Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ story on semi-autonomous feature today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a story on WSJ on Tesla's semiautonomous feature that says "Tesla will soon being equipping newer Model S sedans with semiautonomous features, including the capability to pass other cars without driver intervention". I am reading this to imply that Tesla will soon upgrade Model S to a 3-lens solution from Mobile eye versus the current single lens Mobile eye solution on Tesla cars. But on Tesla's website that advertises Autopilot, "automatically change lanes by tapping turn signal" is advertised as a feature of the Autopilot. Does anyone know exactly what features are eventually possible with the current single lens system and what extra features you will get when they make cars with a 3-lens system? (my understanding now is that the single lens cars cannot be upgraded to 3 lenses later on).

I'd say the reason lane change is tied to the turn signal is that the car cannot determine a safe lane change on its own. That is why it requires driver intervention to change lanes. The driver is responsible for checking if it is safe, and initiating the lane change, even if the car will perform the actual maneuver.

I'd say the reason lane change is tied to the turn signal is that the car cannot determine a safe lane change on its own. That is why it requires driver intervention to change lanes. The driver is responsible for checking if it is safe, and initiating the lane change, even if the car will perform the actual maneuver.
Yes, the consensus seems to be that driver intervention is required to initiate the lane change because the car lacks a rear-facing radar so it can't perceive a rapidly-approaching car in the passing lane.

I think the most likely explanation for the Wall Street Journal story is that they've simply inaccurately reported the upcoming features.

Here is a comment from Mobile Eye in their conference call a couple of days ago (they make the vision system for Tesla and a leader with other automobiles).

"As for our progress in automated driving, we have currently four OEM in production programs with trifocal, with launches from 2016 to 2018; andwe have eight additional OEMs in pre-development programs with trifocal. On top of this, we have two mono programs targeting 2016".

This is why I assumed perhaps the WSJ story referred to the move to trifocal by Tesla.. My guess is we will get trifocal with Model X.. I would not be surprised if Model S goes trifocal soon as well. What I was curious to find out was what trifocal gives vs mono. The autopilot update that Tesla will release on Model S this summer will be based on the existing mono hardware. I personally do not want to wait for trifocal -> as there is 6-focal behind it and so on. if you wait, you will be waiting forever..