Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Wanted (WTB) and For Trade (WTT) listings should now be posted in one of the Marketplace categories. To post a WTB or WTT trade thread, please click here, then choose the category most appropriate for your listing, and then select the appropriate listing type.

WTB 3rd row seats in Philly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this isn't what you want to hear but... those are a factory install only. Cars with that option are actually equipped with additional reinforcement to protect the 3rd row in rear-end collisions.

This. Unless you have an early VIN (the cutoff I believe was in the 5k range) you can't just add the 3rd row. Time to sell and order a new car.

You can't retrofit these because when ordered from the factory they reinforce the rear bumper with a 2nd boron-steel bumper than can withstand a huge impact without crumbling inwards (to protect the kids). When you don't order these, that reinforced 2nd bumper is not installed, so that the 'crumble zone' in the rear is larger to absorb more of an impact to protect the other passengers. If you were to attempt retrofitting this, you are very much endangering the lives of the children as the rear is designed to crumble inwards without that reinforced boron steel.

My VIN is 7000. BUT this car is a floor model they used in CA for test drives. Is there any chance that the car was built with that option but the 3rd row seats are not in it?
Any signs I can look for in the car? Or just call Tesla and check?

My VIN is 7000. BUT this car is a floor model they used in CA for test drives. Is there any chance that the car was built with that option but the 3rd row seats are not in it?

Your best bet would be to give Tesla a call. Congratulations, it sounds like you may have a Model X in your future at some point :)

Doubtful - you would have the metal latches and the trunk release on the inside of the trunk (reachable by a kid sitting in the jump seats). I was able to retrofit them because I had a VIN below the 54xx cutoff. On my estimate, it said something like "crossmember not required" - the technician said it would have been $6000 to retrofit the reinforcement, so I believe it is possible, just pretty expensive.

You can give Tesla a call, but it's highly unlikely as the mid-5,000s was the cut off.

You'll have to call Tesla and/or ask your SC. We were able to have them added to our car for $2,900. When we ordered our car our son was an infant so we were planning to wait for the children of someone here to outgrow them and offer them for sale. But then we decided that Tesla may someday change their minds and not install them any more so we just did it.

- - - Updated - - -

Am I mistaken or is the bolt on reinforcement this brace they refer to? If so, why would that piece of stamped steel be $6000?
Purely speculating based on what was written on my work order but I believe the rear quarter panels are different with that brace and so would need to be modified.

Doubtful - you would have the metal latches and the trunk release on the inside of the trunk (reachable by a kid sitting in the jump seats). I was able to retrofit them because I had a VIN below the 54xx cutoff. On my estimate, it said something like "crossmember not required" - the technician said it would have been $6000 to retrofit the reinforcement, so I believe it is possible, just pretty expensive.

Am I mistaken or is the bolt on reinforcement this brace they refer to? If so, why would that piece of stamped steel be $6000?

That's a better deal than the parking sensor retrofit. That's also near $6000, apparently.

for a $6000 retrofit cost, I'd rather just save that money and trade up to a Model X.

3rd row seat

Just got the news that the 4th child is due in July and I'd love to keep my MS.
Anyone looking to sell the 3rd row seats?

I have a 3rd row seat for sale from a 2013 Model S. It has never been used and comes with all of the original hardware. I'm not sure at what point the cars were all reinforced to accept the seat. You can check and get back to me. I'm in Redwood City, CA and will ship if you will pay to the UPS Store pack and ship it to you.

Best of luck with the new baby!!! $1500.

Hazel
954-254-1063

- - - Updated - - -

Just got the news that the 4th child is due in July and I'd love to keep my MS.
Anyone looking to sell the 3rd row seats?

I have a 3rd row seat for sale from a 2013 Model S. It has never been used and comes with all of the original hardware. I'm not sure at what point the cars were all reinforced to accept the seat. You can check and get back to me. I'm in Redwood City, CA and will ship if you will pay to the UPS Store pack and ship it to you.

Best of luck with the new baby!!! $1500.

HT