timber production, fish and wildlife, and recreation. After extensive hurricane damage fueled in part by a warmer atmosphere and warmer, higher seas, communities in Texas are considering ways to rebuild more resilient infrastructure. In the U.S. Caribbean, governments are developing new frameworks for storm recovery based on lessons learned from the 2017 hurricane season.

Climate-related risks will continue to grow without additional action. Decisions made today determine risk exposure for current and future generations and will either broaden or limit options to reduce the negative consequences of climate change. While Americans are responding in ways that can bolster resilience and improve livelihoods, neither global efforts to mitigate the causes of climate change nor regional efforts to adapt to the impacts currently approach the scales needed to avoid substantial damages to the U.S. economy, environment, and human health and well-being over the coming decades.

[truncated]

Source:
Fourth National Climate Assessment: Chapter 1: Overview

AND see:

climate.nasa.gov

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...?utm_term=.5629bedecc30&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

And this drives the point home--we are in for a world of hurt when seriously evil people end up in very, very high places:

Why Publish a Dire Federal Climate Report on Black Friday? - The Atlantic