Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WSJ: Tesla begins taking Model 3 orders from first-time reservation holders

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article text for those who don't have a subscription. Added emphasis to the citation.

EDIT: Confirmed.... IT'S HAPPENING!!

===================================

Tesla Inc. TSLA +4.04% for the first time is notifying some reservation holders new to the electric-car brand that they can begin configuring and ordering their Model 3 sedan.

The milestone suggests production of the vehicle at Tesla’s assembly plant is picking up steam after a turbulent beginning in July. Previously, the Silicon Valley auto maker had limited opening orders to reservation holders who were employees or had been previous Tesla customers.

The Model 3 represents a key part of Chief Executive Elon Musk’s strategy to remake Tesla from niche luxury-car company into a mainstream player that sells electric vehicles, solar panels and storage batteries.

Tesla confirmed a small group of customers are receiving notifications Thursday based on when they placed their reservations. The company traditionally has rolled out invitations in small groups and over time aligned them to production rates.

Tesla has received about 500,000 reservations for the Model 3 since revealing the sedan in 2016. The company expects that customers invited to complete their design will receive their cars about four weeks after placing their order.

Production on the Model 3 began in July last year, and Tesla has struggled to meet its ambitious goals.

In January, the company reported delivering about 1,600 Model 3 vehicles during the final three months of 2017—well below its goal of a build rate of 5,000 Model 3s on a weekly basis. Tesla pushed back that goal until the end of the first half. A rate of 5,000 vehicles a week would equal about 250,000 cars a year.

Last edited:
I didn't get an e-mail from Tesla, but I logged in and can configure now! I'm a non-owner who reserved around 11:15AM on day 1 in San Diego. I really want the white interior though... Hmm... I'm going to sit on it for a few days.

Edit 3 minutes later: Do I really want to sit on it for a few days? Oh, the agony...

My Model 3 is ready to be designed. Holy Smokes!!!!!!!

When/where did you reserve, Mr. Garner?

First Production - Now
Base Vehicle - Late 18
Dual Motor AWD - Mid 18

C'mon Tesla... It's long past time to give your customers details about the AWD vehicle!!! Price, specs, and any options bundling.

Stop being secretive about this. Allow your customers with invites to configure to make informed decisions.

Even if you didn't care about these customers' concerns, making this info available now may very well encourage MORE people to go with AWD and make Tesla MORE money!