Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

WTB: 2011 Roadster Sport 2.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTB: 2011 Roadster Sport 2.5

WTB - 2011 Roadster Sport 2.5 Wanting to pay between 60-65K with less than 20K miles.

List Date: 2/22/2016

For more info, click here to view the original listing: WTB: 2011 Roadster Sport 2.5
--------------------------------------
Want to Buy (WTB) Please Contact Buyer with offers.

contactbuyer.png
--------------------------------------
tesla-motors-club.gif

As the owner of a 2011 Roadster Sport 2.5, I pay attention to the market value of this particular model. Ecarfan is exactly right. Best of luck. If you find one with that low of price, inspect it very very closely - because the odds are high that something is wrong. Prices are going up, not down.

Same here Bonnie...to the OP, for the sale of a "valid" unit of what you desire, your price is way off...

As the owner of a 2011 Roadster Sport 2.5, I pay attention to the market value of this particular model. Ecarfan is exactly right. Best of luck. If you find one with that low of price, inspect it very very closely - because the odds are high that something is wrong. Prices are going up, not down.

I think it's funny that the owners of the roadster are the ones complaining about the lower price point of the car. I was interested in a 2011 2.5 and called tesla and asked them what it was worth to them. I was told they won't go more than 55-60. So, people can ask what they want or think or hope it's worth more, but the market is the market. However, doesn't mean that at some point it doesn't deserve course and start gaining value, which I believe will happen eventually.

I think it's funny that the owners of the roadster are the ones complaining about the lower price point of the car. I was interested in a 2011 2.5 and called tesla and asked them what it was worth to them. I was told they won't go more than 55-60. So, people can ask what they want or think or hope it's worth more, but the market is the market. However, doesn't mean that at some point it doesn't deserve course and start gaining value, which I believe will happen eventually.

I based my response on what that model had been getting recently. But if you want to categorize that as 'complaining', not much I can do about that.

Tesla's trade-in values are typically 20% below private sale prices. So, that matches bonnie's estimate. And, with only 182 2011 Roadster Sports delivered to the USA, availability will be more limiting than price.

When we sold our Sig Model S to acquire the P85D, Tesla's trade in quote was over $10,000 less that I sold it for...that was on an 18 month old vehicle.

No one is complaining, and please excuse us if we decide to sell our vehicles, but demand fair value.

BTW, there is a vast difference between Roadster platforms, options, trim levels, condition, accessories, etc...it would be wrong to generalize a $5,000 range on a vehicle which sold between $100,000 and $200,000...

I based my response on what that model had been getting recently. But if you want to categorize that as 'complaining', not much I can do about that.

"complaining" is from my limited vocabulary. But my point is that tesla trade in makes it hard to mentally purchase one of these cars. I was actually considering a 2.5 at what I thought was a pretty good deal. I called my tesla guy and was shocked when I asked him his opinion of value on that car. It's hard to purchase a car, knowing that vs tesla trade in, you are out of pocket 15-20k. No offense intended.

I think it's funny that the owners of the roadster are the ones complaining about the lower price point of the car. I was interested in a 2011 2.5 and called tesla and asked them what it was worth to them. I was told they won't go more than 55-60. So, people can ask what they want or think or hope it's worth more, but the market is the market.
I do not see any "complaining" posts so far in this thread.
I am confused by the part of your post where you say you were "interested" in a 2.5 Roadster (does that mean you wanted to buy one?) and asked Tesla what such a car was worth. Do you mean the open market values for Roadsters? Why would Tesla provide you with such information? Of course Tesla might provide you with what they would pay for a trade in.
When I was looking to buy a Roadster in 2014 and Tesla was still selling CPO Roadsters, they were pricing 2.5 Sport models at well over $80K. My reading of the current market shows that values have not declined. And the announced availability of the 3.0 battery has likely contributed to holding values steady, if not boosting them.

When I was looking for a Roadster to buy in 2014 I found that sites like autotrader.com and cars.com and others frequently had cars posted at "to good to be true" prices. When I enquired about such cars I always got a story about how the car was perfect but it wasn't available for inspection or the owner was out of the country so could not answer questions but the car could be shipped immediately upon receipt of payment, yada yada yada. It was easy to spot the scams.
I am not saying that the cars.com ad you linked to is a scam. I am only saying that one has to be careful with cars for sale online at "attractive" prices.

Last edited:

You are comparing apples to oranges here. Tesla like any other dealer will give wholesale when buying a car. Tesla will then turn around and add a good $10k or more before they sell it.

I do not see any "complaining" posts so far in this thread.
I am confused by the part of your post where you say you were "interested" in a 2.5 Roadster (does that mean you wanted to buy one?) and asked Tesla what such a car was worth. Do you mean the open market values for Roadsters? Why would Tesla provide you with such information? Of course Tesla might provide you with what they would pay for a trade in.
When I was looking to buy a Roadster in 2014 and Tesla was still selling CPO Roadsters, they were pricing 2.5 Sport models at well over $80K. My reading of the current market shows that values have not declined. And the announced availability of the 3.0 battery has likely contributed to holding values steady, if not boosting them.

yes. Impromptu purchases are one of my weaknesses. So I've been all over the place recently. Somehow purchased a slightly used p85d this week and picking up my model X this week as well. So while a bit insane, I am certainly not a tesla basher. I found a really nice roadster on eBay for what I thought was a decent price (I don't remember exactly. I think hi 60s with extremely low miles). I called tesla to gauge what their trade in value was - as my worst case in case I didn't like it) and I was told it was max 55-60. If you knew me, you'd know that I am not one to bs.

Have to agree with others in this thread.

You can't compare "Wholesale Trade-In" value with "Private Party Retail" value. Doesn't matter if it's a Tesla or a Kia...there's going to be a huge gap in those two prices.

While we'd all like to buy a car and then, in 6 months...if we decided we didn't like it...sell it for what we paid for it, but that's not very realistic.

Unfortunately, this car IS a scam.
Texas Direct Auto sold this car for $74,780 in December of 2014. That buyer re-listed and sold the car for at least $10,000 higher on eBay in February of 2015.

SINCE then, it's been re-listed on cars.com with minimal info, varying & inconsistent mileage, and the same photos posted on eBay from the original buyer.

I've reported it twice, but I got tired of it when at times it was actually listed TWICE with different sellers and prices. It's kind of hilarious. Cars.com seems to be a loophole site for these types of scams. Be careful!